It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancel the wall - Post gaurds - 5% of the cost & employs 23,000 people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
So we all knew this wall issue was either going to be a bunch of BS or a total white elephant and with the new estimate and hideous prototypes of the wall, all that is panning out. If this goes through, Trump should be impeached for wasting tax $$ and there should be extreme scruitiny to the company and contractors working on the wall and a complete cost breakdown of everything related to it. Hell, China built cities to house 5million + people for just over 10 billion and completed this in a couple years! How much more simple is a wall. Yeah, Trump knows how to build walls, he's the bestest at it cuz he said so, its gots to be tru.

So if the wall is $30 billion, that would pay for 666,667 people employed for one year at $45,000 per year. If you decide to put 24,000 people on the wall as gaurds, the $30 billion would last 28 years (longer if there was interest on the money, which would actually make it about 40 years). Now 24,000 people is a little unrealistic as if it was manned 24/7 and split into 8 hour shifts, then 8,000 people per shift. On a 2,000 mile border, then that is a man every 1/4 mile or a 2 man team every 1/2 mile.

Now if you allocated 1 billion per year at $45,000 per year then that would still be 22,222 people, or 3.7 people per mile (so about 10% less). considering there are hundreds of miles that are impassible these numbers still come out to be more than 4 people per mile 24/7 at 8 hour shifts.

I can see a lot more advantages of a program like this than a wall as it would provide employment, and good employment for people. It could also be used as training or for people to server 2-4 weeks per year as a reserve duty rotating in from all of the states. I guess this could be drawn from national gaurd and reserve troops and even active military personell, or if that is illegal then there could be a program where people from those branches "transfer" out for their 2-4 week tour, and get paid by border patrol for that period. I'm sure something could be worked out to make it legal, DC is never short of making laws work for them when they want to, I'm surprised they haven't tried to legislate physics.

How many of you people think a wall is the best idea? IDK how many people would really be needed to man a wall, especially with some aerial survaillance (lighter than air video/sensor equipped ships) could greatly multiply the amount of area one person could cover/man.

I'm not to keen on having a huge wall on any border for a number of reasons but I do think there need to be borders that are respected and if they aren't then putting people on them isn't a bad idea. A wall makes me think of Soviet era Berlin.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
No, put up that wall. Then we need a space wall against aliens!

BTW Mexican wall will not be a Berlin wall, it is going to be like Great Wall of China to protect against the Mongolians!
edit on 28-4-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I read your full OP and am unsure of the point of it.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
People can be bribed. Walls can't.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
I read your full OP and am unsure of the point of it.

How not? His point is that we could put guards on the border instead of building a wall and it would cost much less money. According to the OP (I did not confirm the math), the cost of a wall could employ tens of thousands of people over nearly 3 decades of time, or it could pay for a wall. It's actually not a bad idea, assuming the math works out.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
What are the Trade Unions saying ?

😮☝️

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
So we all knew this wall issue was either going to be a bunch of BS or a total white elephant and with the new estimate and hideous prototypes of the wall, all that is panning out. If this goes through, Trump should be impeached for wasting tax $$ and there should be extreme scruitiny to the company and contractors working on the wall and a complete cost breakdown of everything related to it. Hell, China built cities to house 5million + people for just over 10 billion and completed this in a couple years! How much more simple is a wall. Yeah, Trump knows how to build walls, he's the bestest at it cuz he said so, its gots to be tru.

So if the wall is $30 billion, that would pay for 666,667 people employed for one year at $45,000 per year. If you decide to put 24,000 people on the wall as gaurds, the $30 billion would last 28 years (longer if there was interest on the money, which would actually make it about 40 years). Now 24,000 people is a little unrealistic as if it was manned 24/7 and split into 8 hour shifts, then 8,000 people per shift. On a 2,000 mile border, then that is a man every 1/4 mile or a 2 man team every 1/2 mile.

Now if you allocated 1 billion per year at $45,000 per year then that would still be 22,222 people, or 3.7 people per mile (so about 10% less). considering there are hundreds of miles that are impassible these numbers still come out to be more than 4 people per mile 24/7 at 8 hour shifts.

I can see a lot more advantages of a program like this than a wall as it would provide employment, and good employment for people. It could also be used as training or for people to server 2-4 weeks per year as a reserve duty rotating in from all of the states. I guess this could be drawn from national gaurd and reserve troops and even active military personell, or if that is illegal then there could be a program where people from those branches "transfer" out for their 2-4 week tour, and get paid by border patrol for that period. I'm sure something could be worked out to make it legal, DC is never short of making laws work for them when they want to, I'm surprised they haven't tried to legislate physics.

How many of you people think a wall is the best idea? IDK how many people would really be needed to man a wall, especially with some aerial survaillance (lighter than air video/sensor equipped ships) could greatly multiply the amount of area one person could cover/man.

I'm not to keen on having a huge wall on any border for a number of reasons but I do think there need to be borders that are respected and if they aren't then putting people on them isn't a bad idea. A wall makes me think of Soviet era Berlin.

That's what everyone says $30bil

More like 10. Is realistic.

Makes jobs, right? Pot #in holes or a wall?

I have walls where I live. And guards.

I'm glad.

Coz people suck. they will kill you in a heart beat.

Don't believe me? try it.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
No, put up that wall. Then we need a space wall against aliens!

BTW Mexican wall will not be a Berlin wall, it is going to be like Great Wall of China to protect against the Mongolians!

Who cares.

It keeps out the riff raff.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

The wall is a better idea because it wouldn’t be removed by the next Progressive President looking for more voters.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Ameilia

The wall is a better idea because it wouldn’t be removed by the next Progressive President looking for more voters.

Don't worry I definitely get it.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   
But that would be "it would pay for 69000 mexican workers to pay for that wall" if mexico ends up paying for it.a reply to: DigginFoTroof

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The wall will pay for itself with how much American tax dollars will be saved supporting illegals generation after generation.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   
No mongolians but there are Canadiens.
If Trump promises to make Canada pay for it I am all for a Canadien Wall to keep that crazy Trudeau character above the 48th parallelreply to: makemap

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

The wall could be built for way less money if we hire illegal aliens to do the work.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Just use the military. Thousands of our brave soldiers will be returning from Syria and South Korea soon. Equip them with drones and all the equipment they need to keep people from entering the USA illegally. If someone slips through send them back. No more "catch and release" into the U.S. population. Terminate that Obama-era program.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   

So your point?sounds more like a rant filled with liberal ideas,doesn't real;ly cover a topic sounds more like a Trump hater

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

You would need a lot more then 4 people per mile. All that would happen is you will get people killed as drug runners shoot them. If they even saw them in the first place. The only way you could pull this off would be to mine the border. And I think the wall is kind of dumb but at least it wont blow people up.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Why not make a game-show where viewers buy a certain square of land, a drone then buries a mine at that spot.

Then the buyer of the mine is a winner if their mine (physically) stops a illegal from entering US territory.

It will be an awesome 'Run the Gauntlet' survivalist live TV game show, especially when an illegal manages to go boom and then land on another mine. Chainers - special prizes on those lottery square 'buyers'.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

Land mines. Might be the cheapest solution. Maybe some robotic machine guns as well.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Your math appears to leave out the cost of materials, and I am sure it will be a Davis Bacon wage project.
Keep the Democrats out of the project and the cost will be less. They seem to spend money like a drunken sailer on leave.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join