It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Farmers in America are killing themselves in staggering numbers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: pravdaseeker

Well, it cross pollinated an adjacent farms, and those farmers got sued for the Patented GM gene that showed up in their crops for sale.

Source?

I'm pretty sure I know what you think you're talking about. Are you sure you do?

edit on 6/27/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: pravdaseeker
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

a reply to: SailorJerry

Greetings Sailor Jerry; yes, The "M" word has been implicated in law suits that ruined farmers when a crop that was planted using Monsanto GM seed.. Well, it cross pollinated an adjacent farms, and those farmers got sued for the Patented GM gene that showed up in their crops for sale. Ruined most of them.

Even in some the possible cases that Monsanto would lose the law suit they started; they still managed to financially ruin the farmer through lawyer/solicitor fees, etc.

Pravdaseeker

well its easier when you have the money, and know you could lose the suit, to draw it out so long the farmer cannot continue any longer. That is their typical MO.

Not that there are very many cases where anyone has ever won, we all know companies like Monsanto are huge contributors to washington.

There have been many cases where people even working WITH gov backed agencies/lobbyists had issues where it wiped out their entire crops or entire flock/herds. And they refused to compensate them, and instead bought in to their competitors and continued operations.
edit on 27-6-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Saiker
It does seem at some point farming has taken a backseat to being a respected profession. When I first began day trading crops were where the money was at. As a kid picking cotton, tobacco, peanuts and corn was where the money was at. In my home country rice is still so important but its declared a position for drop outs and losers to farm.

The urban city dwellers see the cost of food as an expense. The government wants to keep them happy so turns a blind eye to the supermarkets and other big purchasers putting pressure on farmers to keep prices low.

It's happened in many countries. There was the famine in Ethiopia simply because the Marxist government instructed the militias to enforce quota production levels for all farmers, all in order to keep the urban population happy. Militias did what they only know what to do and threatened the farmers at gunpoint. In return the farmers fled the country the minute the militias left. That led to the famine.

We had the same thing with British farmers. The big four supermarkets were leaning on the farmers to keep the price of milk down, beyond the point of profit. So the farmers just sold their produce to China instead as a form of protest. The government, farmers and supermarkets had to come to an agreement for a fixed gate price per litre of milk.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Saiker
It does seem at some point farming has taken a backseat to being a respected profession. When I first began day trading crops were where the money was at. As a kid picking cotton, tobacco, peanuts and corn was where the money was at. In my home country rice is still so important but its declared a position for drop outs and losers to farm.

The urban city dwellers see the cost of food as an expense. The government wants to keep them happy so turns a blind eye to the supermarkets and other big purchasers putting pressure on farmers to keep prices low.

It's happened in many countries. There was the famine in Ethiopia simply because the Marxist government instructed the militias to enforce quota production levels for all farmers, all in order to keep the urban population happy. Militias did what they only know what to do and threatened the farmers at gunpoint. In return the farmers fled the country the minute the militias left. That led to the famine.

We had the same thing with British farmers. The big four supermarkets were leaning on the farmers to keep the price of milk down, beyond the point of profit. So the farmers just sold their produce to China instead as a form of protest. The government, farmers and supermarkets had to come to an agreement for a fixed gate price per litre of milk.

Indeed, unfortunately doing that, while increasing how much the gov takes from the farmers.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   

citation required

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   

a reply to: Phage

Well, they were pretty easy to find if you do a google..

Here is one of the Monsanto law suit stories.

Monsanto Sues Farmers for 16 Straight Years over GMOs, NEVER Loses

I am sure the number of farmers sued by them has gone up since 2014 when the linked article was printed.

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Don't start Gish Galloping.
You said this:

Well, it cross pollinated an adjacent farms, and those farmers got sued for the Patented GM gene that showed up in their crops for sale.

Support it. Name the case(s).

edit on 6/27/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 06:26 AM
link   

a reply to: Phage

Um Phage, not gonna play your game.. thanks. Done responding to you.

PRavdaseeker

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Same here in Britain farmers are topping themselves left right and centre. It all comes down to our supermarkets strangling them to death with crazy prices, true especyially for the MILK farmers.................................................. Corporate greed

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

That's a shame. The USA places a higher income priority on entertainment and sports than they do with occupations that have a huge affect on society.

Occupations such as...

- Farming, without food the human race dies.

- Nursing and other occupations in the medical field. Without life-saving medical care and nursing people back to health or giving them 24/hour nursing care, humanity will face a shorter life, and lose all hope to save their loved ones.

-Teachers, without an educated work force the economy is greatly affected. Innovation and new discoveries to help mankind would be non-existent. Every professional or technical career was educated or trained by a teacher.

-Engineers improve the lives of humanity. They also develop new technologies to save the planet.

These are just a few occupation that I feel have a huge impact on society. There are many other jobs that have a huge impact on society that deserve to be rewarded with a much higher income.

posted on Jun, 27 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
its a very high stress, physically demanding, intelligence required job where everybody wants you to price it in such a way that you cant make money which leads to corporate take overs.

So many people have no idea where or how food comes from its scares me, if people dont comprehend the basics how can they make an even slightly informed decision.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Greetings Sailor Jerry; yes, The "M" word has been implicated in law suits that ruined farmers when a crop that was planted using Monsanto GM seed.. Well, it cross pollinated an adjacent farms, and those farmers got sued for the Patented GM gene that showed up in their crops for sale. Ruined most of them.

Do you have any proof of this?
Link the case for us please.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Very few farms grow food for human consumption, most grow corn, cotton, and soybeans; cash crops. Yes some go to feed, but most go to ethanol, plastics, etc. Cotton going to Central America, China. Those are the farmers that are hurting, the small family run farms.

70% of vegetables, fruit, and nuts are grown in just California alone, the rest scattered around, Delaware, Florida, niche fruit and vegetables, in small areas.

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm down to be a farmer pay me 80k-100k a year I will do it

posted on Jun, 28 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I wonder how many of these suicides are being included in the data that are simply older people doing themselves in because life is hard when you get old (not like it's a breeze at any age) and if you hang around too long and get sick you get funneled into the "treat until you die" system that drains your inheritance away. As I get older, I know many more people who are only kept alive to keep treating, with their functionality and reason for living long gone.

We're not yet in Carousel times, but as the Baby Boomers age, I think you're going to see a lot more people making a graceful exit from this ridiculous existence.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join