It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pig brains are kept alive OUTSIDE their bodies for the first time in a radical experiment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Immortality on a handicapped plane? No thanks! I want to exist immortally in my natural energy form.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
This is interesting because you can see a day when a persons brain is attached to a healthy body or kept alive in an virtual environment. Maybe even in an AI systems or robots.

Pig brains have been kept alive outside their bodies for the first time as part of a controversial new experiment.

The brains of hundreds of pigs survived for up to 36 hours after the animals had been decapitated, researchers revealed.

The radical experiments could pave the way for brain transplants and may one day allow humans to become immortal by hooking up our minds to artificial systems after our natural bodies have perished.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

In 30-50 years from now, life on earth will have changed radically. Maybe even sooner.

Scientist Dr Nenad Sestan, who led the Yale University team, disclosed his methods in a meeting at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.

Researchers were able to successfully remove the heads of between 100 and 200 pigs and resuscitate their brains while detached from the body.

The organs were connected to a closed-loop system the scientists dubbed 'BrainEX' that pumped key areas with artificial oxygen-rich blood to sustain life.

In what Dr Sestan described as a 'mind-boggling' and 'unexpected' result, billions of cells in the brains were found to be alive and healthy.

Pig brains are kept alive OUTSIDE their bodies for the first time in a radical experiment

Thanks for ruining wednesday dinner.

GAG!

edit on 4 26 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

But if you can get a head in a jar to stay alive and conscious than you can put that head in a robot body.

That would give a person a much longer life.

It would also be amazing for the physically impaired.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

All mater is energy. So a metal and plastic body is no less a body of energy than a flesh and bone one would be.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
But being a head in a jar hardly describes an ideal life.

I don't know. Some people spend their life sitting on a sofa, so sitting on a jar won't be much different.

In seriousness, I think this type of research is worrying.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

All mater is energy. So a metal and plastic body is no less a body of energy than a flesh and bone one would be.

I would rather have a flesh girlfriend rather than a plastic or metal one. They may all be made of the same matter, but it is rearranged and works much differently. I may use the threat of replacing my gf with a droid the next time she gets on my nerves.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Thoseaintcontrails

I would rather have a flesh girlfriend rather than a plastic or metal one.

Don't knock it till you tried it.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 02:52 AM
link   
The MST3k treatment is hilarious.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATruGod
Or They got it working with Hawking and this is slow disclosure...Simpsons have been right before. (Heads vs Brains I know)
Hawking is headed in the general direction of Mars in a Tesla

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thoseaintcontrails

This is interesting because you can see a day when a persons brain is attached to a healthy body or kept alive in an virtual environment. Maybe even in an AI systems or robots.

Pig brains have been kept alive outside their bodies for the first time as part of a controversial new experiment.

The brains of hundreds of pigs survived for up to 36 hours after the animals had been decapitated, researchers revealed.

The radical experiments could pave the way for brain transplants and may one day allow humans to become immortal by hooking up our minds to artificial systems after our natural bodies have perished.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

In 30-50 years from now, life on earth will have changed radically. Maybe even sooner.

Scientist Dr Nenad Sestan, who led the Yale University team, disclosed his methods in a meeting at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.

Researchers were able to successfully remove the heads of between 100 and 200 pigs and resuscitate their brains while detached from the body.

The organs were connected to a closed-loop system the scientists dubbed 'BrainEX' that pumped key areas with artificial oxygen-rich blood to sustain life.

In what Dr Sestan described as a 'mind-boggling' and 'unexpected' result, billions of cells in the brains were found to be alive and healthy.

I will believe this when I see the brain put back into something with normal functionality as if the brain were never removed.

already planning that with that guy in Russia. where they want to transplant his head onto another body.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: generik

originally posted by: Thoseaintcontrails

www.dailymail.co.uk...

I will believe this when I see the brain put back into something with normal functionality as if the brain were never removed.

already planning that with that guy in Russia. where they want to transplant his head onto another body.

Whenever I think about that it sends shivers up my spine. If that poor guy survives he's potentially in for a fate worse than death.

Being a person with MS I'm all too aware of symptoms that only relatively small amounts of damage to the nervous system can do and how it can manifest. I shudder to think of what can go on with such a radical procedure could cause him to experience. Ooft.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

You'd still be limited to this 3d physical plane of existence.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

a reply to: chr0naut

But if you can get a head in a jar to stay alive and conscious than you can put that head in a robot body.

That would give a person a much longer life.

It would also be amazing for the physically impaired.

What if you needed to pee?

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

That was a disturbing video.

I can't even begin to imagine the pain and confusion those dogs must of felt.

Trippy stuff.

As horrid as these experiments are,
I can see the need for them.

If human beings want to become immortal or just very very long lived,
it is hard to imagine any other way of doing it.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Well the brain was alive yeah, but we have no way of knowing if it still had a mind attached to it? I mean the pig couldn't tell us and if you put the brain back then what? That would be the real test. You would really need a human to test this or how could they actually speak to tell anyone they were still them? Hearts beat after they are taken out of the body it proves nothing about life and then they pit it into another body and nothing from the other person is left behind. Except a few people who say they like beer now or something like that.

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Two words.

GET OUT!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join