It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy (Astrological) New Year!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well, technically the equinox was yesterday, but it can and often does occur on the 21st of March as well. Plus, better late than never right?

The concept of when the "new year" is varies upon cultures around the world; the January 1st new year that we have adopted in the West comes from the Gregorian calendar, but several cultures acknowledge the beginning of the year with the spring equinox.

Babylonian New Year began with the first New Moon after the Northward equinox. Ancient celebrations lasted for eleven days.[3]

The Iranian New Year, called Nowruz, is the day containing the exact moment of the Northward equinox, which usually occurs on March 20 or 21, marking the start of the spring season. The Zoroastrian New Year coincides with the Iranian New Year of Nowruz and is celebrated by the Parsis in India and by Zoroastrians and Persians across the world. In the Bahá'í calendar, the new year occurs on the vernal equinox on March 20 or 21, and is called Naw-Rúz.

The Balinese New Year, based on the Saka Calendar (Balinese-Javanese Calendar), is called Nyepi, and it falls on Bali's Lunar New Year (around March).

The Thelemic New Year on March 20 (or on April 8 by some accounts) is usually celebrated with an invocation to Ra-Hoor-Khuit, commemorating the beginning of the New Aeon in 1904.

wikipedia source

This honestly makes much more sense anyways, and I think that pope Gregory was just trying to throw the world off it's rocker when he came up with his calendar (the Ethiopion and Mayan calanders are far more superior and accurate). Think about it; spring time is about new beginnings, the beginning of the growing season; it's when everything comes to life. On January 1st, everything is still "dead" and gray, from being the middle of winter, and, intuitively, it just doesn't feel like the beginning of a new year to me. So, for me, this is my new year, a fresh start, a clean slate, for me to reinvent and redefine my self.

If your familiar with astrology, you also know that the sign of Aries, which the sun enters on the Equinox, is the first sign of the twelve signs, as even the astrologers regarded the equinox as the beginning of the new year. Aries energy deals with everything I described in the previous paragraph (new beginnings, optimism, etc).

Aries is all about beginnings. This is the sign of the pioneer, the entrepreneur, the self-starter.

There's a pungent smell of possibility in the air and it lingers. Everything old has been washed away and we're busy planting seeds of new beginnings everywhere (along with our flower and vegetable gardens).

Interesting read about Astrological New Year

So, ATS'ers, cheers to a happy new year! This ones going to be the best one yet for me! I wish you all luck, success, and I hope you all crush whatever goals you have set!

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well thanks dude. Back at ya.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: sekerofknowlege
...and I think that pope Gregory was just trying to throw the world off it's rocker when he came up with his calendar...

His calendar was based on the older Julian Calendar.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

...and I think that pope Gregory was just trying to throw the world off it's rocker when he came up with his calendar...

His calendar was based on the older Julian Calendar.

Did his successor have anything to do with that?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

No, Uncle Gaius got that handled all by himself.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   

If your familiar with astrology, you also know that the sign of Aries, which the sun enters on the Equinox, is the first sign of the thirteen signs (...)

Fixed it for you.

Semi-jocularity aside, new year's best wishes to you as well!

new topics

top topics

join