It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Trip to the DMV

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Another Trip to the DMV

Ok. I am actually ranting today. And I apologize ahead of time because it is not really directed at any one group of people, but it is gonna seem that way. It is directed at how silly the system is with regards to getting any official documents (passport, driver’s license, State ID, birth certificate, etc...).

But in order to show how utterly senseless it is, I have to show some of the reasoning behind why I think it is, well, pointless. So, please don’t take offense, it is not any one group of people that I am pointing out. It is the system itself.

I guess I just am tired of the way I get treated when I go to renew a piece of ID. I’ve had to do this twice now for me and once for my daughter. My daughter’s ID took me over a year to get. Her driver’s license had expired and she had the three pieces of ID I order to get a new one. But, she also had a name change.

Because of the name change, she needed additional paper work. Her social security card showed her old name. Her other paperwork showed the new name. We went up to the ss office to get her name changed. She couldn’t do that without a valid driver’s license. We went to the DMV to get her driver’s license. She couldn’t do that without a social security card. So, for a year we kept trying. Finally, someone just made the executive decision to give her one otherwise we’d still be having the same issue.

I had the problem where my birth certificate didn’t have a raised seal. But, I literally just had to drive to the courthouse and pay for a new one. They took my out of state driver’s license as proof of who I was. The DMV wouldn’t. If the courthouse will take it…why doesn’t the DMV?? They are both government offices.

Here's the rub: When I go back with the proper paperwork the lady punches my name into her computer and says that I would get the previous DL# I had when I lived in that state before. They had me in the computer!! And new when it was issued (my first DL at 16). So, why did I have to prove anything further?

Finally got those issues fixed and I moved again. This time they said they needed to have a proof of name change because my birth certificate name didn’t match my social security name. Ok, well, that happens more often than not I would imagine. If any woman has ever gotten married their birth certificate isn’t going to match her ID.

I already thought of that anyways so I took my marriage license up with me. Nope, it doesn’t have a raised seal. I had to order a new one with the raised seal. This is beyond silly at this point. I have a valid ID from another state…that should be enough. Nope, they have to know why the name changed. Well, I would guess because I got married??? Whatever, I ordered it and it will be fine.

Not done yet!! I went to the bank to put my daughter on as a beneficiary to my account. Remember, this is only to name her as the person who gets my cash if I die. Guess what?? They wouldn’t let me do it unless she had 3 pieces of ID that showed who she was. WTH?? I cannot just tell you who I wish to be my beneficiary? Whose money is it anyways?? I got a bit salty on that one.

But here’s the exception: If I had named her within the first 30 days of opening the account she wouldn’t have needed to even be there… they would have just accepted me telling them her name. So, what’s the point/difference??

Ok, so, I read in the paper that someone got arrested a few weeks ago for helping illegals get work (no, they weren’t nice someones..they were taking half their paycheck each week for getting them work). Guess what? Part of what she did was get them legal drivers licenses. How did she do that? Look at what I had to go through to get mine as an American citizen. If this system of checks and balances was working, how was she able to get them their ID’s?

Then today I look further and guess what I find? A whole bunch of states are giving out legal ID’s to illegals…legally!!

According to the Times story, an ICE arrest report for one man noted that “It was discovered that he had utilized a Mexican birth certificate to apply for his driver’s license.”

Twelve states -- California, Colorado, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Vermont and Washington -- allow undocumented immigrants to get driver's licenses.

So, why do I have to jump through hoops to get mine when they are giving them out legally to non-US citizens? What’s the point? Why does it matter? If twelve states are going to give out driver’s licenses easy to non-citizens...they aren’t really preventing anything by making me jump through hoops to get mine. This is not security, this is not protecting me… this is just plain useless, silly stuff.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant, just had to get that out.

Thanks,
blend

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Simple answer.

Because it's the DMV.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Just remember ... this is the same type of system that will take over when/if the government is put in charge of health care.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Yeah you have to jump through more hoops than Shamu when you deal with gov agencies. About 5 years ago I had to apply for SNAP food stamps. That was easy as pie though!

edit on 6-6-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Next time something like this happens call your local senator. Does not matter if there is a D or R in front of there designation. They are there to serve you. Recently my sister was going to travel to Costa Rica and they mucked up her last name on the passport. I called my local senator who was a republican and within 5 days the problem was fixed.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Damn, that's some running around.

I almost puked the last time I was there. There was dandruff piles all over the chairs. It reminded me of the movie Waiting.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Yeah you have to jump through more hoops than Shamu when you deal with gov agencies.

CreationBro

Simple answer.

Because it's the DMV.

