It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some good music from a band you've never heard of

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Some good music, it almost defines today's political climate. Punk rock was predictive!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
Some good music, it almost defines today's political climate. Punk rock was predictive!

You call this punk music because it's labeled 'Punk Tastic' or you have some sense of what punk music? It's neither. FAIL. Brush up on what punk music is -- better yet what was punk.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

How bout you let us know what you think punk is? Because to me punk was a term of a time. That time has passed, so in that sense you could say that R&B was punk also. PUNK was and is an idea. The time and term will change but not the idea. Just because you don’t view something as punk does not mean that everyone does also.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat

You call this punk music because it's labeled 'Punk Tastic' or you have some sense of what punk music? It's neither. FAIL. Brush up on what punk music is -- better yet what was punk.

bro, that was the acoustic version. is this also not punk rock because it's acoustic?

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

How bout you let us know what you think punk is? Because to me punk was a term of a time. That time has passed, so in that sense you could say that R&B was punk also. PUNK was and is an idea. The time and term will change but not the idea. Just because you don’t view something as punk does not mean that everyone does also.

uuuh, ok...

this is punk. that music in the op is typical pop tripe.

And just for political climate reference, welcome to 1980, the lyrics:

So you been to school
For a year or two
And you know you've seen it all
In daddy's car
Thinkin' you'll go far
Back east your type don't crawl

Play ethnicky jazz
To parade your snazz
On your five grand stereo
Braggin' that you know
How the n!ggers feel cold
And the slums got so much soul

It's time to taste what you most fear
Right Guard will not help you here
Brace yourself, my dear
Brace yourself, my dear

It's a holiday in Cambodia
It's tough, kid, but it's life
Don't forget to pack a wife

You're a star-belly snitch
You suck like a leech
You want everyone to act like you
Kiss ass while you bitch
So you can get rich
But your boss gets richer off you

Well you'll work harder
With a gun in your back
For a bowl of rice a day
Slave for soldiers
'Til you starve
Then your head is skewered on a stake

Now you can go where people are one
Now you can go where they get things done
What you need, my son
What you need, my son

Is a holiday in Cambodia
Where people dress in black
Need a holiday in Cambodia
Where you'll kiss ass or crack

Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot
Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot, Pol Pot

Where you'll do what you're told
A holiday in Cambodia
Where the slums got so much soul

Pol Pot
edit on 16-2-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

emo music?

that's what punk has become?

smh

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Like I said, that was the acoustic version

this band would fall under the 2nd wave of punk style of music, they do have some 3rd wave type songs though.

DK songs are classic though, you blast them and everyone around looks at you funny while you look back giving zero fawks.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

emo music?

that's what punk has become?

smh

nofx is emo punk? since when?

You do know what acoustic vs live version is right?

Here is that same song from nofx

And here is the band from the op live

Are they punk now? If not

edit on 16-2-2018 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   

this band would fall under the 2nd wave of punk style of music, they do have some 3rd wave type songs though.

DK songs are classic though, you blast them and everyone around looks at you funny while you look back giving zero fawks.

Haha well that is true...

I just don't consider the other music punk.. blame the 80's.. where punks were real, and messy, and made sense..

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   

No offence man, but it's like greenday on speed to me.

the lyrics are not punk.

idk, I have no musical taste. I still listen to hatebreed.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I just don't consider the other music punk.. blame the 80's.. where punks were real, and messy, and made sense..

Yea, the hardcore punks caused the ska revolution, which definitely was not a bad thing.

Sucked being called a skinhead as a kid though, i wasn't, i was an anti-establishment punker 100%. Shave 90% of your head and leave the hair in the middle for a mohawk, ANTICHRIST!!!

I got that look a lot.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   
If I really have to beat my face against the air, this is the stuff..

and the lyrics of this are not about anger, but redemption. so nothing in lieu with the premise of punk, but picking yourself up from the ruins of a life spent lost.

Good thread tho mate !!
didn't mean to come across as a johnny downer.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   

No offence man, but it's like greenday on speed to me.

Bro, you need to look more into this whole punk thing, Greenday was punk before they sold out. Look up 1,039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, their first album. Pretty damn good.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Yea, the hardcore punks caused the ska revolution, which definitely was not a bad thing.

Sucked being called a skinhead as a kid though, i wasn't, i was an anti-establishment punker 100%. Shave 90% of your head and leave the hair in the middle for a mohawk, ANTICHRIST!!!

I got that look a lot.

Man !!! I was called a skinhead as a teen so many times, had idiots throw change at me when the bus drove off, called a 'klan member' just because I shaved my head. the music I listened to was nothing like the crap the likes of the skinheads listened to. I feel you on that one brother.

I wasn't brave enough to do a mohawk more than once. where I lived, you were either a surfey, or a bogan. if the two ever met, it was for some reason, a fight. I would have been attacked by all and sundry. lmao.

And I hated also, being associated with the racist skins at the time. so I just kept my hair long. Irony I think that now, decades later, I am going bald..

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:25 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:29 AM
link   

It's a bit how I feel listening to really old carcass. back when it was growl music. And the first time I heard fear factory, and all my mates loved (and I could never get in to) it was also the same.

Tell you what tho, I could never explain this Aussie band...

lol sorry I'm getting away from the point.. had a few this hot arvo...

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Every time I got on the 106 bus at 59th and Peoria to head down to 35th street to metrocenter mall, I played this song.

then i learned about sublime, and holy #e!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: coldkidc

That was the story of my life, and it too, is a hidden track.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I dig that one, I can imagine behind the earbud.. Or should I say headphones !! the rest of the world just went away, like, get out of my way.. Public transport music is always awesome like that !!

Here's another aussie band, I'd never heard of before a member here, Lysergic, posted it. It is not in any way a musicl masterpiece, but they apparently were old school punk before they.... aged.. lol

I think they kinda epitomise the Aussie slant on punk, or.. whatever they are doing lol.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join