It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida shooting: School plans to tear down building where 17 people were killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Florida shooting: School plans to tear down building where 17 people were killed

Broward Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie told the South Florida Sun Sentinel that the district has proposed demolishing the building on campus where a former student allegedly opened fire earlier this week.

“Parents and students have resoundingly told me they can’t go back into that building regardless of what we do,” Mr Runcie said.
Lawmakers agree to destroy site of school carnage: ‘This building has to come down’

Students will never be returning to Building 12 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School again.

Florida legislators said Thursday they will provide the resources to help the Broward School District tear down Building 12, the site of the massacre that killed 17 students and teachers.

They want to build a new classroom space and replace the site of the murders with a memorial to honor the victims and their families.

“This building has to come down,” Sen. Bill Galvano, R-Bradenton, told the Miami Herald on Friday after visiting the school the day before. He said the horror was palpable.

Is it your opinion this is wise? Or will it only glorify the killing to a greater extent?

There are 'stories' floating around social media that the school was facing many lawsuits before the shooting. If I find anything I'll post it.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 08:45 PM
link   
And they will build a new one that looks like a prison. We are teaching our kids that the safest place to be is locked up.

I do think it is best to tear it down, otherwise there could be young people who are uneasy in the building and it may effect their learning.

edit on 16-2-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Knee jerk. They should at least hang the shooter there first.

Broward County has never been able to stay out of the news over the years.

edit on 16-2-2018 by Logarock because: n

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I believe they razed Sandy Hook too. It's a good idea. Some things are too painful to see.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

It's the wrong move. Not only did that guy kill 17 people he cost them millions. Considering he is still alive and demented we just gave him even bigger bragging rights.

More importantly than all that... What are we teaching those kids? What, tragedy strikes and you have to change everything? I understand it's terrible, but the facility is still perfectly good and useful.

I'm not sure how to express how I feel about the subject. Teach them to overcome, not to succumb.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Not the whole of the school, but that section being demolished is probably the most feasible. Then again it's probably connected to the main building. As where will the students transfer, as I believe that one was built to ease overcrowding. Would assume then to Coral Springs High Schools and or schools of choice though many of those H.S.'s are overcrowded. Some Broward schools had portables(single wide trailer school rooms) installed in the 90s when the area started growing like crazy(again), maybe a portable area away from the Building 12 area. Or build another building, which of course may take longer, outside of that area.
edit on 16-2-2018 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
And they will build a new one that looks like a prison. We are teaching our kids that the safest place to be is locked up.

I do think it is best to tear it down, otherwise there could be young people who are uneasy in the building and it may effect their learning.

That is exactly what it looks like, I was horrified to read some schools in the U. S already resemble prisons and I bet you are right about them getting kids used to being locked up....

Pretty scary implications.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Tearing down the school seems like the perfectly 2018 liberal thing to do. Blame guns and remove the school.

Attachments to objects over people. It’s the gun’s fault. The object of the school is too painful. So your class of 25 last week is going to be moved somewhere else but now it’s a class of 24, but that’s ok???

Adadting after a death is a part of life

On a side note,

What do you think the people who want the school gone, thinks should have happen to Manhattan?

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Stupid. A complete waste of taxpayer dollars.

Again, emotions taking precedence over logic.

Did I mention it's stupid?

It's stupid.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: filthyphilanthropist

It's the wrong move. Not only did that guy kill 17 people he cost them millions. Considering he is still alive and demented we just gave him even bigger bragging rights.

More importantly than all that... What are we teaching those kids? What, tragedy strikes and you have to change everything? I understand it's terrible, but the facility is still perfectly good and useful.

I'm not sure how to express how I feel about the subject. Teach them to overcome, not to succumb.

Yeah.

Why nobody repurposed Auschwitz is beyond me.
Plenty of good buildings. People just need to get over it.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I believe they razed Sandy Hook too. It's a good idea. Some things are too painful to see.

Too many clues too.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
Tearing down the school seems like the perfectly 2018 liberal thing to do. Blame guns and remove the school.

Attachments to objects over people. It’s the gun’s fault. The object of the school is too painful. So your class of 25 last week is going to be moved somewhere else but now it’s a class of 24, but that’s ok???

Adadting after a death is a part of life

On a side note,

What do you think the people who want the school gone, thinks should have happen to Manhattan?

If you are referring to the WTC buildings, a memorial and another goddamned building was constructed...

But they should have kept the smoking crater. Attachments to objects and all...

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Well,these days,most people aren't teaching their kids anything. That's part of why this is happening. Everyone wants to skirt around the main issues(bad parenting,mental health) and blame it solely on guns.

But otherwise I agree with you. It's going to affect these kids.So rebuilding may be best.
edit on 17-2-2018 by nightstalker78 because: error

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: nightstalker78

Well,these days,most people aren't teaching their kids anything. That's part of why this is happening. Everyone wants to skirt around the main issues(bad parenting,mental health) and blame it solely on guns.

But otherwise I agree with you. It's going to affect these kids.So rebuilding may be best.
The school here doesn't teach Homec anymore. No cooking or anything. The parents are both working to make ends meet, nobody is teaching the kids to cook or do anything around the house. I suppose since they can't cook it is good for making low paying jobs in the restaurants, delis, and fast food restaurants. So that is where our country is going to. Highly prepared foods that make people need medicines and that boosts the medical and pharmaceutical jobs too so everyone doesn't have to work at McDs or subway.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Knee jerk. They should at least hang the shooter there first.

Broward County has never been able to stay out of the news over the years.

Then give it a new coat of paint and a new name. I suggest The Tesla School of Technology.

But the first order of business is, hang the little prick in public.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
My mother and I talked about this just last week, when I went with her to pick my nephew up from school. It is a massive building with no windows in sight. I commented to my mother about how awful it must be to be locked in those buildings and not be able to see the world outside. I reminisced about my school days, in class, and being able to see out of the windows. Mother said, that it is to prevent distractions. I don't think it prevents distractions. Distractions still exist, they are just substituted and more controlled.

They remove the windows so children can't see the real world and replace it with the blue screens of a virtual world. Remove any connections in the real world with any history they want to control. Tear down monuments, remove artwork, tear down buildings, it is all about controlling the narrative, controlling our minds, and controlling our lives.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Yes it paints a very bleak picture for the future, part of me thinks these shootings are by design to get every school to resemble what you just described.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Windows are bad. Got to have the isolation affect for full brainwashing.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Just a great post and why ATS restores hope in humanity.

Most of the food in supermarkets......human poison.

new topics

top topics

join