It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twin Peaks Revisit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'm revisiting Twin Peaks, all 3 incarnations.

One of the things I admire most about Lynch's work is that it has re-watchability. At least for me it does..I know some find his work boring and slow.

Every new viewing brings new clues and new interpretations to the Lynch puzzleverse.

It has been speculated and demonstrated that one of the big keys to TP: The Return is synchronization of episode viewings. Indeed, as one of the themes in this season has hinted at time travel and cause and effect, it isn't surprising that segments and episodes might sync together in interesting ways.

I first heard of this theory with the 2-parter finale, which was deliberately broken into 2 distinct parts, rather than presented as a double length finale.

Unfortunately, I am not able to view on multiple devices to experiment for myself.

Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz eat your heart out!

Let's revisit with new eyes!

Let me know if you find anything interesting

edit on 1-4-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
I'm revisiting Twin Peaks, all 3 incarnations.

One of the things I admire most about Lynch's work is that it has re-watchability. At least for me it does..I know some find his work boring and slow.

Every new viewing brings new clues and new interpretations to the Lynch puzzleverse.

It has been speculated and demonstrated that one of the big keys to TP: The Return is synchronization of episode viewings. Indeed, as one of the themes in this season has hinted at time travel and cause and effect, it isn't surprising that segments and episodes might sync together in interesting ways.

I first heard of this theory with the 2-parter finale, which was deliberately broken into 2 distinct parts, rather than presented as a double length finale.

Unfortunately, I am not able to view on multiple devices to experiment for myself.

Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz eat your heart out!

Let's revisit with new eyes!

Let me know if you find anything interesting

It took awhile 1St time 'round to get who killed Laura Palmer... I knew I was right tho.

You can't touch the 1St original series... Dark, moody, off-kilter.. But one of the best..

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Twin peaks is top 5 favorite on my list. The first few episodes do drag on a bit, but it's necessary and worth it.

Dry Humor+mystery+sci-fi= epic win. It is a show with a genre of it's own.

Two things that annoyed me: what happened with the leo/spider situation and Audrey/bomb situation!?!? I HATE loose ends...

ETA: watch twin peaks. First two seasons still on netflix. You'll like it.
edit on 1-4-2018 by seaswine because: Facts

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
watching TPS3 really made Fire Walk With Me make a lot more sense.

never did explain what happened to Chester Desmond though.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
watching TPS3 really made Fire Walk With Me make a lot more sense.

never did explain what happened to Chester Desmond though.

Ohhh that's reason enough for a 4th

posted on Apr, 9 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I have to say, I never got into it back when it was a thing.... Just seemed too weird at the time.

About a year ago though, my wife and I watched it as a lark, and we were hooked. We binge-watched all of it. Then the movie.

Oddly enough, then (like just a month or two after we saw the movie) they came out with another season of the series. Eerily, even though 25 yrs later, it was like the same thing, continued. Just....amazing. The continuity was...wow.

If you never gave it a chance, HIGHLY recommended. It was easily one of the best series to binge that we've ever seen. It is weird, and sometimes gets really weird, but it's just so quirky and innocently weird, that it's just a unique TV experience.
edit on 9-4-2018 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Being able to grow up with the first 2 seasons was awesome. The movie was great as well.

Season 3 had it moments. the whole dougie thing lasted a little too long.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Is the show a drama or does it have some SciFi aspect to it?

Not much into dramas or scifi shows that try to act like scifi but are really 95% drama (looking at you walking dead) .

However, I'm looking for something new to watch

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Twin Peaks is Twin Peaks. That's all you're going to get.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Ahh come on, throw a bone.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

Which series do you intend to watch?

The original run, or the 'return?'

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Which ever one has some scifi aspect to it. If I remember correctly I read that it was a scifi series , but then I watched an episode and it didn't appear to be ? don't recall if it was the original or the return that I watched?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Which ever one has some scifi aspect to it. If I remember correctly I read that it was a scifi series , but then I watched an episode and it didn't appear to be ? don't recall if it was the original or the return that I watched?

It has many flavors, but is also somewhat indefinable. Have you seen a few David Lynch movies?

One of the interesting things about The Return, is that it was a collage of the art and direction styles and subject matters he presented throughout his career--think of it as a 'greatest hits' album. I really think it is the crowning achievement to his body of film and art.

It is simply a David Lynch series. It has elements of sci-fi, mystery, paranormal, horror etc. but it also changes gears and has quirky moments, romance both cheesy and endearing. It's just a whole grab bag of the David Lynch universe.

It is not a series that has been cherry-picked and test-audience approved (in fact, much of the first season parodies soap operas and water-cooler type drama shows.)

It is David Lynch having the freedom to do what he wants while behind the camera. Some love it, some hate it.

edit on 2-8-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

It has many flavors, but is also somewhat indefinable

Gotcha, I'm looking for more of the scifi aspect so which you recommend to start with ?

in fact, much of the first season parodies soap operas and water-cooler type drama shows

I don't mind parodies as short skits , but not so much for tv series. That is probably why I gave it up quickly and didn't see the big deal about it, especially not really being aware of him or his style.

Is it a series that I could start with season 2 or would I lose to much about the characters and the series in general?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Is it a series that I could start with season 2 or would I lose to much about the characters and the series in general?

Hard to say.

If you have access to the Lynch directed film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, I would start there. It is kind of a prequel/ sequel/ standalone feature. But there is a lot to get out of it.

Try blasting through the first season and see how it goes. You can start with The Return, but be warned that you don't get an introduction to who, what, where, why, how etc.

In reality, many fans are split between the different incarnations of Twin Peaks. I find them all enriching and they fit together well.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Great , thank I will give Fire Walk With Me a try.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Great , thank I will give Fire Walk With Me a try.

Just keep in mind it's not the kind of movie you watch with Grandma

top topics

join