It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The College Dream About to Burst?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: lakenheath24

what they need to do is limit loans to only valuable courses no money for stuff like public speaking and the like instead focus on sciences, mathmatics, engineering , medicine. we waste to much money helping kids get worthless degrees.
was going to take a class at local college years ago and one of the courses was ebonics i got up and walked out.

Are you saying that it doesn't benefit society to have people that know how to speak, how to write, understand history, know how politics work, understand concepts like socioeconomic status, and more?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: LaitModelFan
I personally am appalled of the thoughts and beliefs of the proffessors and teachers at the schools and universities. Not only do I disagree with them I find it hard to pay a ton of money to send my kids to listen to them. I hope they do attend college with the mindset to obtain the knowledge without the extracurricular beliefs of the teachers. I wonder what percentage of college staffs are far left and trying to push it on young people.

In my most recent degree, I spent 4 years with the same group of professors learning the material. Many classes involved political discussions between students. After having finished the program, I still don't have the slightest clue as to the political leanings of any of those instructors.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982
Well, yeah, I did. But the help didn't even come close to being enough to avoid hefty student loans. I'm already in debt for my house, my car and my motorcycle. There's no way a student loan would be doable.

Maybe you shouldn't have gone into debt then?

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth
Universities were originally set up for strictly higher learning, if someone wanted a career they apprenticed under a master in the field of choice.

Education and job training are not the same thing, all too often the low educated crowd (the types that never would have made it into college in the 50's) want them to be the same, so that they can claim to be educated because they learned a specific job.

In an ideal world, universities would not have a job training component. But, the addition of them has made it easier for many to get into the fields they want to get into.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Hard sciences tend to be less concerned about school rankings. My point though is that most schools are not worth the massive tuition bills. It is one thing to pay $60k/yr to attend say Stanford with excellent job prospects at graduation vs $50k at say a fourth tier school. If you are going to pay a lot to attend, it needs to be a top tier school IMHO. This is why I said there are really only about 50 schools that are considered prestigious and worth going into debt to attend.

The school loan system has allowed bottom tier schools to charge top tier tuition, but the ROI is not the same for most students.

This I do agree with. Maybe not the least expensive school (though, that's the route I took) but a less expensive one with the major you want is a good plan. Also, something many don't consider is that tuition is not your biggest expense as a student, cost of living is (outside of the extremely expensive universities). If you go to school in a lower cost area, your loan and scholarship dollars will go much further.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Star & flag

Yep, it has already crashed, so back about 2004, just before the big housing crash, high tech manufacturing was heading into a slump, meaning more and more of these corps/businesses were moving over seas; which i experienced over the course of about 20 years.

In a word-NAFTA, F****** us. Thx to Clinton and the Bush's administration

I'm one of the very few who have been through the 'retraining program' 3x to get a degree or assistance due to job being shipped over seas; due to living circumstances I opt'd out of the retraining process and trust my own abilities and experience to speak the loudest for me in establishing another career.

I also wasn't warm to "just sign here and you'll have a great start" (along with the huge debt I would have to endure and pay back or face sure consequences) as remembered the huge unemployment line I was just in yesterday...

In 2008, was my last full time job with Benefits, it has been 10 years and I've finally established a job with decent benefits-10 years! And it's not high tech, quite the opposite.

In my opinion, degrees now days are a scam, why, it's much like the housing crisis, once your in you can't get out.

You can't bankrupt a school loan....

Documentary to watch "inside job"

link   

Triple post 😠

edit on 19-5-2018 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

link   
Double post 😡

edit on 19-5-2018 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Apple university teach free public college courses? If I remember right, they were definitely bussiness courses...

As well as other universities as of 2-3 years ago, pretty sure i saw them posted on ARE 🤔

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

All jobs will move to where they are cheapest, the thing is though a factory worker has very little negotiating leverage. Therefore, it is not a good career choice. High tech manufacturers have a whole bunch of C level executives, and below them directors though that do have leverage. The R&D departments that dream up the devices the company builds also have a lot of leverage and that leverage more often than not translates to keeping those jobs in the US or other developed countries.

Manufacturing is not where you want to be, because those jobs are a dime a dozen... even the really high tech stuff where the factory guys have Masters degrees in STEM fields.

When you pick a career choice, pick something that has the potential to actually move up to a senior position. Otherwise you will find yourself out of work eventually.

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Apple university teach free public college courses? If I remember right, they were definitely bussiness courses...

As well as other universities as of 2-3 years ago, pretty sure i saw them posted on ARE 🤔

Many colleges have options to take classes at a reduced rate, if not outright free. The problem is that these classes usually aren't accredited. If it's not accredited it's not something you can put on your resume, prove, and have an easy and reliable standard that the course taught something useful. That's why websites like Coursera are doomed to failure. You might learn something, but it's not something you can put on the education section of your resume.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join