It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen turns down plea deal for 25 years in prison, gets 65 years instead

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: Cygnis
Only thing I can think of is he's set for life..

British prison I'd agree, but US prisons seem way harsher environments.

Depends on the US prison. They get a weight room, cable tv, game tables, unlimited supply of books to read, and other luxuries the normal person has to pay a membership for.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
Depends on the US prison. They get a weight room, cable tv, game tables, unlimited supply of books to read, and other luxuries the normal person has to pay a membership for.

And you can stay in your room and post to ATS all day, with the only difference being instead of never wanting to leave your room, you never get to leave it.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Exactley.

The law adds up to 65 years. Thats the law, and its convicteds choice to break it.

The issue is the 'plea bargain', which should be banned - globally - as it makes a mockery of the 'tariff' for the crime, and with it the concept of public justice.

Cricitism should be directed at the 25 year 'plea bargain' pitch, not the relative severity of the 'by the book' sentence.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doxanoxa

Exactley.

The law adds up to 65 years. Thats the law, and its convicteds choice to break it.

The issue is the 'plea bargain', which should be banned - globally - as it makes a mockery of the 'tariff' for the crime, and with it the concept of public justice.

Cricitism should be directed at the 25 year 'plea bargain' pitch, not the relative severity of the 'by the book' sentence.

Wait... In the same breath you say 65 years is the law, but plea bargain I guess is not also the law.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
seems harsh.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Disagree.

The words 'plea bargain' implies an agreement prior to entering the court process, because a defendant is asked to plead guilty or not at the start of the process.

'Plea bargaining may be actioned, typically but not exclusively, by Law 'actors' but its not part of the law, itself.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Did the plea deal include non-negotiations as far as sentence goes? If so, probably why he did not accept the plea bargain. Once you sign a plea, you are admitting your guilt, and appealing becomes much more difficult. I imagine his lawyer told him to not accept, thinking they could appeal and get less than the 25.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

My college economics professor explained it to me. It is far more effective to have longer sentences and more prisons than more police officers because of the high rate of committing another crime.

As for case this is a jury trial right? The blame then goes on the jury if true.

posted on Apr, 13 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

There's no information here on the content of the please bargain.

Logically the Perp will/should appeal against the sentance and it will be reduced - because the State would have accepted a 25 year sentence without a trial.

The tarrif or by the book sentance of 65 years should, in my opion, have been the deal.

As it is, the State just cost itself money and embarresment.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join