It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whole Foods halts plan to require mandatory GMO labeling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Nearly a year after being acquired by Amazon, health food retailer Whole Foods is quietly putting the brakes on its plan to require food suppliers and stores to label foods containing genetically modified organisms (GMOs).

A spokesperson for Whole Foods told FOX Business that the company is pushing back the deadline for its mandatory GMO labeling policy as the U.S. Department of Agriculture “finalizes its Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standard” to give the food industry time to assess the impact. “We have decided to pause on our September 1, 2018 deadline for our GMO Labeling Policy,” Rachel Alkon, the company spokesperson, said.

“We remain committed to providing our customers with the level of transparency they want and expect from us and will continue to require suppliers to obtain third-party verification for non-GMO claims.”

Source: Whole Foods halts plan to require mandatory GMO labeling

Why did I place this thread in the "Dissecting Disinformation" forum?

To me, this "explanation" for the "pause" is disinformation.

Whole Foods is a well known and popular food distributor that markets to the healthy food conscious crowd. They made this bold statement in 2013 that they were going to force food companies to indicate foods containing GMOs. That is, until they were acquired by Amazon. Now, they back peddle and say the reason is until:

the U.S. Department of Agriculture “finalizes its Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standard” to give the food industry time to assess the impact.

Sure!!! I call DISINFORMATION!!!

There are a few possible real reasons for this 180 change on their part:

1) They were told by Amazon not to rock the boat of the suppliers
2) The number of product they already sell that would be openly labeled to contain GMOs was so large that it would reveal the marketing deception of their entire brand.
3) This was the plan all along. Make a grand promise 5 years into the future, convince your customers you care for their health, get more business (i.e $$ from the suckers). Then, back out in the final months of that promise with the excuse that they want to wait for the USDA to make a recommendation.
4) Monsanto told Amazon to tame their new acquisition, as it would affect the price of the produce they will be buying.

Any other thoughts ATS on the real reason this decision was made?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Yep!

They suckerd em in! I get blasted every time I bitch about Rand Paul when he voted against allowing us to know whether the food we were eating was gmo.

As corrupt as thing are do you believe the labels from the grocery store?

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
They are digging themselves into a deeper whole.

The irony is "GMO and Healthy"

Make sure the pesticides and weed killer warnings are not on the labels either 😎💡

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Can we get some anti trust break-ups of Amazon please?

-Before everything is Brawndo.

How f'd up is it that our entire farming industry has been taken over and now we have to pay more for non-poisoned food?

After eating your RoundUp infested food, gulp down a nice blended drink of your $300 a month tap water supply, it's full of all your essential vitamins. A few included... benzene, chlorine, lead, birth control, petrolium, micro plastics, flouride, insecticides, herbacides, roundup.

Can't imagine where these cancer rates are coming from.

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Best to live in Russia now. But bring your own booze.

posted on May, 31 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Jeff Bezos likes his Monsanto profits more than he
cares about healthy foods, probably getting huge kickbacks.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Obama did the same by supporting the nonstandard protection act after saying he'd support gmo labeling in the election. These corporations really let you know where politicians "goals" are!

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The wholefoods in my town is where bored, rich housewives go to steal food for fun.

The place is garbage.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

It's really just Monsanto and roundup that concerns me. Most corn, soybeans and cotton are GMO, and up to 75% of processed food contain GMOs. It could be that the overwhelming ignorance when it comes to GMOs caused them to pause. If most foods contain some level of GMOs and Whole Foods chooses to label them without there being an industry standard or labeling recommendations from the USDA it could negatively impact business. Given the circumstances it was probably a wise move IMO.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Just to add to the tap water ingredients...prescription drugs.

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Dbl. Post
edit on 1090000006 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Behold the TRUE power of AG lobbies

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I wonder if our food priorities will ever change?

Wouldn't it be nice to invest in greenhouses? Rows and rows of greenhouses that are heated/cooled through a geothermal system. Very low energy requirements. These greenhouses could feed a town or city where it could pretty much become food secure. It could produce yields year round.

I could see this as being a way to dismantle and kill our current ag society that anymore, grows mostly poison. But that type of self sufficiency will never be tolerated.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

It is all due to "lawsuits" from attorneys who use nanorobots and regressive psychology to protect the products of GMO corporations. Those of us who believe that GMO's will eventually cause unwanted mutations are now being arbitrarily silenced.

They go to court, the judge gets regressed/botted and is then compelled to rule in favor of the corporation.

The technology used to regress the judge is a trade secret.

I won't mention any names, but certain government agencies are believed to have (stupidly) sold the technology to certain attorneys and corporations in light of an economic breakdown.

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
The wholefoods in my town is where bored, rich housewives go to steal food for fun.

The place is garbage.
Have you gone home with one of those bored rich house wives?

posted on Jun, 2 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

I wouldn't touch them with a cattle-prod.

top topics

join