It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
There have always been poor people. There have always been people below the poverty line.

It is only "our" business when we choose to help those with less.

But the key thing about individuality is you have the opportunity to make it or break it all on your own.

Yep

Between that and winning the lottery my schedule is full.

It is very interesting watching the shows where people dress up incognito and meet with the commoners then at the end of the show they fill their lives with help and such.

Just proves that it takes money to make money in this world.

ETA The greatest example of this is the current potus receiving a million dollars to start his venture...

The blackies thought they had it figured out as white privilege but they are learning that it is just privilege as they watch megans mom have tea with the queen...
edit on 19-5-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
There have always been poor people. There have always been people below the poverty line.

It is only "our" business when we choose to help those with less.

But the key thing about individuality is you have the opportunity to make it or break it all on your own.

Only in liberal la la land does a bell curve not exist.

Mathematically, there will always be poor people. At least here in the US our poor people actually have it pretty good compared to the rest of the world.

From an article I posted earlier. The bottom 5% in the US live better than the top 5% in India. Let that sink in...

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

And you're just now realizing this?

8 years of economic misery under Obama, and now suddenly "OMG! We got poor people!"

Spare me. I've had enough of that kind of "help." I can't afford it. I'll go with what Trump offers. Anyone who can't admit that Obama was a disaster isn't fit to even think about economics IMO.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

can show me where this is a new problem and just stared with Trump?

I didn't say it was, I said his policies can't fix it and will probably make things worse.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Start living six deep to a house, split bills, save money, problem solved.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
Yet somehow Americans can afford cell phones, beer, cigarettes, candy, liquor, cable, Netflix, and yet...food and rent is an issue....

things that make you say ummm....

This CNN article is obvious bull#.

My area has a 1 percent unemployment rate.

There are WAY more jobs than people here. and most pay pretty well.

We do have a bit of a housing crunch because of all the Californian's moving here, but it is not hard to make happen here.
edit on 19 5 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   
"Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food"

And by basics, is that entertainment, fast food, nice clothes, and cars meant to impress ? And I'v heard it said.... "Location, location, location. 200 and 300K homes ? Cable, Smart phones, big screens, and the un-necessary list moves ahead...

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: CB328

And you're just now realizing this?

8 years of economic misery under Obama, and now suddenly "OMG! We got poor people!"

Spare me. I've had enough of that kind of "help." I can't afford it. I'll go with what Trump offers. Anyone who can't admit that Obama was a disaster isn't fit to even think about economics IMO.

TheRedneck

How do you figure Obama was a disaster? I'm probably too stupid with that question for you to reply to. It wasn't all his doing but the economy recovered a lot during his presidency. From a global recession that wasn't Bush's Fault. My family and busineses thrived during Obama. So did the school systems I helped administer and the non profits I was a part of and the communities I lived in from Oregon to Nevada. Did I live in some kind of weird fantasy world Bubble or was I just the luckiest man in America?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: ventian
Start living six deep to a house, split bills, save money, problem solved.

It works for the immigrants.

If only i had a country i could send my money too and get a 10 to 1 gain on my retirement investment.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

...and rather than make their elected official do their jobs, they trust 'em to do the right thing. Oops.

Elections mean what we, the voters, make 'em mean. If we sit on our collective thumbs, guess what... We get what we deserve.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
So how much money per hour does a person have to make on average in the usa in order to have job,house,food and clothes.

Just the basics.?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Strange how that works, isn't it?

A few years back I ran into financial issues, first thing to go were all the apps that I had to pay for. Gone, **poof**.

Didn't solve the problem, but it helped. Sold the car, rode the bike. Extraneous crap went out the window for as long as it took to solve the problem.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

I made it on minimum wage.

Wasn't a whole lot of fun, but I made it. I'll grant you, I was single. But I rented what was essentially someones attic, and I made it work. My sister did the same, and she had a infant daughter. We combined our resources, and made it work. If we went without some of the "must have" for a while, hey, that's the way of it sometimes. We discovered that those "must haves" weren't so much.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I keep hearing this from anonymous names in the Internet... but everyone I know personally was lucky to survive the Obama years, much less thrive during them. So i guess that means you are the luckiest man in America. Congratulations. Quit whining.

