It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Bill is not a Bill in nuts and bolts sector of Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Because...The law makers package a bill.....

Put a name on the Bill, I guess. Then it sounds like a good law to vote on. Naw, not so.

Got tam it....does anyone know and someone....am I right.....someone should explain to us all how the U S adds riders, other laws to that denoted by name Bill that we learned about on ....well I was too old.....learned about bills on,
On

On Sesame Street

Hey, stop laughing

Please...somebody explain how it came to be that I have to suffer over this loss of.....of........decorum,,,no not decorum, loss of,.....of.....mojo. is that right?...hehe

Seriously we need to discover this mal.....mal something, would you be able to tell us how and why and is it just sinister?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Yes....tammitt. you got a point there old boy

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

If your upset about riders attached to a bill then I am with you on that.

Why doesn't trump speak out about this?

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Normally speaking, from what I understand of it, a bill is penned by the various contributors, then put forward for various examinations, until being processed into law. As a part of its transit, it is sometimes necessary to pass through processes which allow a certain amount of amending and prodding from other entities, than originally penned the document. Sometimes things are added or removed from a bill before it reaches the final stages, and this can sometimes affect whether members of congress and so on, are prepared to vote it through.

Sometimes riders and other similar tricks are placed in the document from the outset, and sometimes its hard or impossible to get a look at the law, before it is to be voted on. One of the worst elements of passing law, is the presence within some prospective legislation, of one variation or another of the Carthage Must Fall approach. This approach was named the way it was, because of an ancient politician, whose name escapes me currently. His name became famous, because he would put into every discussion on law to be passed, a rider at the end, insisting that Carthage must fall. He didn't care whether the policy being discussed was about sewerage disposal, or about the correct amount of tribute a citizen ought pay to the Gods, or any other thing. His only interest was getting Carthage wiped off the ancient map, so he would make a point of adding it to anything being voted on, with the effect that people would simply vote against a thing, just to avoid another conflict, or so I understand.

Of course, that was a long time ago, but it still happens now. For example, its common for cross party bills to have promising titles, like "Correcting the health poverty situation", but contain phrases which reaffirm that no real change is to be made to the fact that if you cannot afford treatment, its STILL going to be either the illness or the debt that kills you, no matter what.

There are many examples of these riders, these Carthaginian additions over the years, and its common to use those riders to ensure that either, any bill with positive and progressive ideals behind it either fails to pass, or passes and is used as a tool of destruction. Its pretty ugly business.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

Just a bill- Bah! Humbug!

Representing how things were supposed to be vs. what they've become might as well be considered propaganda. That one is targeted towards children, and it lies to their impressionable little faces on how things actually work.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Just a bill- Bah! Humbug!

Representing how things were supposed to be vs. what they've become might as well be considered propaganda. That one is targeted towards children, and it lies to their impressionable little faces on how things actually work.

I would wager that 75% of Americans don’t even have a clue how it’s “supposed” to work (a bill becoming a law).

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

they must have missed the part of that clip on sesame street where the spook hands the politician a briefcase full of money in a shady corner...

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I tried to give ya 4 star's, but wouldn't let me

top topics

join