It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen turns down plea deal for 25 years in prison, gets 65 years instead

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: orionthehunter

Your strawman is a wee bit off base, as the felony murder rule is only applied in violent crimes when somebody is killed.

So no, you won’t be going to prison for doing two miles an hour over the speed limit and got in a traffic collision.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

What if your daughter was killed during a high speed chase when some moron is running from he law? Whether it is the cop car or the criminals car that killed her the moron running from the cops is the proximate cause of the death.

And that is a good use of such a law.

That is completely different from this situation, though.
edit on 11-4-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Xtrozero

There's cases of drunk drivers killing multiple people and only getting 5 - 10 years in prison.

But I can already see the issue here.
Cops were involved and shot at, and the guy is black. Open and shut case in the eyes of the law. Moral of the story, don't be a black kid making dumb mistakes around police officers, you'll end up like this guy.

Or the moral of the story is don't make the personal choice to be a criminal..

Nah you are right..that isn't the problem, its racism.

He was 15 at the time.
Obviously got into the wrong crowed. If he was early 20s or even 18 I wouldn't be calling the cop priv / race card, but this happens alot for people that age.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I didn't read all the replies on this one, so my apologies if this is a restatement (but it's my opinion so hopefully it doesn't matter).

Here's my opinion on the matter:

First, the case will likely be appealed on legal grounds.

However, that not withstanding, it seems to me that if such a collateral liability law is to exist then it should apply to "any" sort of a murder...not just the murder of a law enforcement officer. LEO's are no better than anyone else in society. That is to say, to place a higher value on the life of an LEO over the life of someone's son, daughter, wife, husband, mother or father is inherently unjust.

That's my .02

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
That is to say, to place a higher value on the life of an LEO over the life of someone's son, daughter, wife, husband, mother or father is inherently unjust.

You're talking about a difference between societal worth and personal worth. Society, through the laws it has agreed to be enacted, decided that certain public servants like police, firemen, and even postal workers, deserve to be valued higher because they are in the public service. They are put in a position of authority, and the penalties for harming them are higher while at the same time they're given more latitude when it comes to interactions with people.

However, on a personal level they're worth the same as everybody else to their friends and family. Basically not much and only until everyone who ever knew them is also dead.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Why? They get paid for what they do, just like everyone else. What about doctors who save people's lives, aren't they valuable? What about Aunt Mable, isn't she valuable? Don't they all perform a public service? Why, just because someone works for a municipality, do they all of a sudden become more valuable in the eyes of the law?

That was my point.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doxanoxa

What was the basis of the 25 year plea bargain deal?

No clue...I never understood how the same crime can be 25 years or 65 years...

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Your strawman is a wee bit off base, as the felony murder rule is only applied in violent crimes when somebody is killed.

So no, you won’t be going to prison for doing two miles an hour over the speed limit and got in a traffic collision.

He also got 35 years for non-violent breaking and entering, so are you sure about all that?

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I’m positive, since a felony murder conviction isn’t a conviction for burglary or a conviction for theft.

You should probably read the pertinent criminal code which sort of spells out exactly when felony murder can be applied. Hint: burglary is one of the crimes.
edit on 11-4-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

You should probably read the pertinent criminal code which sort of spells out exactly when felony murder can be applied. Hint: burglary is one of the crimes.

My question is more related to are you sure that a speeding ticket at some point could not be inflated to put you in jail for a long period of time too.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I’ll give you a little personal experience with the law and racism/judgement. Age 16 I was convicted of 2 counts of aggravated burglary, one was a cops house with his squad car in the front. Yea the four of us were really thinking clearly on copious amounts of hallucinogenics. Three white boys one Mexican first time offenses for all of us I got 18 days in Juvie, other white kid 14 days, last white kid 22 days. The Mexican got 2 years in DYS(prison for juveniles). They believed him to be the mastermind because of his ethnicity and ghetto look when in all reality the pretty boy whom got the least time orchestrated the whole thing. Planned it, begged and pleaded nearly forcing all of us when we all wanted to back out and just go look at the stars on the trampoline. That’s the system at work for you, I’m so glad I’m not African American for these reasons alone.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Why, just because someone works for a municipality, do they all of a sudden become more valuable in the eyes of the law?

Because they're not just doing a regular job like the rest of us slobs. They actually represent the state, which really doesn't cotton to having their representatives harmed. So they jack up the penalties for harming them.

Like I said, on a personal level, we're all worth about the same to our loved ones and family. But not all of us are acting as representatives of the state and its chosen laws.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
My question is more related to are you sure that a speeding ticket at some point could not be inflated to put you in jail for a long period of time too.

Probably not just speeding. But if the driver mows somebody down in a crosswalk and takes off, making it a felony hit and run, I wonder if a passenger is going to share any of the liability. *scratches chin*

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I’m sure you won’t go to prison for life for doing two over and getting into an accident, yep.
edit on 11-4-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

So, the little prick was laughing at the judge. Let's see if he's laughing a year from now!

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MegatonJim

So, the little prick was laughing at the judge. Let's see if he's laughing a year from now!

He is the prick and we are society, lets not change rolls here...lol

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Am I the only one who sees something really wrong with all this?

The crime lead to a death. Yeah. There's something wrong here. Why didn't this guy get a death sentence?

And the crap he spouted off in court should have bought him a minimum of Life Without Parole.

Good riddance to another asshat who will never earn the right to live in Our Society.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Sure it has already been said but I think to be found guilty of capitol murder, someone must die in a crime in which the defendant is proved to have been aware of the gun in his accomplice's possession. If a person perpetrating a crime knows a gun is coming along with the perps then I have no problem in those involved being tried as murderers. Some hot headed criminal with a gun you better understand is bringing the gun for one reason and all those who don't think, "hey this is getting out of hand and is no longer our simply trying to snatch a few bucks," and call the police to warn them IS responsible foe anyone who ends up dead.

posted on Apr, 11 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

Am I the only one who sees something really wrong with all this?

The crime lead to a death. Yeah. There's something wrong here. Why didn't this guy get a death sentence?

And the crap he spouted off in court should have bought him a minimum of Life Without Parole.

Good riddance to another asshat who will never earn the right to live in Our Society.

If that's how it is perhaps 15 year olds should be legally allowed to buy firearms too.

posted on Apr, 12 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Maybe it's time for a high school class in crime and punishment in their state.

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join