It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eco-Terrorism...a growing American threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
We talk alot about Islamic terrorists. They are on the front of all of our minds. They still pose a threat to our country. But I haven't heard any chatter about the home grown terrorist like ELF (The Earth Liberation Front ) or others that are gaining momentum in the US.

Do you even think of these people as terrorists? Maybe not the type that are going to behead people on national TV, but they are burning houses, destroying property and placing explosives on the steps of court houses.

What are the chances that these "Eco-groups" growing and creating more havoc?

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I think of them as terrorists, and find it rather bothersome that they're largely ignored. While there is admittedly a difference between them and say Islamic terrorists, I don't think they should be ignored as they are.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Based on current research into the group.

Current Goals: According to the ELF website, which guides individual member's actions, "Any direct action to halt the destruction of the environment and adhering to the strict nonviolence guidelines, listed below, can be considered an ELF action. Economic sabotage and property destruction fall within these guidelines."

1) To inflict economic damage on those profiting from the destruction and exploitation of the natural environment; 2) To reveal and educate the public on the atrocities committed against the earth and all species that populate it; and 3) To take all necessary precautions against harming any animal, human and non-human.

The ELF advocates "monkeywrenching," a euphemism for acts of sabotage and property destruction against industries and other entities perceived to be damaging to the natural environment. "Monkeywrenching" includes tree spiking, arson, sabotage of logging or construction equipment, and other types of property destruction. Economic damage is often accomplished via acts of vandalism, ranging from breaking windows and gumming locks to setting fires and damaging equipment. Public education is typically achieved by means of anonymous press releases following acts of sabotage. Spray paint is also used to communicate messages and to claim responsibility at the site of sabotage.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TacOps Security
Economic damage is often accomplished via acts of vandalism, ranging from breaking windows and gumming locks to setting fires and damaging equipment. Public education is typically achieved by means of anonymous press releases following acts of sabotage. Spray paint is also used to communicate messages and to claim responsibility at the site of sabotage.

Property destruction counted as non-violent, eh?

Since it's decentralized, anyone can claim their action under the ELF umbrella.
Leaves them open to abuse, really.

2) To reveal and educate the public on the atrocities committed against the earth and all species that populate it; and 3) To take all necessary precautions against harming any animal, human and non-human.

I don't think blowing up private property, whatever it might be, is beneficial with regard to education. I think most people will think badly of ELF and totally disregard what they're trying to say, even if they might under other circumstances empathize or agree, due to the extreme tactics. I think their tactics negate the overall message, but that's just me.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I agree, this doesn't get the attention it deserves. Many of the acts of destruction done to property also harm people. Tree spiking kills. Arson does, as well. Apparently they blame Joe Logger for the destruction of the environment even though he just needs a job to feed his wife and kids. Personally, I'd like it if they all just joined this movement:

The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
If you're a large government agency or a multinational corporation, then they are of course a threat (for threat read opportunity, distraction, scapegoat) Action must be taken NOW!

For the average citizen, yes they should be feared. You should immediatly enact crippling nationwide legislation to counteract even the vauge possibilty of naughtiness by a group of frustrated spotty virgins that are as likely to kill you as the inadvisable amount of cottage cheese you added to your slim fast sandwich yesterday lunchtime.

[edit on 19-2-2005 by kegs]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement

Or
Save The Planet, Kill Yourself

Church of Euthanasia

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
If you're a large government agency or a multinational corporation, then they are of course a threat (for threat read opportunity, distraction, scapegoat) Action must be taken NOW!

For the average citizen, yes they should be feared. You should immediatly enact crippling nationwide legislation to counteract even the vauge possibilty of naughtiness by a group of frustrated spotty virgins that are as likely to kill you as the inadvisable amount of cottage cheese you added to your slim fast sandwich yesterday lunchtime.

[edit on 19-2-2005 by kegs]

Wow...I dont mean to cause nationwide panic, but I do think that groups like this can get out of control.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TacOps Security

Wow...I dont mean to cause nationwide panic,

hehe You're on a conspiracy site, we're the panicest of the panicy

Welcome to ATS, by the way! Figured I'd operate outside the box and welcome you here instead of where I should, in your intro

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
British sense of humour TacOps, It was sarcasm.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Well, I totaly agree. Groups like ELF are not controled by any single person. There is a figure head that rants on their web site from time to time, but most of these fanatics are acting on their own. That within itself is nothing to fear. When the individual recruits 4-5 more freaks into the group and can plan and execute a firebomb that is daisy chained between a dozen houses, that where the threat is raised.

