It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My House just shook like a good one Gloucester UK 4.7 mag

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm down in the South West. I didn't feel anything. I think I'm too far down anyway.
I've never felt an earthquake, and I hope I never have to.
It's rare we get them in England though.

EDIT: It was in my part of the country but I didn't feel anything.
edit on Sat, 17 Feb 2018 09:38:12 -0600091822018000000k by rhynouk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
British Geological Survey readout of the quake.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Britain actually gets hit quite often, by quakes that is. Most of them, the vast majority, are far too weak to be felt, leave alone do any actual damage. However, the strongest seismic activity this country has had since records of such things began, was in 1931 and had a measurement of 6.1 on the relevant scale.

Other notable events can be found in British history for quakes, but obviously we never get anything absolutely ruinous. That being said, its rumoured that we are over due a "big" (geological context is important here) shunt here, so maybe something like this is just a precursor?

In any case, it very probably was a quake, but its no reason to expect the end of the world... However, if you have an emergency kit bag, might be wise to make sure its got a hard hat in it

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Today 17th February, I just experienced my 3rd UK earthquake.
The house shook like a good one I have to say.
Can't find anything on UK seismic sites.......can anyone help please as friends felt it about 10 miles away.
Thank you

Rainbows
Jane

If you are near the ocean, check if waters retreated. ASAP.

It was a 4.7, that's nothing. I live in So Cali, and it would take at least a 7 to issue a tsunami warning.

Usually, it takes an earthquake with a Richter magnitude exceeding 7.5 to produce a destructive tsunami. Most tsunamis are generated by shallow, great earthquakes at subductions zones. More than 80% of the world's tsunamis occur in the Pacific along its Ring of Fire subduction zones.

itic.ioc-unesco.org...

edit on 17-2-2018 by kurthall because: fix

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Zero chance.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Slept through it haha.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

It was a 4.7, that's nothing. I live in So Cali, and it would take at least a 7 to issue a tsunami warning.

That's because we don't live on a fault line , although not rare 4.7 is quite strong for our little island.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
What about that fracking theory?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Could this also have anything to do with the sun ive heard that earthquakes and the sun is conected and last night we were able to apparantly see the northern lights here in the uk (i didnt see anything) could it be linked

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Wolfieo26

I don't think there is any scientific evidence linking Earthquakes to Solar activity so I doubt today's Earthquake is connected.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I dunno about EQ, any "Fracking" going on there?

goog le results

You beat me to the punch. The difference being my version would have been sarcastic...instead of literal.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

As far as I am aware, there is no fracking gong on in dem hills

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
My apologies i got mistaken with the lights seen before earthquakes in the sky sorry regards Dean a reply to: gortex

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Wolfieo26

No problem mate , yeah Earthlights are a curious phenomenon , I believe there's a theory they may be something to do with quartz in the local rocks.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Oh the Humanity.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: gortex

Lot of old mines in that area....so anybody's guess as to what caused it

Rainbows
Jane

10km is a very shallow depth.....but it's not old welsh mine shaft shallow. If any mines got to that depth then the Welsh are really dwarves!

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Looks like it didn't go much farther west than Wales,I never felt a thing though

The epicentre was approximately 20km north-north-east of Swansea and at a depth of 7.4km, (BBC)

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Probably a DUMB getting smoked out

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: kurthall

That's because we don't live on a fault line , although not rare 4.7 is quite strong for our little island.

I know Aberdeen felt an Earthquake from the North Sea back in the 1980's. It was a sudden sharp "bang" that was felt by every house in the city. Made every door and window frame rattle.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join