It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Chirac Accused of Backing Lebanese Group

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   
The French President Jacques Chirac has been accused of supporting a Lebanese group that is aiming to overthrow the current pro-Syrian government. The charges were levied by two ministers in the pro-Syrian government. One minister indicated that Chirac was leading the effort. Chirac recently made a visit to Beirut to pay his respects to the family of assassinated former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIRUT, Lebanon - Two Cabinet ministers on Saturday angrily accused French President Jacques Chirac of supporting the Lebanese opposition's effort to unseat the pro-Syrian government, with one minister saying Chirac was leading the battle.

The harsh criticism followed Chirac's recent visit to Beirut, where he visited the family of assassinated former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, a longtime friend.

Hariri died with 16 others in a massive bombing in Beirut on Monday. Opposition leaders and Hariri's supporters have blamed the Lebanese and Syrian governments for the assassination.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its interesting with all of the recent involvements of the U.S. in the global stage, it is all to easy to forget that France and Britain were involved in foreign affairs before the Boston Tea Party. No doubt if he is able to support a opposition group that comes to power there, it will give him some leverage in the region. Especially if the current Palestinian / Israeli thaw is the real deal.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work for France. Do they intend to use force and install a government? They're capable but it's hard to imagine that from the oh so tollerant French
. Part of me wonders if a political rival of Chiracs is trying to stick Chirac's face on the coming trouble between America and Syria.
Alternatively this could be a PR job- just for show to make Chirac look neuteral in the middle east conflict despite his refusal to list Hezbollah as a terrorist organization.

I hate to be so hyper-suspicious of everybody's motives (i'm the same way with my own country remember) but I don't really understand how this would make sense "as advertised". It seems like unless he's ready to be uncharacteristically warlike all he stands to do is draw the ire of doves while failing to wrestle influence from America, which is probably going to be invading and installing a government eventually.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Trust No One

The only thing I'm sure of is that the game is now afoot with Syria.

As for France's motives, I wouldn't doubt for a moment that France is involved with the liberation effort in Lebanon.

France has some interesting economic ties to certain Lebanese players -- one of whom was vaporized in the recent unfortunate incident that took place that Syria of course had no involvement with.

What countries say and what they do are more often than not different things.

There is much more to this whole business than we'll ever know, and I won't hold my breath waiting for the commercial press to uncover the truth.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The common interest in a more or less democratic lebanon might be the glue that repairs the relations between France and the U.S

top topics

join