Granted, these homes are not even completely built. But its the ideology that needs to be understood and the understanding that fanatics move in babysteps. first its spray painting all over the development, then they are setting up firebombs in the homes, where does it end?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I don't think tree spiking can be considered a non violent act, since most tree spikes are discovered by loggers, and injuries do result.

That being said, how can anyone value property so highly, they would put it above the life of the species? The people who are pushed to the extreme of blowing up houses must have a point, right? They must have some sort of very important message they're trying to convey. I think they exhibit all the signs of classical terrorism, a small group of individuals with no military might attacking a larger oponent with sabotage. It happened in WW2, it's happening right now in Iraq, and it's happening right here in America.

I think the only strategy when dealing with terrorists is this; find out what they want, if it makes sense and would be good for a lot of people, do it. In this case, what ELF is doing is trying to issue a wake up call, to draw attention and gain membership no doubt. In a country as divided and confused as America, it's no surprise terrorist groups are gaining ground so quickly. Organized crime, smuggling, inner city gangs, and militia type groups are no doubt overflowing their membership rolls. I think it's a sign of something larger, a cancer under the surface of our lofty society.

I think the truth is, most of humanity is still a sort of animal inside. Our cultures come and go, because humanity is in a constant state of flux. It's a natural process, and one that should only be feared by politicians. While they do make up a demographic that needs to be considered, they are small enough to be conveniently ignored when necessary for the good of society.

How does anyone propose to fight a war against an enemy with no face? This problem being discussed with ELF is identical to the one being faced in Iraq. The enemy is the populace, he is all around you. There is no effective way to fight that war, there never has been. Rome knew that, and so they quelled the appetites of the people with games and liquor and widespread fornication.

Bring on the Games! Legalize Bud! The country is in decline, all thinking people must feel the tilt. The only thing to do is go out in style. Raise your cups and bowls in toast for evolution.

[edit on 20-2-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
FBI's official definition of terrorism:

"Terrorism is the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government,the civilian population,or any segment thereof,in furtherence of political or social objectives"

Merriam-Webster Online's definition of terrorism:

"Violence committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands."

I don't have a single idea why no one has taken action to American-borne terrorist such as those Eco-terrorist.Anyways,here's an article that is quite a read on how rooting out American terrorist in American soil should be done.

Source:
www.frontpagemag.com...

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
People do not go from skateboarding one day to planting bombs in car dealerships or housing developments These people have been slippig through the tracks for quite a while and I think that tighter controls need to be made to catch these people early, before they pose a dangerous threat.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I think the only strategy when dealing with terrorists is this; find out what they want, if it makes sense and would be good for a lot of people, do it.

The problem with that, though, is that it would show that terrorism works to exact a political agenda. It sucks, but if a terrorist group were to blow some folks up or something, then say they did it to make a statement about how XXX. XXX is the greatest idea for mankind anyone has concieved, but because of the means by which they presented it, it's off the table.

I mean, say I have a great idea. I write to a congressperson telling them this great idea, and they ignore me. I write to a newspaper talking about this great idea, and they ignore me. I start a thread on ATS, and everyone ignores it. I don't have a platform to express my great idea. So, I bust into a daycare center, take everyone hostage and start throwing kids in a woodchipper. I just got my platform, I'll have made international news. Now I give my idea, and say I killed all those children to exact change in government, and this is my idea. Even if it's the greatest idea in the world, they can't say, ooo, good call, we'll do that. If the did, then all those people with terrible ideas who are being ignored suddenly think, oh, that's how I can get my point across. It worked for Jake, and he changed the world for the better by throwing children in a woodchipper.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think of them as "wanna be" revolutionaries.

I find it hard to describe them as "terrorists" because they haven't "terrorized" anyone, just indulged in childish destruction of property.

Once they start blowing people up on subways or the like, then I'll consider them terrorists. Burning a bunch of SUV's is not terrorism, but vandalism. (The FBI's self-servingly overbroad defenition aside.)

Is it bad? Sure.
Is it "terrorism"? Where's the "terror" then?

I think there is much more to fear in terms of "terrorism" from far-right groups like the Aryan Nations and it's ilk, who unlike the eco-fanatics, have a proven track record of being willing to kill people.

[edit on 7/14/05 by xmotex]

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I think of them as "wanna be" revolutionaries.

I find it hard to describe them as "terrorists" because they haven't "terrorized" anyone, just indulged in childish destruction of property.

Once they start blowing people up on subways or the like, then I'll consider them terrorists. Burning a bunch of SUV's is not terrorism, but vandalism. (The FBI's self-servingly overbroad defenition aside.)

