It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

any weird things you like to collect?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You come up with some fun threads TST.

For me, its hard to say I actively collect anything, but I have some collections all the same.

Pretty typical, but stamps, coins, and books are fun. Have some neat ones like first editions of the Tarzan series.

I love me some Funko Pop figures though.. Hard to say I "collect" them again, since I only get the ones I like.

Maybe guitars? I build, repair, and resell them. I've had some sold out from under me though, like a wonderful Dulcimer mastercrafted by my grandfather.

Music is another one, where I have trimmed down my collection DRAMATICALLY in the last decade, but still have ~5k albums.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: rickymouse

We found some weird tools buried in the dirt of the carriage house. ( garage now but still has carriage doors that open out. )
We were installing a concrete floor and needed to level the dirt floor. We just scraped the surface to smooth it out and found some small hand tools. An awl probably used to pierce leather and funny enough a small silver butter knife. Someone must have needed a screwdriver and couldn't find one lol. We found a small very thin wrench. Only one end has the wrench. Unlike the dual ended ones we have now.

It's kind of neat finding tools like that. I found some stone tools probably made by the indians a foot and a half under the ground. One is a sort of spade, looks the shape of a hand with a curve to it, one is a pick axe, and another looks like a wing and is probably a head of some sort of knife for cutting meats...mounting to a stick. From talking to the Indians they said the sharp point goes into a wood knot on the axe.. Another is for either cleaning hides or debarking trees. I do not know what the others are for sure, but I found them all under what appeared to be a layer of ask deep in the ground in a straight line. I guess the Indians actually still make stone tools like that in their traditional tool making. They said mine are not completely finished, they were under the fire for tempering, they sort of ting when you tap them. They also said they were not flaked yet or finish ground with a stone. I thought of doing that, but some are cracked probably from frost heaving of the ground and I do not think that they can be finished. It is hard to know how old, I do know how much ground was on top of them, but the Indians also buried some things too, using landmarks to find them. Probably at least three hundred years or more I would guess, but the Indians here now I talked to said that the style was not the same as their culture, and they have been here for more than six hundred year minimum. It was probably the people who were here before them according to a couple of the Indian keepers of the fire I know. The place I live on apparently was a ceremonial site from what I have uncovered, the indians visiting would have buried things here to create a history. I quit researching that but still bring my tools and findings to the conference of the archiological organization I belong to each year. They study diffusion-ism, my finds are most likely Native American in origin. But this same tool making was done all over europe, these would be considered diabase tools, made from soft rock here then tempered by fire.

I quit buying tools and mother nature gave me some so I would not feel depressed from not buying them anymore. My avatar is actually an ancient carved piece of marrow bone from a very very large animal, turned to stone either before or after it was carved. Permineralized, not fossilized. Definitely over five hundred years old if it was bone when carved, it takes that long to permineralize in clay soils.

What was that shed of yours used for in the past, you say carriage house, how old is that building?

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Unattended children.

I collect abandoned domestic animals, mostly rabbits dumped in local parks. Over the past few years I've found homes for roughly 30 bunnies, and have 3 adults and one new baby (found 2 weeks ago nearly frozen to death under a shipping container) living the "American Dream" at my place. I can understand dumping children, but pets?

I also collect vintage sci-fi books and movies.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
A few odd things the wife and I collect.

Me, I collect dragon items, like figurines, etc. My wife, unicorns of the same.

We both collect boardgames, the older the better.

We collect a lot of old RPG books, like even the first iterations of Dungeons & Dragons, etc.

We collect ancient weapons, like swords, maces, etc.

I like to collect old hand tools, like manual drills, etc. (and when the zombies come, I'm good).

We both seem to collect animals...lol. We're on 5 and a half acres, and have a big house, so lots of room, but cats, dogs, horses, bunnies, chickens, and she wants to get goats...

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
I can understand dumping children, but pets?

Not a fan of people who abandon either.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Hats. I like Hats.

PS. I'm balding.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
You know those odd, single shoes on the side of the road?
I have a large box of those, each marked with date and location.
Oh, and the skulls of my enemies.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

ever found a foot stil in the shoe ?

i check them in the UK regularly - but never found a foot yet - i leave the shoe in-situ

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

No, but the thought has crossed my mind.
Is this phenomenon some sort of "calling card?"

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
A couple months ago I started collecting these weird new decentralized, unforgeable, deflationary, digital codes connected to this new weird giant world wide machine that allows people from anywhere to instantly communicate or conduct commerce with each other.
The whole world relies on this machine now. Almost all business and all communication in the world rely on this machine, if it were to shut off, the world would never be the same.
these digital codes are connected to this machine in a way that if it were to partially shut off all the information would be stored on another part of the machine. These valuable digital codes can only be erased if the entire machine that powers the world was shut off forever.
Some people now trade these digital codes for other digital codes they think will be more valuable. Some trade them for apartments in Dubai. Some people are using these digital codes in disaster struck areas to help rebuild the infrastructure the government refuses to rebuild. Some people use these codes to buy other machines they drive to different places to show off their wealth...
Some people think that the only way to save the world from the rusty old evil machine that controls the wealth is to use these digital codes on this new machine so when the old machine breaks down the new digital codes and new machine can help out. Some people just use the new digital codes on the machine to make more wealth and don't even realize these codes might one day save a lot people. Some people HATE the digital codes because they are a threat to their old rusty machines that create insecure, centralized, forgeable, old digital codes and easily forgeable paper and wasteful, heavy, metal to store wealth.
I'm hoping some of my codes become collectors items one day and I can use them to buy a spaceship!
It's a crazy concept I tell ya!

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
hello..new here and seen this post..i dont think i collect any thing weird..but i do collect coca~cola things..i also when i have a 20 oz. bottle i cut them off as well...so i guess thats weird..and i also collect miniature books..seem i cant even read as they are so tiny written..i hope thats weird enough

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join