It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's First Cell Phone Virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The world's first cell phone virus, called Cabir, has been confirmed in at least 12 countries, including the Philippines, its birthplace, as well as Britain, China and the United States, a computer anti-virus company said Friday.

The Finland-based F-Secure warned it is possible the virus will spread. The virus, which spreads mainly through wireless Internet connection, has been found in about 15 variations so far.

info found at: www.japantoday.com...

With all the new breakthroughs in cellular technology comes some new virus technologies. Security experts have been warning for years that bluetooth technology (for those who don't know what bluetooth is, it's a wireless technology that allows devices to communicate with other devices wirelessly) would eventually lead to malicious phone viruses capable of deleting phone books, calendars. etc. stored on smart phones.

This is the first virus capable of spreading from phone to phone. What next??

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It finally made it 'into the wild,' I see. First reports of the proof-of-concept were back in June, 2004.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I hope they make a cell phone virus that destroys Cingular...........Cingular is the Satan of cell-phone services.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Boy, I can't wait 'till they make a virus for my toaster.
I swear anything that will be "online" will get a virus eventually. I believe its all a scam by the anti-virus companies.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I hope they make a cell phone virus that destroys Cingular...........Cingular is the Satan of cell-phone services.

Curious statement. Why is Cingular the Satan of the business?

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy

Curious statement. Why is Cingular the Satan of the business?

It would take too long for me to describe the angst I have with their services. One month I completely turned off my cellular phone to see if I'd get my charge of 29.99 plus 3.99 insurance, and my bill still turned out to be $50.00 based on silly charges that I've never even heard of, plus many other issues besides that. Since I've been a customer of Cingular Wireless I have never been satisfied with their performance. I've filed my first FCC complaint because of them and I am a hard person to get mad, but it has been necessary.
Then on top of that 3.99 insurance, but if you get the phone wet or anything you have a $50 non-refundable deductable, I'd been better off to buy the friggin phone!
It's capitalism at its worst.

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Caldron of Hate]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

It finally made it 'into the wild,' I see

Yes...it's made it out. I just read those threads. I wasn't aware of any talk of it back in June...just heard of it now. I'm curious what else will infiltrate cell phones through the blue tooth technology. My wife's phone has blue tooth.....makes me want to reconsider having it. But, what am I gonna do, get rid of my PC also?....NAH!

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Easy solution is never turn blue tooth on. Iam sure you have to activate it (like on my phone) I never use it anyway so no loss.

Its a shame that people have to disrupt things! Whats wrong with this bloody world where a few teens can bring multi-million pound companies to its knees.

Heck, I cant wait to see the first phone "firewall" and "virus-scanner".
The thing I dread is "Spy-ware" for phones ack!

Thinking about it, what if some one made a virus that phoned a premium number at like £4 a minute!

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Really....what if someone could tap into your phone and make phone calls on it? Certainly seems possible. Lovely how every new technology brings with it a whole slew of new hackers to screw it up!

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy
Really....what if someone could tap into your phone and make phone calls on it? Certainly seems possible. Lovely how every new technology brings with it a whole slew of new hackers to screw it up!

Hackers could also use their talent for good to send a "message" to these companies that charge exorbant fee's that aren't necessary. It's like when cereal use to cost $5.00 a box at some grocery stores because they knew they could get it, not because grain costed more. Cell phone services are like Exxon Mobile gasoline, they claim that their oil prices are related to mid east conditions and all the other B.S., but their Q4 posted 25 bln profit. It's when capitalism gets greedy that hackers need to wreck those greedy companies. It's the common man that suffers because of greedy companies, greedy companies tell the common man that without this product survival is not possible, and the common man buys it because the common man believes it. The greedy companies get the common man to put everything on credit so they can ruin his credit so he has to pay 12% interest. The common man could manage his money better, but the common man is the one without a degree and grew up eating with his hands, not a silver or bronze spoon, not even a plastic spoon. So, hacking can send a "message" to these companies. Do you see how the pro's help the con's, and vice versa?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Do you see how the pro's help the con's, and vice versa?

Yes I see. The truth is out there, and it sucks! I like that - might have to use it in my signature line....

new topics

top topics

join