It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin govt. approves diverting Lake Michigan water for Taiwan's Foxconn

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

originally posted by: DanDanDat

a reply to: DanDanDat

I'm sure they're not the only ones.

So you dont object to the Taiwanese (or someone else) using natural resources to build our electronics so long as those natural resources aren't our natural resources?

I object to foreign interest for gain.

What's wrong with Americans doing it themselves?

The Americans invested it all in Taiwan....

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: DanDanDat

I'm sure they're not the only ones.

So you dont object to the Taiwanese (or someone else) using natural resources to build our electronics so long as those natural resources aren't our natural resources?

I object to foreign interest for gain.

What's wrong with Americans doing it themselves?

The Americans invested it all in Taiwan....

Yeah it's a problem.

They didn't consider the long term.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
It's rain water, so whatever
And that's around 4 Olympic swimming pools in volume.
edit on 2-5-2018 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

If they invested in the USA the opportunities would be massive, engaged with bright mindfully intelligent Scientific minds, they could create something efficient and financially successful right at home.

Problem being, they don't discuss it with Residents and ask them what they want, they just do it.
edit on 2-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

It's a problem.

I just see it as stupid that so much foreign interest has rights to things that it's own Country's Citizens don't always. There's always another way, always. Mammoths this large don't see anything but $ signs in their eyes. Look at large swathes of China for example, you're lucky if you can see the Sky and that's on a good day. Why do you think that is?
because they are economically a few decades behind us. We where once lucky to see the sky on a good day ... than we shipped all our manufacturing to China. Now in order to meet our demand for electronics they are shipping some of that manufacturing back to us.

What we need are suggestions as to 'fix' the problem, not enhance it and continue the same path that lead other Countries into a ditch. That's all I'm saying.
way to fix the problem? ... stop using electronics?

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

If they invested in the USA the opportunities would be massive, engaged with bright mindfully intelligent Scientific minds, they could create something efficient and financially successful right at home.

Problem being, they don't discuss it with Residents and ask them what they want, they just do it.

Sounds like Taiwan is making a fair sized investment, in the USA.

Nearly $4.7 billion is budgeted for construction of buildings, and more than $5 billion is budgeted for machinery and equipment in the plant. The balance of the $10 billion investment will go toward such things as furniture, fixtures and information technology.

Spending on the plant is expected to total $543 million next year, then rising to an annual peak of nearly $3 billion in 2020 before tapering off through 2022.
www.jsonline.com...

I guess they'll have to adjust their construction budget upward though. Price of steel and aluminum, doncha know?
edit on 5/2/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

this disgusts me on so many levels.. what does the pushback look like by taxpayers???? Representatives in the government obviously sold out...

link   
a reply to: Phage

Not to mention some likely good paying jobs

link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

That's in the article.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It would take a crazy long time to negatively impact Lake MI. One of the local weather guys here n W MI (Bill Steffen) does a lot of nerdy weather blog entries, and hits on lake levels often. His last one earlier this week about lake levels had this to say:

It was bright and clear across Lake Michigan on Sunday. Lake Michigan/Huron is up 4" in the last month and up 4" year-to-year and is now 18" higher than average.

And

All the Great Lakes connecting rivers have above average flow and that will continue into the summer. The Detroit River is running at 212,000 cubic feet per second and that is 115% of average flow.

Great Lakes Water Levels - Ice Extent and News.

I don't think there's too much to worry about with 2.7 million gallons being used. The current river outflows into the lake, any given one right now, is pretty high. We'd have to have a pretty severe drought up here, or cessation of water coming in entirely, to have any real impact.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Who gives Wisconsin the right to take water from the Great Lakes?
When did it become the possession of one state?

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I gotta find out how much water was diverted to the new Pro Bass Shop's mall and amusement park in my area. It may be more than that..

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

A lot of businesses do that, being diverted means it is used then treated and let into a river which ends up in a river going to the ocean. Probably the Mississipi river.

I do not consider this inappropriate, it will just lower the amount going directly into the Mississippi river through the outlet.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

That's a good question I think people need answering from those in charge of this. One jurisdiction over another doesn't come across as fair play over another State.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

this disgusts me on so many levels.. what does the pushback look like by taxpayers???? Representatives in the government obviously sold out...

You, me and a lot of other People. Sell outs have sold us all out, and it's high time 'The People' had the majority vote on this, after all it concerns them on a few levels.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I found this link as I wanted to know what the water is being used for. I figured cooling. Anyways 39 percent will be lost due to evaporation the rest to be treated and returned to the lake.
gizmodo.com...

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

I found this link as I wanted to know what the water is being used for. I figured cooling. Anyways 39 percent will be lost due to evaporation the rest to be treated and returned to the lake.
gizmodo.com...

Do you trust that the rest will be treated properly, and 39% is a chunk. Of course there are those who will say, but rain!

I stopped trusting the 'experts' a long time ago. It's a dance and pony show, just like everything else.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Just how Polluted is Taiwan?

If they can't get their # together in their own Country, what makes people think they're going to respect Ours?
edit on 3-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:33 AM
link   
On the one hand everyone cries for manufacturing jobs to be returned to their country; how else will industry work without a water supply?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
On the one hand everyone cries for manufacturing jobs to be returned to their country; how else will industry work without a water supply?

If they stopped assassinating Scientists that question them, we'd find out.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join