It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where will China Expand???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
There has been lots of talk on ATS about the need for China to expand in the coming years. Where exactly does everyone think they will expand to (Excluding Taiwan)???

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I was never a great geography student, but isn't the teritory north of China mongolia?

If so, this area seperates China and Russia, and would be a natural area for them to look to, as well as north korea

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Mongolia's not much else other than a huge desert that makes a nice little buffer. The only two logical expansion areas are to the south in Vietnam and Cambodia. Or they could expand into Korea. Siberia's a possiblity but thats probably their last choice. It's generally not a good idea to try invading Russia.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If Mongolia is just desert then thats perfect. What more could they ask for than a big open plain to build on then over populate!!!

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
China is already expanding thou econmics look where the Tshrit on your back is made. China will go to war with Tawian its only a matter of time. When war breakes out I hope the USA nukes China to put an end to the war quickly.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
For some crazy reason, I don't think nuking China is such a good idea. I don't know it might be because, China has nukes too.

Anyhow Mongolia isn't the best place for expansion. Desert generally isn't compatible with farming. And as we all know it takes a lot of farmland to feed over 1 billion people.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Since we are talking about Mongolia.

Just a little bit of history.

Mongolia was part of China even as recently as the "Chinese Republic" days of Dr Sun-yat Sen. (Just after the collapse of the Qing dynasty)

Qing Dynasty Map

Encarta link

The reason why it is now separate is because of Joseph Stalin. He made the promise of fighting the Japanese to Mao Zedong on the condition of Mongolia becoming independent. (Reason was simple, Russian tanks would drive over Mongolia to Beijing much easily if the need were to arise)

The very fact that this deal was made by Mao Zedong means that it was not recognised by the Nationalists or the Kuomintang. To this day, Taiwan claims Mongolia as part of it's "Republic of China".

-----

Just pointing this out, because alot of you Americans probably don't learn about this type of history.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
China will continue to expand economically and demographically to every corner of the globe, as has been done for hundreds of years.

Adjacent territories are but a tasty morsel.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
China owns more US Tbills than anyone could imagine.

Read it now all you grass hoppers!!!!!!

The US should offer China free expansion, N. Korea and our support there of in exchange for Taiwan independence.

GW hire me!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaganwasourgreatest
China owns more US Tbills than anyone could imagine.

Actually, China owns half the amount of Tbills that Japan has.

GW hire me!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not rule that possibility out...

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaganwasourgreatest
The US should offer China free expansion, N. Korea and our support there of in exchange for Taiwan independence.

Taiwan isn't worth letting the Chinese allow our corporations to screw the American public. Anyhow I'm thinking that Vietnam and Cambodia are the most likely expansion zones. The Korean peninsula is pretty controversial so war could possibly break out with the US. Vietnam and Cambodia on the other hand don't have any huge allies.

Of course, this isn't mentioning Taiwan, and Taiwan is just pushing their luck. Too bad that invasion is inevitable.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Why does anyone imagine China is in the least bit interested in anything other than China's own historical territories?
(......and yes, of course that includes Taiwan.)

As for Vietnam and Cambodia?

They went there not that long ago to quell the civil wars on their doorstep and went home again after deciding they were simply taking casualties and doing no real good for the situation at all.

So, where's this 'evidence' for an expansionist China in any real and meaningful sense then?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I don't think China is looking to expand its borders. Only reclaim territories they lost due to the "Century of Humiliation". This is the will of the Chinese people not the government. But of course there is an advantage that the government sees in reclaiming Taiwan. Its not the Taiwanese economy or infrastructure they want. They want the territory so they can project their power across the Pacific. Basically the island is a fuelling station for their jets and ships.

new topics

top topics

join