It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do politicians vote along party lines ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Regardless of any party affiliation, I feel that the politician represents the American public's wishes. I don't brand myself to any party affiliation due to that fact when giving out names to groups it just causes hate or their of . Ex. Would be religion or any way of spiritual acceptances. It just causes anyone not in that group to think negative of everyone else. For me, I don't think that way since I do have the courage to use my own understanding of enlightment .

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Why do folks vote along Party Lines that elect the officials that vote along Party Lines
You have to start there.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Why do folks vote along Party Lines that elect the officials that vote along Party Lines
You have to start there.

I do hope we get some good explanations going on in this thread.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Because a large chunk of the campaign funds for elections comes from the parties.

Also, 3rd parties don't get media coverage.

In summary: money + media = election wins.

To keep the gravy train rolling, politicians have to play ball for the party.

It's a sick sad state of affairs.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Because a large chunk of the campaign funds for elections comes from the parties.

Also, 3rd parties don't get media coverage.

In summary: money + media = election wins.

To keep the gravy train rolling, politicians have to play ball for the party.

It's a sick sad state of affairs.

Thanks for your explanation. Kind of like not giving to the church what is expected of you.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

In a representative democracy, politicians are expected to represent the constituency that votes them into office.

We want our elected officials to enact laws that reflect what we, who elected them, represent our beliefs and opinions.

Like it or not, we get what we vote for.

Or we vote for someone else.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Many politicians find that they have to accept the general party line in order to get any assistance and backing during election times. If they don't tow the line, while in office, they will lose all support and usually will not be able to afford to run for re election.

It really does suck when you assist local politicians up the ladder and they seem to turn against everything they said they were for in the beginning. It seems once they reach state level there is no hope for them but to agree with their party lines. Sigh.

I wish it was different too. I wish that individuals would actually be able to represent those folks who vote for them individually...and not have to tow the party line. It sucks for them and for us, the citizens of America. The executive party line is naturally swayed by $$$ from sponsors and lobbyist. It is certain career suicide for a politician not to agree with the party majority.

So when you vote...one has to always recognize this aspect. We have to unfortunately look at the party leaders representing...and realize no matter how honest and sincere a candidate seems...ask yourself whether you are more likely to agree more with the party leader or not. Then cast your vote.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Regardless of any party affiliation, I feel that the politician represents the American public's wishes. I don't brand myself to any party affiliation due to that fact when giving out names to groups it just causes hate or their of . Ex. Would be religion or any way of spiritual acceptances. It just causes anyone not in that group to think negative of everyone else. For me, I don't think that way since I do have the courage to use my own understanding of enlightment .

Creating political parties keeps the people divided. It's easier to control and manipulate a divided population than it is to control a people united.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

In a representative democracy, politicians are expected to represent the constituency that votes them into office.

We want our elected officials to enact laws that reflect what we, who elected them, represent our beliefs and opinions.

They may be expected to represent the peoples wishes but this is a misguided assumption. The fact that we are a republic with a constitution they swear an oath to uphold and defend is supposed to be their first and foremost responsibility in upholding that before any other perceived responsibility. But dam the constitution and support the party for that is where the money and reelection support comes from.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar

But many votes for Congress are 52%to 48% kinda votes. If Congressman or women actually represented ALL of their voters in a district there would be more bipartisan legislation. Such legislation is infinitely better than one Party legislation.

I hate that neither side is willing to give even a quarter loaf of bread to the other side in order to get important laws done.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Everyone wants mob rule. As long as It's there mob ruling of course. Because anyone who doesn't think like me is too stupid to have an opinion. I think that sums up the mindset of most people.

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

Your title isn't exactly true.

The vote on the last immigration bill, for instance, has about half of the Republicans voting against it.

If a party has dissenting votes, then it is possible that they are actually voting for their constituents.

Now look at the Democrat party... they vote in a block. Like the Borg.

Pretty much all in or not... they HAVE to because, as another poster stated, for them not to do so is political suicide.

So there is a difference between the two parties. A lot of it is about funding.

edit on 29-6-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
a reply to: CharlesT

Everyone wants mob rule. As long as It's there mob ruling of course. Because anyone who doesn't think like me is too stupid to have an opinion. I think that sums up the mindset of most people.

According to you, I must be in the minority, wanting my elective officials to actually negotiate and get and give a little to ensure that during their time in office I can see I am represented by bipartisan legislation actually passing. The last thing I want to see is my representatives simply throwing tantrums with their fingers in their ears!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

It isn't very often that the best candidate with the best ideas belongs to either party. But the problem is the two parties run the show. The little guy will never make it to the stage for a debate or get the tv spots like the dems and reps do. Until this changes the only way your vote can actually count, assuming it does at all, is to vote for one of the two bigger parties.

With so many blatant discrepancies and outright lies about votes cast and votes not allowed, I wonder if anyone really knows who won any of these elections. And the illegal alien vote is another huge issue. No less than 12 million illegals in this country but according to dems they didn't vote, even though the dems were literally in the streets in taco trucks registering illegals and teaching them how to vote without an ID. Its amazingly easy. All you need is a photocopy of a utility bill to show an address. The law was written to say they won't accept a real utility bill - only a photocopy. Why do you think that is?

posted on Jun, 29 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Politicians vote to line their own pockets.

Politicians should be treated like NCAA athletes. They should be forbidden from making a single penny while discharging the duties of office. We could also drug test them regularly... clearly a bonus...

posted on Jun, 30 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Same reason most of the populace does. They're convinced that there's only two methods of accomplishing anything, and politics is practically a "sport" to them. Until such mentalities are eliminated, it's going to remain the same.

join