It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice hockey world championships 2018

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Really? No thread about this, well i thought i would make one, and see if it sparks any interest.

So the ice hockey world championships began in Denmark may 4th, the games will end may 20th.

I will watch all team Finland games, and the final even if Finland doesn't make it. I don't hold my breath waiting for success, no medals under our current coach, luckily his contract ends after these games and a better dude will take control. I think the champions this time will be Canada. They have Connor McDavid who has dominated before and he will dominate again. Right now i have to wait a couple of hours and then it is Finland - South korea. Should sound easy but we had a hard time with them in the olympics few months ago...

Anyone else watching the games? Favorite teams or players?

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

On a slightly different note, I am good friends with several of the USA sled hockey guys who won gold in SK a month or so ago. Get 'em Nikko.

Go Finland in 'real' hockey.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy
Anyone else watching the games? Favorite teams or players?

I haven't followed the NHL for years. Love international hockey though. Bigger ice surface makes for a better game.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Hockey seems to be the stepchild of sports.
Which is sort of a good thing, as the coverage isn't ruined by PC yet.

Thanks for posting.

Go, Larkin!!!!!!!
[Detroit Red Wings]

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Connor McDavid is not going to light it up at the Worlds and lift his teammates up to another level on the big ice ....he is an elite player but he is not Wayne Gretzky by a long shot....the USA put Canada in its place already proving the Canadian Team is certainly beatable.

Its hard to focus on the Worlds when the Vegas Knights are re-writing history in the Playoffs.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   

All about hockey. Unfortunately I can't stand the NHL. Too many games, the playoffs take forever, etc.

I will check out the worlds though. Thanks for the heads up.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
Its hard to focus on the Worlds when the Vegas Knights are re-writing history in the Playoffs.

Yep. Imagine if they win Stanley cup. Wouldn't that be a fairy tale? "Yeah we came to the league, it was quite easy, any tougher leagues out there?"

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I think for their sake it doesn't happen.
Not the first year.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all USA put Canada in its place already proving the Canadian Team is certainly beatable.

I thought about betting 5 euros for USA because their odds were 4.1. Would have lost it though, regular time counts and the win was on shootout after the overtime.

Yesterday wasn't very thrilling action. 8-1 win for Finland. It was a bit sad actually. Early on Finland took a 2+2 penalty because stick hit the face of a Korean dude. Two shorthanded goals, and the game was gone. Latvia tonight, a bit better team and i hope it will be an actual hockey game, not an exhibition murdering.
edit on 5-5-2018 by Finspiracy because: I failed the quote. Need more morning coffee.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   

At one point they were 500-1 odds to win the Stanley Cup....once in a lifetime odds.

The Vegas Knights IMHO are using a superior System of play ....one of their Coaches is an ex-Oilers Coach named Rocky....and he is rumored to have some really original offensive ideas the Golden Knights wanted to investigate.......looks like he was on to something.

Any tougher Leagues out there....lol..makes one wonder if the NHL is so bad or the Knights are so good....but all you need to do is watch a game to see how GOOD THEY REALLY ARE.....it is almost like they are playing a brand of their own hockey with super-fast execution in the o-zone.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I think for their sake it doesn't happen.
Not the first year.

I think for the sake of the Vegas odds makers they better not win....lol....they started out 500-1 on some books......someone is paying BIG TIME if they win it all IMHO.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

I haven't been watching these games, but I hear you on some games.
Not much fun when the teams are lopsided.

I was kinda surprised South Korea is big into hockey!!!!!!!

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Finspiracy I was kinda surprised South Korea is big into hockey!!!!!!!

Yeah
A few years ago Finland helped them a bit. Cooperation program, they sent some 3 or 4 players to play here, in the second highest league. One of them was quite good there actually. And South Korea made big efforts to play good hockey in their home olympics a few months ago.

Long way to go though... Canada just won them 10-0
(McDavid 1+2)

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I am really waiting for some true hockey games now. First game against South Korea, 8-1 for Finland, second game against Latvia, 8-1 for Finland. Game against Norway yesterday, 7-0 for Finland. Host nation Denmark later in the evening today...

Saturday against Canada. That should be sweet. They will not give an inch of space for free.

posted on May, 9 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Pissed at these games. The satellite feed was screwed when I went to watch them. Reset my cable box and now I've got them. Way behind on them now. Grrr.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 01:43 AM
link   
What?

Denmark won Finland 3-2

Two days of time to regroup, if it does not work perfectly, good rest and great game plan, then Canada will vaporize us.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy
Saturday against Canada. That should be sweet. They will not give an inch of space for free.

3 hours and it's ON.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well that was embarrassing. You can't play at an elite level with a lack of composure and poor goaltending.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Well that was embarrassing. You can't play at an elite level with a lack of composure and poor goaltending.

Didn't see that kind of a game coming after losing to Denmark. This time it was Canada having an off-game. They will get their act together later on. But you were spot on about the goaltending, it was really strange for NHL level dudes to be this bad.

Half an hour and then it is Finland against Germany. Germany is the olympic silver medalist but now only a shadow of that team, i watched them losing to Latvia 3-1 and it was almost like they didn't even try.

posted on May, 14 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Lol...Finland just walked up and took Canadas Lunch money....lol...lol...they did it by slicing and dicing the Canadians in their own zone using solid E/W tactics modeled after currently effective NHS tactics being used in the NHL....no fluke....not an off-game...they were smoked...well done Finland.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join