It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoked Corned Beef

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
So today I decided to try something different, something I've heard is the end-all be-all for brisket...a smoked corned beef.

3 lbs of flat cut corned beef

No soak, no de-brining, just straight onto the smoker. Smoking now over pecan and alder wood.

Two hours in the smoker at about 250, then transfer to a foil pan.

In a mixing bowl, I'm going to mix
- one 12oz. bottle of Angry Orchard - Green Apple hard cider,
- about 2 Tbs of Dijon mustard
- and about the same (maybe a little more) of fig jam.

Pour this over the corned beef and put back in the smoker for another 2 hours (likely covered with foil). ETA...probably bump the temp to about 300 for the balance.

I'll pull the beef at about 165-170 internal temp and rest.

Wish me luck...I'm goin' in!
edit on 6/17/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: temp bump for 2nd phase.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I like the sound of it, not a huge time commitment either. Im a big fan of smoking with pecan, never used alder.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
i normaly debrine if store bought or less salt if i cure it it can come out really salty depending on brand

i just call it pastramie pritty much is

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Mmm now I'm hungry. That would be great with a nice cold hand crafted brew.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Having done it before, I’ll tell you that you won’t be disappointed. The best part is the that it comes out much less greasy than cooking it in a crockpot or similar.

The other thing I like to do is take a store bought corned beef, coat it with freshly ground black pepper & coriander seed & mustard seed, and smoke that to make a homemade(ish) pastrami.
edit on 6/17/2018 by xenthuin because: Details

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
OMG man, that sounds delicious... down to the fig jam, which I love. Even have a fig tree.

Good luck, and hope it's everything it sounds like!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Put the fork down and ell us about it already...

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I really wish some of you guys with smokers lived around here. I went down to the property in Kentucky this past week and had to trim some storm damaged Apple and Cherry trees. I have about 600 - 700 lbs of it in my truck and I can't even give it away.

smh

Looks like I'm gonna be buying a smoker.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Build one real quick.

www.instructables.com...

Something I have to get around to one of these days. Its like the Final Frontier in my cheferings. No overwhelming supply of choice woods to use not so much point.

I did figure out a way to 'smoke' in a conventional oven using a hot water + oil + SPICES bath in the bottom rack. The spices have much more flavor crystals lol than the wood, and it releases via water vapor. NO ACTUAL SMOKE. And you can tune the spices to your hearts desire. Its how I do my jerk chicken and you can taste it to the bone. Havent been messing with the method at all for some time now that I think about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Smoked corner beef. AKA pastrami.
I make my own.
There are never any leftovers.
Makes superb Rubin sandwiches.
Good luck.
Takes a good week if you start with a fresh brisket.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Me too. I soak for about eight hours. Too much and you take out too much salt
I rub with brown sugar black pepper paprika.
Let that sit for a day then smoke it at 270° for about ten to twelve hours

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

You won't regret it!

I haven't...all (five) times!! LOL!! Yep, I have 5 of them (and, don't ask how many grills!)

Wow, if I was near you I would gladly take that wood off your hands!! Where are you anyway?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Illinois.

I'm a transplanted Kentucky Hillbilly.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Yeah, I cure a lot of my meats myself, but I bought this one just to try it. Hadn't done a corned beef before, so I figured what the heck.

Do you dry or wet cure yours?

A true pastrami is on the list. I love me some pastrami. I will likely dry cure that one.

I love Charcuterie!! MMMMMmmmmmMmmmMmmMMMMMMMMmmmmm!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

With this one I dry smoked it for about 3 hours to get some smoke in it and then added some liquid to a pan and put it in the pan for a while to break down some of the connective tissue. I'll finish it with pure smoke.

Started at 250 for the smoke, up to 300 for the liquid just to get it simmering good, then probably back down to 275 and smoke or the rest.

It's lookin' pretty darn good! I tasted a piece and it's delicious, but not done yet.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It's not done yet!!

My little sample tasted pretty damn good though!

Oh, and a little update. I put some rough chopped Vidallia onions in the liquid too. Love the sweet on those onions.

I think this is going to come out mighty good. At least I hope it does!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Alder is pretty much good for anything. It's a really good all-around wood for smoking. Real nice flavor and doesn't have that bitter edge like hickory can sometimes (though I love that too).

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Yummy !!!! Please let us know how that turns out !!!...... I am making a bean and beef soup today ... Crockpot all
Day type thing ...not gonna be as good as yours though .

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

Yeah, we got this fig jam at a middle eastern place a while back and it's delicious. Great big hunks of fig in it too.

I was originally going to use apricot, but I was out of that, so I went with the fig instead. Even better!

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I don't know if the corned beef is the same as what we have in the UK basicaly which locally is called "corned dog" and basically its either for sandwiches or slapping with "uk chips", beans and some bread and butter to mop up the dip.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join