It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clear Up the Policy Please

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

And "libtard", a buzzword right out of the echo chamber. *shivers with repulsion"

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I have a question for the mods.

Then why bring it to the board?

I have been warned twice about using the word 'retarded' and NOT in regards to other members...

Somehow I doubt this.

I have even had an extensive conversation regarding the use of this word with one of the mods who explained the word was 'never acceptable.

Nothing wrong with the word unless it's used as an insult. Seems like someone got their hand caught in the cookie jar and now are looking for support from the members.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

i dont normmally bother to reply to such pureile ad-homs

but just this once - i would drop an entire stick of retarded bombs on you

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I look after people with LD and they hate the word as do I.
It's about not being a douche bag.

I too work and volunteer w/many. Disabled, disadvantaged, children, adults and seniors... Physically, birth defects, dementia and retardation.

Use the specific word in a derogatory way in front of me? And I will beat the crap outta you... and I'm a peaceful person.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   

REALLY ?????????????

if the use of a word escalates you to physical violence - then NO you are NOT a " peacefull person "

you are a thug who should not be working with vulnerable persons

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

REALLY ?????????????

if the use of a word escalates you to physical violence - then NO you are NOT a " peacefull person "

Kind of have to agree here. Call my brother a retard and all I'm going to do is shrug and say "So what?". NOT beat someone to kingdom come for it.

Check your attitude very closely, MS.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
It's a nasty word when used as a pejorative. It should be snipped...but I agree with the OP that it should be enforced across the board.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
a reply to: Metallicus
It's a nasty word when used as a pejorative. It should be snipped...but I agree with the OP that it should be enforced across the board.

In that event, I'd wager calling someone Intellectually Disabled & many other line-toeing insults will quickly fill the void with equal snark for those targeted with them. Then what? Ban them too because someone got butthurt over the word's slang use as a pejorative?

I strongly suggest people chill out and give it a rest. Ban a word and all you get is a replacement with the same meaning & intent.
edit on 4/14/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

We were talking about this at training as a kid we used to call people a spack due to the spastic society so they changed the name to scope so the kids now use the term scopers.
I do agree with mysterious though anyone calls my dudes something derogatory I will clout em. My dudes can not def end themselves so I would defend them against any # coming their way.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I strongly suggest people chill out and give it a rest. Ban a word and all you get is a replacement with the same meaning & intent.

Why fight for the right to be hurtful? Do you apply the same rationale to 'the N-word'?

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

REALLY ?????????????

A thug? Really? Thanks... Your interpretation of my opinion is flawed. I'd say your member name is well chosen, sir.

Thank you though... No worries

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

REALLY ?????????????

Kind of have to agree here. Call my brother a retard and all I'm going to do is shrug and say "So what?". NOT beat someone to kingdom come for it.

Check your attitude very closely, MS.
y

My attitude is always in check. Thanks. Take my above statement as stated. Defense of those who cannot defend themselves. Read... and re-read my statement.

It stands as stated.

Thank you again.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Hello again Johnny... been awhile! 100% in agreement. Thanks... Take care

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I agree that the word has been used throughout time as a hateful word. That is what makes it offensive.

My brother-in-law has been intellectually and physically disabled since birth. He went to a regular school for a while, in only special classes. I watched my future-husband, a normally peaceful person, seethe with rage watching his little brother called that word by their peers. It hurt him, and those who did it were full of ignorance and hate.

Those of us who knew my future-husband and his brother and loved them would always stick up for them, and I do to this day.

Unless you have watched someone come home crying, or walk through the halls of a school with a beat-down dejected saddest look you ever saw, then you really can never understand the power of a simple word.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Use the specific word in a derogatory way in front of me? And I will beat the crap outta you... and I'm a peaceful person.

I wouldn't jump straight to violence over the nasty insult if I saw it happen, but I would tell them they should think about how hurtful that is to another human. If they chose to escalate it because of my disapproval of their actions then I would remain calm, until such time as they approached in a threatening manner to within range, then bang.

I've done similar many times in the past, and it's the only way in UK law to justify force, reasonable force. The only excuse is fear for the safety of yourself or others. Anger over an insult will see you in court.
I understand your anger though, and I imagine in a situation such as I described above, I would secretly want my calm expression of disapproval to make him angry enough to break my personal space, then bang.
I can't legally attack a man over an insult in the UK, but I can defend with reasonable force if the prick comes at me...so it's not too difficult for them to punch themself in the face shall we say by winding them up to attack me instead.

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
Unless you have watched someone come home crying, or walk through the halls of a school with a beat-down dejected saddest look you ever saw, then you really can never understand the power of a simple word.

Wow, touched my heart, big love x

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

My words were figuratively stated. I spend my days helping people, not hurting them.

I carry a firearm as well. Not to kill people, but in defense of anyone else being hurt or worse.

Thank you for your reply

MS/ EMT/1St Responder

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Well said...my point. Thanks so much

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I want clarity on a policy that has been applied inconsistently. I have NEVER used it to describe a member on this site so you are the one who is wrong and just being a jerk (jerk is still cool I think).

One mod told me it can never be used on this site so since it is being used all over the site it creates confusion. I want to know if one mod is wrong or if it is just not being enforced.

Why can't there be an official statement on the word which was perfectly fine 10 years ago. It is being co-opted just like the word 'gay' for some PC agenda.

edit on 2018/4/14 by Metallicus because: Sp / grammar

posted on Apr, 14 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Everyone's been that person. It teaches you to toughen up for RL.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join