Is it bad? Sure.
Is it "terrorism"? Where's the "terror" then?

I think there is much more to fear in terms of "terrorism" from far-right groups like the Aryan Nations and it's ilk, who unlike the eco-fanatics, have a proven track record of being willing to kill people.

[edit on 7/14/05 by xmotex]

they haven't terrorized? you're kidding right? they routinely have members ambush people and attack them with various "message-enhancing items" such as red paint on fur coats, they have burned massive amounts of woodlands engulfing mostly brand new homes with the occasional rural home, they have burned SUV dealerships, basically a non-verbal threat to anyone with a v-8 engine in their vehicle, they have publicly stated what their idea of legitimate targets is and this ludicrous idea includes almost every human being in this country except the members of ELF. even vegans i know wouldn't be safe from what these guys think they have the right to impose upon others. they are terrorists. they promote terror for the furthering of their own cause. they commit acts that terrorize for the furthering of their own cause. just because they haven't "officially" killed anyone yet, doesn't mean they won't, doesn't even mean they haven't, and definitely doesn't mean they aren't capable.

aryan nation could definitely be considered a terrorist organization as well, if they had advocated terror, and with the exception of one small group of them that pledged support to islamic jihadists on their website, they seem to have been pretty quiet of late.

fanatic groups come from every corner of every religious, political and philosophical belief. they are bread by charismatic lunatics and are not always deadly, but more often than not, when a group runs itself like a cult, cut off from the world, preaching one man's ideas to impressionable masses, it is dangerous. this is islamic jihadism, this is eco-fanaticism (or as we 4-wheelers like to call it- eco-nazism). jihad has been around a lot longer, it has developed it's myths over hundreds of years. eco-fanaticism is only in it's infancy, if it is not dealt with more swiftly, it will become the next fanatical religious jihad. as it is, eco-fanaticism in the US is run like a religion. this is an except from Michael Crichton's (author of Jurassic Park, among others) speech to the Commonwealth Club in '04:

Today, one of the most powerful religions in the Western World is environmentalism. Environmentalism seems to be the religion of choice for urban atheists. Why do I say it's a religion? Well, just look at the beliefs. If you look carefully, you see that environmentalism is in fact a perfect 21st century remapping of traditional Judeo-Christian beliefs and myths.

There's an initial Eden, a paradise, a state of grace and unity with nature, there's a fall from grace into a state of pollution as a result of eating from the tree of knowledge, and as a result of our actions there is a judgment day coming for us all. We are all energy sinners, doomed to die, unless we seek salvation, which is now called sustainability. Sustainability is salvation in the church of the environment. Just as organic food is its communion, that pesticide-free wafer that the right people with the right beliefs, imbibe.

Eden, the fall of man, the loss of grace, the coming doomsday---these are deeply held mythic structures. They are profoundly conservative beliefs. They may even be hard-wired in the brain, for all I know. I certainly don't want to talk anybody out of them, as I don't want to talk anybody out of a belief that Jesus Christ is the son of God who rose from the dead. But the reason I don't want to talk anybody out of these beliefs is that I know that I can't talk anybody out of them. These are not facts that can be argued. These are issues of faith.

And so it is, sadly, with environmentalism. Increasingly it seems facts aren't necessary, because the tenets of environmentalism are all about belief. It's about whether you are going to be a sinner, or saved. Whether you are going to be one of the people on the side of salvation, or on the side of doom. Whether you are going to be one of us, or one of them.

Am I exaggerating to make a point? I am afraid not. Because we know a lot more about the world than we did forty or fifty years ago. And what we know now is not so supportive of certain core environmental myths, yet the myths do not die.

in case anyone would like to read the rest, which is very good, i might add, here's the link:

www.crichton-official.com...

and this is another treatise on terrorism, fantasy, ideology, Al Qaeda and 9-11 that some of you may also enjoy reading. it is closely tied to the Crichton speech in it's identification of the fantasy in the mind of the fanatic, coming to the forefront and being made a reality through acting the fantasy out in the real world. this is also part of the profile of serial killers. keep that in mind as you think about what makes eco-terrorists and islamic jihadist terrorists tick.

www.policyreview.org...

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Would "The Weather Underground" ( activist group from the 60's) be considered terrorist?

Peace

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't think throwing paint on someone's fur coat, or vandalizing SUV's, is anywhere in the same league as blowing people up, no.

Honestly, do you?

I think they're idiots, and clearly fanatics of a sort, but I don't think property destruction is equivalent to actual violence against human beings. Not even close.

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
the point is, it will get to that point, eventually, if not stopped.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join