It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i have an idea for a reactionless engine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This is an idea for a reactionless engine that can be built with pistons and cylinders:

imagine you are at the top of a 10 story building, at the bottom a cannonball is shot horizontally and is tight with a rope you are holding with a frictionless gloves

lets neglect gravity and consider the rope weightless, the ball is going straight and since you are letting the rope glide in your hands it keeps that direction for as long as necessary

you apply a force or tension to the rope of 1 kg during one second when you are right above the cannon, that pulls you downwards but the trajectory of the ball is now slightly upwards

you wait for as long as necessary without applying tension to the rope
till the ball is in your horizontal

now when the cannonball is in your horizontal you keep a constant tension of 1kg on the rope what means you are being pulled rightwards and UPWARDS

at a given moment youll have the ball going totally upwards so all you have to do is hold the rope tight and be pulled up

when the ball is shot you apply the 1 kg tension when the ball is right underneath you

if after applying the 1 kg tension the ball takes 1000 seconds to get to my horizontal it would be the same effect if I applied a constant tension of 1 gram during those 1000 seconds this would be more convenient

by holding a tension of 1 gram or 1 kg I mean to let the rope glide and go away in such a way that the force indicated by a dynamometer put in the rope would be that one of 1 gram or kg actually my gloves wouldn’t be frictionless anymore they would cause a slight friction that would cause a slight tension

there will be a transformation of the kinetic energy into a very slight down and lateral thrust first and then a bigger up and lateral thrust the lateral thrust is annulated by a symmetrical set that acts like in a mirror

lets suppose we throw the ball with a given energy and we apply a tension of 1 gram during 1000 seconds, the radius will increase a lot and the w decrease a lot so if it took to the ball to reach my horizontal 1000 seconds in reaching my vertical might take 2 or 3 or even 10 times more depending on the tension, the less the tension the more the radius what means the less the w and the more time the 1 gram force is applied in each quarter

so the initial kinetic energy is transformed into horizontal force and vertical force of which the upwards force will be 2, 3 or 10 times more than the downward force depending in the applied tension in the rope or the resultant radius

one of the interesting things of my engine is that like it is kept all time spinning the lateral forces are kept as energy

to build this engine would be very simple you need a pair of hollow cylinders that spin holded by their middle counterotatory in the inside there are two pistons facing each other and that always keep a constant distance so when one expands the other retracts

the movement is made in such a way that while the cylinder spins the piston that is pointing to 6 oclock is let go away from the center of spin and therefore the piston aiming to 12 is taken towards the center, when the pistons reach the horizontal the senses are inverted and the piston that before was let away from the center now is taken towards the center, each piston will be at the same distance from the center when they are vertical, when they are horizontal the difference in distance of each piston to the center is maximum one piston will have move totally away from the center while the other piston will have even pass through the center

said with another words all times a piston is in the bottom half of the circle its let go away from the center and if its at the top of the half is taken towards the center

the more the variation of radius the more the thrust therefore would be interesting that when the piston is taken towards the center it can go through it and pass it

like the w tends to keep constant since one piston tendes to acelerate the w and the other to decelerate it appears also a lateral thrust because the centripetal force is bigger in one half than another so taking into account that there are two forces acting separated 90 degrees is the resultant of this two forces the one to be used in this way if we want to go towards 12 oclock the cycle would start (when the pistons are balanced) at 4:30 one cylinder and at 7:30 the cylinder that is spinning the opposite way taking into account that the imaginary line that unites both cylinders axes go from 9 to 3 oclock

I have found the easiest way to calculate the direction of thrust by calculating the tension that each piston applies in the axe of the spinning cylinder

theres only one gearing necessary and would be the one that relates the spinning with the movement of the pistons to this same gearing could be attached the spinning force that would produce the thrust I think the ideal would be using a motorcycle chain to unite the ends of the cylinder where the axes of the pistons are with the center axe of the cylinder using two chains for each piston axe united to the cylinder axe for reasons of balance

the amount of thrust depends on the w, the variation of radius and the weight of the pistons
i believe the reason for this device to work is that the centripetal force ( the tension) is much higher in the inwards spiral (second quarter) than in the outwards spiral (first quarter) even though they are simetrical

I also have an idea to test gyroscopic inertial thrusters by holding the thruster in a cable that instead of being attached directly to the ceiling is attached to a cart with wheels that goes on rails being these rails on the ceiling

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
You had me right up until paragraph 3.....where you said "lets neglect gravity."

Sorry, you can't neglect gravity.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
according to n3 everything has a reaction (I know its not the type of reaction you meant but you need to word more carefully)

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Physical Neglect

Originally posted by mrwupy
Sorry, you can't neglect gravity.

Sure you can!

Doing so, however, usually results in serious or fatal physical injury.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I don't mean to be rude but your first sentence shoots the rest of the article to pieces. How can you have a reactionless engine if you have pistons and cylinders in the equation? Last time I took a good look, overcoming gravity is a pretty hard thing to do. Now if you have a budget such as N.A.S.A. you might be able to get this idea off the ground.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Yes, but that law is flawed along with the flat-earth laws. There is already a pattent out there for a reactionless engine, although perhaps a different design. I know this because I invented one, but was didn't patent it because it was already patented. )-:

-P

Originally posted by llama009
according to n3 everything has a reaction (I know its not the type of reaction you meant but you need to word more carefully)

top topics

join