It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When your home is surrounded by lava on all sides

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This really looks like something out of one of those apocalypse movies or videos on Youtube.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

The title of the video kills me. "OH NO! Lava Surrounded Our House in Hawaii 2018" so very YouTube.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

edit on 6-6-2018 by Atsbhct because: Wrong post.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I was thinking more along the lines of "Man so Obese unable to run away from slowest unfolding natural disaster ever".

Why anyone in their right mind would wait until they are surrounded by lava is beyond me.

edit on 6-6-2018 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I know I'm supposed to feel sympathy for these folks but they did build their homes on the side of a volcano.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I know I'm supposed to feel sympathy for these folks but they did build their homes on the side of a volcano.

If you ever go to Naples, take a look at the morons building on the lower slopes of Vesuvius. Planning permission is a joke in the area. Given the fact that Vesuvius used to erupt every 40-odd years and is now 30 years 'late', the next eruption is going be an explosive one.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Nothing like Darwinism in action.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Should have built it with thick lava rock, and installed exterior fire sprinklers.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Most people live where they were born, I guess people born and living in Kilauea will have to make Peace with being given both a gift and curse.
Soo many people's live's are changed forever, Mother Earth has spoken. Sending Heartfelt prayers to all our Hawaiian friends, this must be awful !

To this day, I can smell Hawaiian Flowers, best trip of my life and I can only hope the people that will need to uproot and move will always keep the paradise they once had in their hearts forever, rebuild where it makes sense and know they had the privilege to carry on with memories of beauty and smells many never know.

It sucks, sooo Sorry this has to happen. Keep the Faith, Aloha.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
I was going to start a thread the other day about this spin

"Hawaiian local suffers serious leg injury being ‘lava-bombed’ while sitting on porch"
www.news.com.au... story/95fcb321ffb10bc155e301cde42700b0

A MAN had his leg shattered after he was “lava bombed”...
when he was sitting on his porch and a “lava bomb” struck him...
that the man was on a third-floor balcony when his leg was shattered from his shin to his foot...

Who waits staring at pyrotechnics from a volcano and not realize how gravity works?

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Hardly any different from people building homes in flood zones or tornado alley etc etc.

posted on Jun, 6 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Hardly any different from people building homes in flood zones or tornado alley etc etc.

Not much difference at all. Can't think of too many places in this world that don't experience some sort of natural dangers.

Such a place would be an undesirable spot to live, I'd wager.

Bad things happen all over the world, we all do the best we can to survive.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I thought of this clip from George Carlin.

"People build their homes right next to an active volcano, and then wonder why they have lava in the living room."

Do you think they figured out the answer yet?

At least that seems to be moving slowly enough that people shouldn't have any trouble escaping from it unless they do something even dumber than building their houses there.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The Mainland media is doing a very poor job of reporting on this!
Early on, they even reported that it was happening on Oahu instead of Hawaii!
It's not the crater of the volcano that is erupting. 24 fissures opened up in the
ground, about 25 miles away from the crater. The magma drained down out of
the volcano, & traveled 25 miles underground to the fissures, where it started
flowing up out of the ground. Some of the fissures are more active than the others
& they started erupting. They believe the magma is flowing through old lava tubes.

If you look at a map of the fissures, they are in a fairly straight line from west to east,
running through farms & residential areas. The people are not living on the side of the
volcano! The cracking started out slowly & increased over time. They were not sure at first,
what direction it would go. Or even about the lava when that started. People evacuated in the
beginning because of the cracks. Some didn't leave early on because of looters! Or didn't want
to leave their farm animals behind. There was no panic, or sense of urgency, until more
fissures showed up & lava started working it's way out of the ground.
Kilauea is not the same type of volcano as the one in Guatemala.

Years ago when the sugar mills closed, workers were given plots of land as part of a severance package.
What factory worker years ago, wouldn't have taken a free plot of land to build a home or farm?
Especially if you were an immigrant. Heck, who wouldn't now? Especially in Paradise?
Some of the people living there today inherited theirs. Others bought from real estate agencies.
How many people on the Mainland, live less than 25 miles from a dam, nuclear power plant, tornado alley,
large river, or a coastal area where a hurricane is possible? How many sinkholes have opened up lately,
damaged houses & even killed people? Look at California & other places that have wild fires!

Every place has something. Life can be a crap shoot. What nicer place is there to play the odds?!
Some days you're the bug & some days you're the windshield!

WOQ

edit on 7-6-2018 by wasobservingquietly because: To help the haoles understand!

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

Thx you for clearing this up a bit.

Good to know some background 😎
edit on 7-6-2018 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 05:17 AM
link   
There's probably a YouTube comment from his home insurance provider canceling his policy in there.

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 08:18 AM
link   
All I want to know is, is he going to survive, or is he trapped there? Sorry if he said in the video, I don't have sound right now.

-Alee

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

Actually, in some cases, having a video of your house being destroyed
is a good thing, depending on what kind of insurance you have!

Supposedly, if it burns BEFORE lava reaches it, it may be covered
by fire insurance. But if lava engulfs it, before it starts to burn,
you may be out of luck, unless you have volcano insurance.

There are different zones too, depending on what area you live in.
That makes a difference in what type of insurance you are able to get.
But I am not an insurance agent & I do not play one on the internet!

WOQ

posted on Jun, 7 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess
Last that I saw, he was in the hospital doing okay.
At first there was some concern that he might lose
his foot, but I believe they were able to save it.

It really was a freak thing. I saw the video that they
had been making. They weren't as close as it looked.
They were on an upper, roof covered lanai. All of a
sudden, a lava 'bomb' flies through the air, gets in
under the roof & either hits his leg or bounces off
of the floor & hits his foot! Talk about your 15
minutes of fame!

WOQ

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
All I want to know is, is he going to survive, or is he trapped there? Sorry if he said in the video, I don't have sound right now.

-Alee

No one has been killed as a result of the recent eruptions, and so far this poor fella has been the only real injury. Hawai'i County (aka the Big Island) is actually a lot better at handling disasters than most would believe.

Like people seem to love saying (not you, NG), yes we live near (not on) an active volcano. We all know it. No one is really surprised that the volcano erupted, so please stop with that tired line. It's not a place for wimps, this island is raw and dangerous. Some people are recently finding this out, but most already knew it.
edit on 8-6-2018 by VariableConstant because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join