It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old sayings - 'When I was your age I had to walk ten...'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I remember some of the things my grandparrents used to sday.

But one day, one of my uncles muttered the following sentence:

"Yeah, we are going to fix the economy by putting floor wax in our mouths, and rocks in our pockets."

Or something to that extent.

At the time I could not properly understand what he meant by this. Why would you put floor wax in your mouth? I could understand rocks in my pocket because I used to collect interesting rocks all of the time.

But it was not until I tried to google this saying that I noticed it was missing from the internet. Or maybe I am just saying it wrong... or maybe the key words are just not that popular.

So fast forward from my early days to where I am now and I can finally understand what my uncle meant by this utterance.

We are going to fix the economy-
That is the flow of money in our country because it was up in question as to how it worked exactly at the time.
-by putting floor wax in our mouths,-
Generally speaking about buying snake oils, or just randomly named bottles of liquid to solve a problem, except it is only another example of the placebo effect. But in this utterance, it is referring to Listerine.
-and putting rocks in our pockets.
One word: Diamonds.

Now that I am older and I have become a bit more interested in how our economy actually works... it is intrinsically deceitful and endlessly confusing.

When it comes to macro and micro economics I FAIL to understand it. Even a little bit. Like the best example I can give is that each and every person on this planet is nothing more than a filter. Money is what we are filtering/moving. And corporations are nothing more than a filter, but at the same time a taker. Like a cup that is also a flask, or jug. So that it may fill up other cups, or jugs for that matter. The reason why this saying: "We are going to fix our economy by putting floor wax in our mouths, and rocks in our pockets." is said in such a negative manner is because we simply began to accept a lie... or snake oils in our country to be sold. People buy them. Just like my own mother bought those stupid ear candles when I had a severe ear infection. The problem was that I was not a dumbass who would fall for such a stupid trick because I could still feel absolutely NO DIFFERENCE after a stupid ear candle burned. Then after my mom wasted 4 of them on one of my ears she finally "woke up."

Anyway. I can understand why this is such a negative thing because I am a lot older now and I have no need for floor wax, just tooth paste. and I have no need of a diamond because it is just a rock. No matter what it signifies, it is nothing but horse # to me.

But the economy needed money to be moved. in a strange way it created our "market" and even broadened "classes" of people. Simply by allowing the sale of dumb things to stupid people we allowed money to travel to different brands. Much like a weed receiving water after months of drought.

But the person who was so negatively judging the system could not understand what was brought about the confusion. Moving around this money allowed people to focus on something in almost any particular field. It has created ideas, sparked imagination in people. In fact the last 200 years has really gone wild in terms of advancement and engineering. Whether it is cheating, or helpful it has been created.

But can it be tamed is the question I ask now. We have been so wild with our economy that now we seem to be choking it out. Things that were once a luxury are now common place. Having the edge over someone now a days is all dried up. which summed up the intention my uncle had when he originally uttered this to my parents in an argument over political differences. He saw it creating an absurdity. An anomaly in our country and he did not like it. He Believed it would only bring about chaos in the end. How ludicrous it would be years from now. I can begin to see what his original end game to the world was going to look like and now I fear it has already consumed us all.

It is not singularity. It is not all of us having the same conclusions, the same reactions, or the same theories.

it is incoherence. While I am still to this day putting everything together to try and make a good supportive argument as to how we are becoming more and more incoherent, the harder it is to maintain focus on any particular area.

Now the reason why I put this saying up is because I tried to search it on google today, and I can not find out where this utterance comes from. Maybe there is something more behind this utterance other than the connection to Listerine once being advertised as a floor cleaner, and diamonds beginning to rise in popularity as a symbol of "boundless love."

What saying do you remember someone uttering that you can't find the complete answer to?

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I love you.

*you made my **** list btw.
edit on 2/28/2018 by mockingmay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
"An otter ain't got an ass like a beaver."
Never quite figured that one out.
edit on 28-2-2018 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   
If you give a rock, a diamond, value, then people think they are rich and then they spend more of the money since they have something valuable. A diamond only has value to those who desire it. It is based on belief, not reality. Gold is one of the most worthless of metals, yet it is valuable, they chose something rare to give value to so certain people could control us.

Diamonds had hardly any value a hundred fifty years ago. Stuff like Rubies and opals were valuable. Then someone who had access to diamonds started promoting them and made them valuable. Actually no stone actually has any value. We gave them value. We build things out of iron, that should be more valuable, it is expensive to mine and process. Copper is a good metal to use and it's price should be a little higher. Silver has a value of about what it should have. But gold, that should only be about forty bucks an ounce tops. That is all it is worth.

They seem to try to make something worthless valuable in this time, and keep the value of necessary things low so those farming do not get rich. The ones controling deceit get rich, not the workers or even most small businesses who's owners work their tail off for long hours and high costs and financial risk.

Make something worth nothing valuable and desireable. Promoting waste and deception so people think they are rich owning a bunch of worthless crap.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You can't eat gold or diamonds.
A hungry man would trade all the gold and diamonds in the world for a banana.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
a reply to: rickymouse

You can't eat gold or diamonds.
A hungry man would trade all the gold and diamonds in the world for a banana.

I'd rather have a potato.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I remember them sayings.

edit on 28-2-2018 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I remember my mom saying this to me when I introduced her to my first wife the day I told her we were getting married. My mom said " Remember that when she's 40 she's gonna look just like her mother, you need to go take along look at that girls moma".

Only thing my dad ever said and repeated was this......"Drink you're milk Hoss, it'll put lead in you're pencil"......I still drink milk, everyday.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

Well. . . you can't eat soup with a fork!

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Godfrey does great impression of his Fajah.

posted on Feb, 28 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

A willing person who does not know how does more than an unwilling person who knows how but does not.

edit on 2 28 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

join