Now it's normal people's turn.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
0bama lived a lie from start to finish, held America hostage by virtue of the IRS where he could enforce fines on the entire population, and was in bed with shady citizens of Islamic countries. Claimed 0sama's death, conveniently without proof, the list goes on, but it's not worth my time to site each event, you likely know them anyway. A lot are hard to defend huh...!

But liberals will never acquiesce that the Right might indeed be growing and building the economy. And that living to impress.... is impressing no one.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

The money you save can be your retirement investment. We Americans desire a standard of living that is unattainable for about 97% of the world. It has become a curse.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Wasn't a whole lot of fun, but I made it. I'll grant you, I was single. But I rented what was essentially someones attic, and I made it work. My sister did the same, and she had a infant daughter. We combined our resources, and made it work. If we went without some of the "must have" for a while, hey, that's the way of it sometimes. We discovered that those "must haves" weren't so much.

I am glad for you.

That does not answer the question though.

How much money per hour does one have to make in order to survive on their own in the usa?

My guess would be that it will cost the average person quite more than minimum wage unless they get a few breaks off the average price of life.

Personally for me the answer is way more than i will ever make per hour and so debt becomes the means of survival for the average person...

and guess who are greatest shining example of a person using debt to not only survive but thrive???

The current POTUS.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Almost half of US families can't afford basics like rent and food, in spite of Trump's tax cuts, tarrifs and other policies. Directing policy at the elites has not and will not help regular people in this country. Only going back to our roots of a non-corporate, non-commoditized society with lots of union and government jobs will be able to fix the disaster that is the US. The average income has barely increased for decades while the cost of housing has tripled and the number of good jobs available for non-phd's has shrunk drastically. No amount of trickle down hoaxing can fix it.

money.cnn.com...

Another thing to keep in mind is that people move in and out of income brackets over the course of their lives. I'd venture at some point, most people in theory probably struggled to pay rent and food. However, it is exceedingly rare in America for that to be a continual state for any individual.

For example, when I was in college, I was on a pretty tight budget. Rent and food sucked up most of my money. Same for my wife. We'd be part of that survey. However, the reality is that most people aren't perpetually broke. We were reminiscing about how she was living off basically $1,000 per month in her first job out of college. She paid like $500 of that in rent. Brought lunch every day. Didn't even have cable TV. Her treat was being able to eat at Chipotle on Saturday after getting a $1 video rental from the library as Blockbuster was too expensive. She makes several hundred grand a year now.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ventian

The money you save can be your retirement investment. We Americans desire a standard of living that is unattainable for about 97% of the world. It has become a curse.

Exactly what money do you speak of and who is save?

All this standard of living talk is really just fancy talk for transportation,electricity and running water. Is that basically correct?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

originally posted by: seagull

I am glad for you.

That does not answer the question though.

How much money per hour does one have to make in order to survive on their own in the usa?

My guess would be that it will cost the average person quite more than minimum wage unless they get a few breaks off the average price of life.

Personally for me the answer is way more than i will ever make per hour and so debt becomes the means of survival for the average person...

and guess who are greatest shining example of a person using debt to not only survive but thrive???

The current POTUS.

It is more than minimum wage, but the issue is not so much minimum wage but that people are now trying to live off minimum wage.

At no point in history has minimum wage ever been a "living wage".

Minimum wage jobs are not career jobs. Minimum wage is supposed to mean you have a room mate while you learn some skills and move up the income ladder. You finish school or do something that makes you qualified for more than minimum wage at which point you can start living more on your own, etc.

The problem is you have people who do stupid things like have kids before they can afford to and before they have gained any marketable skills to command higher than minimum wage. So you get a 24 year old single mom with 3 kids trying to make ends meet while dropping fries at the local burger joint. It ain't a recipe for success.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join