It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newly Discovered Galaxy with Little or No Dark Matter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It seems that astronomers have found a new galaxy, called DF2, that is showing little to no indicators of containing dark matter. Which would be basically impossible if current theories on the subject are accurate.

For those less scientific folks out there, dark matter is a substance that astronomers are still unable to see, but think makes up much of the known universe. Dark matter is an essential part of the Big Bang Theory, but this discovery could completely undo current theories about how galaxies are created. 

"This is really bizarre," co-author Roberto Abraham, an astronomer at the University of Toronto, told AFP. "For a galaxy this size, it should have 30 times as much dark matter as regular matter. What we found is that there is no dark matter at all. That shouldn't be possible.”

I always thought ( in the back of my mind admittedly) that the whole " dark matter" theory was lacking. I honestly think its just a generic name for something science doesn't understand yet.

Source used in OP
More detailed article; Also sourced in other article

edit on 3-4-2018 by Chickensalad because: Added source

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Sorry, already posted.

Sci. & Tech, A dark matter free galaxy.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
Sorry, already posted.

Sci. & Tech, A dark matter free galaxy.

Ope!
AutoMods! Roll out!

posted on Apr, 6 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I'm assuming that it's allowed in two different forums?

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad
I'm assuming that it's allowed in two different forums?
Yes, if one thread is in a breaking news forum, and the other thread is in a different forum, otherwise, no. But mods are not omniscient, someone has to notify them to close the duplicate thread, preferably the duplicate thread author, in this case, you.

new topics

top topics

join