And the bank, and the social security office, and the utility companies, etc... it's starting to make me twitch a bit..lol.

Depending on your utility provider, you may or may not be able to connect utility services online. Either way, there are a few documents that you should prepare to have on hand while connecting your utilities. Use the list below as a general guideline, but be sure to check in with your local utility provider’s website for more specific information, if available.

1. Proof of Identity
Most – if not all – utility providers require documentation that you are who you say you are!

Examples: Social Security card, valid driver’s license, passport, alien registration card, state-issued photo ID

2. Proof of Residence
You’ll also need to show documentation that you’re living in the new area of service.

Examples: Lease/rental agreement, mortgage account or proof of homeownership, property tax bill or receipt, utility or telephone bill, voter registration card, vehicle registration card or title, check with printed name and address ...

What do they care (utility company) if you are signing up to pay for someone elses utilities?? As long as they get paid, what's the problem?? You do direct debit, they get the money, everything is good!

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

Next time something like this happens call your local senator. Does not matter if there is a D or R in front of there designation. They are there to serve you. Recently my sister was going to travel to Costa Rica and they mucked up her last name on the passport. I called my local senator who was a republican and within 5 days the problem was fixed.

Good advice and thank you...but I shouldn't have to..ya know?? We just shouldn't have to. Especially if they already have you in the computer (like with my DL # they reissued).

Thanks!
blend

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
The DMV has some strange ways, everything needs to be in order, proof has to be given, just to access your license online to do anything with it. It seems kind of overzelous, but it keeps others from getting a drivers license in your name. Once someone gets your picture ID they can change the mailing address at the DMV and you will never find out till you get the money stole out of your savings accounts and all sorts of credit card debt..

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

OHHH THE DMV

damn I totally misread that hahah.

that that last letter was a T.

Well this is awkward.

Yeah F the DMV!

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

damn I totally misread that hahah.

You would you dam-ned hippy!

edit on 6-6-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 11:54 PM
link   
And yet, we never seem to have mass shootings at DMVs.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
And yet, we never seem to have mass shootings at DMVs.

To many people can sympathize. . .

Kidding, we all are frustrated by the DMV. Very few want to see violence in any situation.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   

I hear ya on this.

One of my daughters is in a similar situation. She needs a copy of her SS card, but has no picture ID and she can't get a picture ID without at least 3 pieces of identification. We can't get those pieces of ID without a picture ID. It's like this incredible circle of red tape and hoops and there's no way out.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

My yearbook picture from high school served as one piece of identification. I actually brought my mother down with my yearbook to verify my ID.

Maybe the yearbook info will help. It is acceptable in some states.

I started keeping my entire families expired ID, licenses. And temporary interim ID.

Now I know why.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

No, this system is just stupid. I have never heard of an experience just like the OP's. "Raised seal" as an indication that it is a true document.. BS! I would have laughed at that buerocrats face and demanded to speak to his/her superior.

You do not have to let them win.

And you, Ketsuko, just told some more BS, fed to you by your newsbubble. Think for yourself, ask people in countries where the health care system works differently - we know that it can work far better than in your country.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Why I got AAA,they have closed too many local DMV's,and I hate waiting in line for hours,and of course the bums and pan handlers,I'm pretty cheap but worth a few hundred dollars a year,and I have a total of 5 cars

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

We used to joke while in the military that you had to fill out 3 forms just to go to the bathroom......and some people want these nutjobs in charge of our healthcare ?

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

You won't either,they all have those little signs saying no guns
on the property.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subrosabelow

I hear ya on this.

One of my daughters is in a similar situation. She needs a copy of her SS card, but has no picture ID and she can't get a picture ID without at least 3 pieces of identification. We can't get those pieces of ID without a picture ID. It's like this incredible circle of red tape and hoops and there's no way out.

I hope you fair better than we did. Like I said, someone finally took pity on us and just issued the DL to her..otherwise we would've still been going through it. Her's was just because her name changed!! They needed to connect the two (find the link) is what they said... but I think they have that in their computers as well (it was done legally, we just didn't have the paperwork). So, why make us jump through hoops???

Wish you well and hope it goes better than what we went through.

Thanks,
blend
edit on 7-6-2018 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Been there, done that.

I honestly understand why they do this. Too many illegals are using other people’s ssi #s to: get ids, government assistance, commit crimes and get away with it. In Massachusetts, we had a problem where drug dealers were buying ids (somehow - most likely from someone who worked at the dmv), not showing up for court and then authorities figure out they were not actually who they claimed to be.

I know it’s frustrating; I’ve had to deal with it all; but it is necessary thanks to all the lawbreakers!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join