It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shaun King et al accuse Texas Trooper of sexual assault, turns out it was all made up

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Early Sunday, May 20th, a Texas DPS Trooper pulled a woman over (I won't be using her name because she's not a public figure) on suspicion of DUI. The end result of that traffic stop was the woman being arrested and booked for DUI.

At some point after her arrest, either the woman or somebody in her family contacted Lee Merritt, a fairly prominent civil rights attorney, and retained him after alleging that the woman's civil rights had been violated during the traffic stop and arrest. In a released statement, Merritt was careful to use the words "alleged" and "alleges" and others of a similar nature as he described what the woman claimed happened during her traffic stop.

Merritt stated that the woman alleged that the Trooper conducted her stop made multiple attempts at coercing her into trading sexual favors for being let go, and that when those attempts failed the Trooper sexually assaulted her both inside and outside of his cruiser. Furthermore, the statement alleged that active steps were taken by the Trooper to obscure events from both the body worn camera and the cruiser's dash-cam. The woman was booked for DUI and at some point was bonded out of jail, at which time she went to a hospital to seek treatment for her alleged assault. Once Texas DPS learned of the allegations, they immediately began an investigation.

Early story of the incident.

The story was picked up by one of America's favorite race-baiters, Shaun King. King immediately hit The Big Red Button and blew the story up, claiming in a now-deleted Facebook post that the above allegations were actually the facts of the incident and generally whipping his followers into a frenzy. Texas DPS announced that they had reviewed camera footage of the entire incident and found no evidence to support any of the claims, and that it had all been sent to the prosecutor's office for further review. DPS stated that once the prosecutor completed their review, if they (the prosecutor) did not object, DPS would release the video of the incident.

Undeterred by this development, King's followers set about doxxing the Trooper involved in the incident and posting his home address, phone numbers of him and his family members, etc. online. King's Facebook page, where he initially posted his story, turned into an even bigger cesspool than normal, with numerous death threats being posted on the page as well as sent directly to the now doxxed Trooper. Not only that Trooper (and his family), though, but another Trooper who happens to share the same name was doxxed as well. He and his family also had their information posted and received threats.

Yesterday, the BWC was released. All two hours of it. Texas DPS stated that the video showed absolutely no evidence to support any one of the allegations made, let alone any evidence to corroborate the entire story. Full credit where it's due: Merritt immediately reviewed the video and released a statement apologizing for his part in "amplifying these claims." He also apologized for any trouble that had come to the Troopers involved, and flatly agreed that the video showed a) no evidence of tampering and b) no evidence to support what he had been told by the woman. He goes on to categorize the false allegations as "abuse" of his office's time and effort. Merritt has stepped up bigly, as not only did he issue the apology but has not taken down his initial statement from his website. To me that speaks volumes about him, in that he's not trying to hide from this mistake.

King, on the other hand, has not only deleted his posts about the allegations but has since refused to address the BWC footage in any way. Both his Facebook and Twitter page show plenty of recent activity, and more than one person calling him out for his participation in the incident but so far not one peep out of him.

Updated story with Merritt's statement.

At some point folks like King need to wrap their brains around something: whatever your movement is, when you fabricate events or participate in spreading fabrications of events, you do a disservice to the entire movement. And should you find yourself the victim of helping somebody push their fabrication, stepping up and owning it goes (and looks) a hell of a lot better than trying to pretend you were never involved to begin with.
edit on 23-5-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I'm wondering what type of legal recourse both of those trooper can avail themselves of because this is one seriously messed up situation. Tawana Brawley anyone?

+6 more 
posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Shaun King?

The white guy pretending to be black for publicity?

That guy is a total douchebag.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yup,
Those troopers look like they should have a pretty good good civil suit against that scumbag.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
atlantablackstar.com...
Per article linked by the OP

“Upon learning of the allegations today, the department immediately took action to review the dash cam video,” DPS said in a statement. “The video shows absolutely no evidence to support the serious accusations against the trooper during the DWI arrest of the suspect. DPS will present the video to the DA’s Office to determine if any further action is needed. The department will release the video to the public if there are no objections by the DA’s Office.”

Wait and see as usaul. But folks better start owning up to their faults rather than flinging poo.

Edit: In my experience, those cams record video facing forward towards traffic and backwards into the cruiser. Audio is included too.🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 someone is lying their A$$ off.

Just watched the body cam.... where's the assault?
Also watching 2 hour video. Maybe something is there.... not holding my breath😊
Releasing these was smart. What grounds does the clients attorney have?
edit on 23-5-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think it's time some examples were made. This kind of thing happens a bit too often, and it seems like those who spread lies, just fade away. Lawsuit should be step 1.
edit on 23-5-2018 by network dude because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I don't know how it works in Texas, to be honest. Where I'm at, can't do anything legally unless it's a formal complaint that's been filed. People can post whatever they want online about an incident but unless/until they file a complaint and it gets investigated, not much you can do.

Even the threats received probably wouldn't get anywhere, though we have a "communicating threats" law. One of the points of that law is that the threat carries the reasonable fear it will be carried out and since we don't know the specifics of threats actually sent (rather than posted online), I dunno if it would apply.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Yea, the guy who's smile looks like the photographer caught him just as he inhaled the first bit of an asparagus fart.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Shaun King is a race-baiting tool, helping to exacerbate divisiveness and victim mentality. Not surprised he is involved in perpetuating such a story.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
While there are real cases of sexism, racism, and discrimination, the current climate of believing all such complaints and poc always being right has incentivized some individuals and orgs to weaponize social justice for their own ends. Further, a lot of 'activists' refuse to admit that this happens and still preach to 'just believe.' Ultimately, this undermines real justice work.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I agree with the fact that the person who spreads BS should be held accountable.

And then there are the cases that are real and the victim is paid to do the same thing.

Both sides do it ....not defending either...just making a point .

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Talcum X , I mean Shun King needs to crawl back in the hole he climbed out of.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I'm wondering what type of legal recourse both of those trooper can avail themselves of because this is one seriously messed up situation. Tawana Brawley anyone?
I think that to dissuade people from such false accusations, they need to start being held responsible either through criminal charges or civil litigation (slander, defamation, etc).

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The easiest thing to do when you see the name Shaun King(Talcum X) on something is believed the exact opposite and you will usually be right. This guy works for the young turks do I need to say more?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
So I'm sure his social media accounts will be banned like others that have "incited violence", right??????
edit on 23-5-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2018 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SKEPTEK

Talcum X.....

How have I not heard this one before?

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
When someone makes false claims like that and the officer gets killed because of the false claims, the person who started it should be tried for a part of the murder that resulted. Same with those who release the information without checking if it is true, they also play a part in the resulting murder or assaults that come out of their involvement.

Just because we have freedom of speech does not mean we can be lying and destroying someone's life. We also should not be spreading things without verifying the content in places other than conspiracy sites where we can get other opinions and extra information that can help us understand the situation better. We debunk a lot of stuff here but also find out what is really going on a lot here. Without discussions and considering opposing viewpoints that cannot happen. If you want to go reinforce your beliefs, follow the MSM that meets your beliefs. If you want to find out what is really going on find a place where things are discussed.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Sounds like a defamation of character suit at a minimum.
Time these screeching weasels started paying for their vile insinuations.
Seems to be happening every week and I believe our public servants deserve to be protected when innocent.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: SKEPTEK

Talcum X.....

How have I not heard this one before?

Once you hear it you probably won't forget it!

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Shaun King is an enormous part of the problem, his main (paid) job is to sow the seeds of discord between whites and blacks, and water these plants to their intended, festering fruition.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join