It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adventures With Bankrupty and My Quest for a New Guitar

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

An already built guitar?!! That is insane!

The original raid was thought to be a political jab because the president of Gibson funded candidates for the other party.

But questioning a neck, already made... words fail me.

a reply to: musicismagic

I know some feel buying a guitar without even picking it up and playing it first seems unnatural. So here's to the music gods for their oversight!

Yeah, I hope this one makes me smile when I tuner her up and plug her in!!

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

For some reason there was no photo when I responded! Weird. I have been having trouble with this thread loading...

Sweet looking guitar! I like the foto-flame maple top!

My other option was a Reverend Decent (baritone) with burnt maple neck. They make some pretty nice stuff.

a reply to: underpass61

Nice! I've always liked the Firebird too!

Often overlooked, balance is major factor. I kind of sling low and would worry too much of slamming the head down on the floor if it top heavy like that.

I know one day it will happen and I will ding the finish... but until that day I will keep on playing!

Thanks for the share!!

PS - I just re-read my title! Yeah, it does read a certain way... (D'oh!)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

May you and Dora spend a long and happy lifetime together beating as one heart. She looks extra beautiful with the Gold hardware. And those humbuckers! She'll have you superbly covered full range.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Illumimasontruth

Thank you for the kind words!

I have a Mesa Mini Rectifier that will put the Pups through the paces!

I will be back on Wednesday (afternoon) for a full report (and see what, if any, horrors were done in shipping).

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Great axe. Not for me tho... Very few out there displease me much. The Gibson Flying V, and any Ovation acoustic (but I have 2) a 6 and 12 string.

And the other I won't mention without the headstock....

All 3 fall off my lap if sitting!!!! Happy playing... looking forward to your review!!!

Ye-ha! Sweet pickins'!!!

edit on 18-5-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Personally, I like the sound of a 12 string Rickenbacker but they are a dog to play and worse to tune.

I'm happy with my 'Strat copy' Roland Guitar synthesizer controller. Only changes I'd make are better humbucking pickups (the Gibson ones where the two coils are side-by-side to each other just looks like bad engineering to me, though) and a good internal preamp with balanced out.

What I'd really like is a good custom build electric-acoustic Jazz guitar, but again probably not a Gibson.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I guess my rockin days are over. No. 1 is a Washburn copy of a ES 125. Mostly into Django and Texas Swing.

Usually get stuck on upright bass for gigs.

posted on May, 22 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I always hated that slippery plastic round back acoustic! I could never play one level on the fretting hand without my arm holding the other side flat. It is just... stoopid!

Thanx! I will play some 80's hair rock or at least a few riffs I know!

a reply to: chr0naut

A 12-string is also an option (at some future date). Then I will have a nice spectrum covered with different strings: electric baritone, 6 string acoustics, 6 sting nylon, 6 string electrics. This one will be mostly for me to play!

a reply to: olaru12

Rock is not an age thing. It is a state of mind! I will play some jazz on it just to see what it sounds like. I bet if I EQ it just right it won't sound half bad. I like Wes Montgomery myself.

Just a few more hours...

edit on 22-5-2018 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarification

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Shipping went fine. There was a cardboard box around another one, some padding (plastic bubbles), then the case with the unharmed guitar inside!

YAY! First hurdle cleared.

I took my new girlfriend out for a drink and showed a few lucky people. They were stunned!! It is a piece of furniture!! The case looks nice but it is not a road case.

Dora. Tuned up to E flat (unplugged) to a sweetened Peterson tuning. OMG! The guy on AMS who complained about the frets doesn’t know what he is talking about!! No sharp edges up and down the neck on either side. Smooth playing with almost a broke in feel. One thing I wish Gibson would do is put some lemon oil on their necks from the factory! I had black powder on my fingers after an hour of playing unplugged!

I will put 10s on (maybe 11s) and tune down a half step. I will raise the bridge on the high E side a sconch, lower the bridge Pup, then redo the intonation. And oil the fretboard.

First pass, as they say in that Aussie beer commercial... “keeper”!!

Going to hockey for game 7 (who’s in the box?!!!) so ya’ll might need to wait till Friday or the weekend for the plug in review.

Thank to all that responded!!

Besides a custom build, this is the most money I’ve spent on one guitar. And I so glad to have had it work out (so far)!

PS - If I can figure out how to dither pic size down on my phone, I’ll post some salacious photos!!

posted on May, 24 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Ok. Lemon oil on the neck. It looked thirsty. Now the fretboard is a bit darker. It looks even better!

E flat for now with the factory strings. Let it get used to the new atmosphere and shtuff.

This long weekend we will spend some quality time and maybe get some MP3s for ya’ll!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join