It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What IS going on... (deletion of IDs, accounts)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
A couple months ago, I utterly forgot to pay my cable bill, thanks to their website being weird. I finally got to do it- and found out my account was *gone*. Tech support acted like it was my fault it disappeared.
I growled about their incompetence, and forgot about it for the most part.

This past week- Wife had an account at a local Y for our kid's after school program go up in smoke, and then, yesterday- her work ID also went *pouf*. Now that, is a good reason to get weirded out. Once is a glitch, twice is kinda weird, and 3 times, with 3 different places makes my spidey sense sit up and take notice.

Anyone else been going thru this?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: wylekat

I don't have any experience with ID for various parts of my life going the way of the Dodo.

But I will say this... the fact that your user information for totally separate parts of your life and that of your wife and kids, are all affected is either a gigantic, improbable coincidence, or evidence that something specific and potentially unpleasant is going on. Change your bank card details, check your accounts for missing funds or payments you do not recognise. Have your wife do the same. If this keeps happening, if anything else goes away that should not have, you might want to get put in touch with whatever passes for a local cyber crimes unit in your area, and have a word with them.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
As an owner of a subscriber based business, I cringe at your not paying your bill on time..

Work ID's go poof all the time. The tech behind them is archaic mostly.

The Y ... from Inactivity.

Your web id..you forgot the user name and email used to set the account up.

link   
As an owner of a subscriber based business, I cringe at your not paying your bill on time..

link   
dbl

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

A Mandela effect took place and you don't exist in this parallel universe. Your ATS account is next.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I do *not* believe in coincidences. Too much s**t has happened in my life to not give anything like this the stink eye.

I also keep up with our bank accounts, and (as much as I hate it) The fraud unit of the credit union we are with scream and shut down the account for *any* weird activity- to the point making out of the country purchases with reputable companies is now an annoyance at best.

Also- found out that at her work at least- *no one* knows what the hell happened, and she had to redo everything from scratch.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

A Mandela effect took place and you don't exist in this parallel universe. Your ATS account is next.

After my one, truly mind boggling ME- I wouldn't doubt it.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

After a week of trying, other stuff came up (like kid bringing home Noroviruses 1 and 2), and the chaos of life got in the way as well. I almost always have paid my bills on time (having crap come up happens from time to time), and finding out my account was gone set my teeth on edge- dealing with their tech person didn't help one bit- but at that time, I dismissed it as some doofus wiped me out. My only thought on the matter was "how in the #&$*%*!! do they manage to stay in business?!"

If it was *just* the work ID, that's one thing. Or just the Y (which, our account is in good standing, and it's a weekly thing), I have no problem going on about the joys of computers, and the idiots who beat on them with rocks.

This... the timing made my eyebrows go up, wife is kinda freaked out too.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
People will always blame it initially on the person if their technology screws up. They falsly believe that computers do not make mistakes. Often it is the person creating the program or someone inputting information into the account that cause these problems to occur. When they switch a computer program over to a new one to do the billing and accounts, often there are messups. I have seen that happen many times, knowing people who have seen this happening in their workplace. Stuff does not switch over to the new program properly sometimes, it creates a nightmare when new and improved programs are bought, the workers hate having to learn how to use the new programs. Often the patches are so extensive on the new software, they decide to get a new software program and start all over again. New and improved does not mean it is better, just raises the price of technology and this is passed on to the customer in their charges.

Technology has gone way out of line with reality. People falsely believe it is better because it is new. Many people want to justify their purchase and believe in something that is not true.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

The person gets the blame when the tech person acts like it's my fault the info went away. I'm in this weird love/ hate relationship with technology, myself. There are a lot of times that when I don't have to put my tech online, I get the most and best use out of it- phones, tablets, computers, etc. Phones and tablets especially. If I don't have to so much as turn on the phone signal (Airplane mode is a fave), I get roaring performance and great battery life. *MINUTE* I have to get online- it all goes to hell, and I have to keep from pitching my phone or tablet across a room because of (mostly) internet.

Placing blame on a person is justified, BTW. A person made the hardware, and a person wrote the programs, so someone's gonna get their butt kicked if it crashes and burns. A person's greed is what causes adware, malware, and most internet crap to clog up performance of tech, too.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   

And that is why I suggested getting in touch with cyber crimes, or nearest approximation thereof. The bank account access stuff needs changed, not because someone could necessarily be thieving from you, but they might use what data they can see, to find ways to mess with you. If this is some sort of malicious hacker type situation, they might prefer to cause you problems, than to spend your money. To be able to switch off parts of your life like this, whatever might be responsible, could have potent code at their disposal, perhaps have access to systems penetration techniques which are as yet unknown to the security trade and the software and hardware developers who create programs and the systems that run them.

It could be nothing at all, but if its something, its deeply wackadoo.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

No kidding- and wife's card was changed recently (Nov). So far, it's been me 1, her 2.

My next question is WHY. I am an unimportant, poor nobody that has nothing of value, even less of interest, and really- we have got nothing anyone would really want.

And yet, with all that has been happening to me the past few years, I now gotta wonder WTH hell is going on in whoever's mind when they are doing this crap. Or are they trying to prime me into a homicidal, tinfoil hat wearing lunatic? That's a little like sticking a rocket launcher on a lawnmower and dumping it down a mine shaft. Stupid, weird, and really useless.

Or... should I get that DNA test I keep blathering on about....

edit on 22-3-2018 by wylekat because: Distracted, lost some words

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I agree. Its pointless to go after some random person, with no particular resources or connections. But just because a person is smart enough to abuse data systems, does not mean that they are sane enough to do it in a logical manner, or to select targets for abuse in a logical manner either.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
um! sorrry but!
it sounds like they ARE out to get you.
some one is hacking you OUT!
do you know any one in goverment?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Short term interest rates have been climbing recently and there have been a lot of sign up bonuses for money market/savings/CD accounts with a minimum 6 month obligation. If you lock up your savings in a CD for a year or so and you don't have the luxury of enough savings to diversify, why keep old accounts open charging brokerage or minimum balance fees?
edit on 22-3-2018 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Happened to me when my bank changed my account numbers for security reasons. Then everything falls apart. My ISP can't collect payment for my website. That gets wiped even though the server account was restored.

New debit/credit cards didn't arrive. Had to live off spare change to do my shopping. I have to dig out the sort-code and account number for my property agency. Complete chaos.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: buddha
um! sorrry but!
it sounds like they ARE out to get you.
some one is hacking you OUT!
do you know any one in goverment?

No- but I'm sure I've pissed someone off at some point. I got at least one full on winner for sure- but she shouldn't know *anything*. (yeah, right...)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I remember a few years back, when I was practicing my WiFi hacking skills. I just drove around looking for poorly secured WiFi. Just out of curiosity to see if I could. I didn't have any nefarious purpose, but the "victims" were completely random.
This is the point that a quote from You fits in nicely -
"just because a person is smart enough to abuse data systems, does not mean that they are sane enough to do it in a logical manner, or to select targets for abuse in a logical manner either."

So, yeah, it all could be completely random. Or not. As Wylekat writes further down this thread -
"I'm sure I've pissed someone off at some point. I got at least one full on winner for sure- but she shouldn't know *anything*."

Anyway, be safe!

top topics

join