It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coin toss now racist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Oh just stop.
Neither of us or the athletes involved know what these communities discussed.
I pointed put a heated political issue in america today "black athletes protesting the flag"
If any committee didn't take that possibility into account then they wouldn't be doing their job.

And don't pretend every group is not lumped together.
Trump voters.
Cops.
Blacks.
Feminists.
Gun owners.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Did he explain further how exactly the toss was "dishonorable"? in his estimation? Seems a bit of a daft thing to say without at least attempting to come up with an explanation...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:43 AM
link   

You are right on all fronts.

You could have made a very strong and convincing insight and introspection into why a (multi)gold medalist lost to a (single) bronze medal in... But you went with the coin toss racism angle... Setting the tone to remove any good discussion besides whites vs blacks... Clicks clicks clicks...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

I could have brought up how multiple white male athletes with multiple medals were not in the discussion either.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I recall that we went to an academic quiz bowl tournament qualifier back in high school and we ended tied at the end with another school. The tie breaker came down to a roll of a die in which each team was to choose a number and closest one wins. The other team foolishly choose six so I chose five for the simple 5/6 versus 1/6 chance of a win. No brainer naturally after knowing their choice. But I had already chose five because the odds were already there with 2, 3, 4 or 5 as the more likely outcome versus 1 or 6 with 2 and 5 as mid points between 1 and 6 (and 3 and 4 being the midpoints or the 2, 3, 4, 5 likely outcome).

So why 5 as my choice? I figured they would pick 3 using the same logic as I just explained with their expected outcome being a 2 or 4 and thus one away. I also expected 4 as the outcome and figured a tie (and a re-roll) but to have the advantage for the unlikely outcome of a 6. So five is the most logical choice (and anyone that played D&D would agree, especially if they figured the probable outcome of a 4). But when they said six, five became the obvious instant winning choice and I explained as such after the roll.

By now you want to know “What was the freaking outcome already?” 5 of course. We won by exact guess. Teammates were dumbfounded on how I confidently knew to pick 5. As I said, anyone that played D&D could have told you that.

edit on 15-2-2018 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

The true 50/50 chance.

Right, so what this boils down to is maths - probability and statistics is dishonorable because lady luck just wasn't on his side today.

Maths - let that sink in.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

having read the reportage from non-american sources [ IMHO less prone to partisanship ]

the opinion i form = mr davis is a pissed off little baby who has spat his dummy out because the committee did not vote him as flag carrier

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Cuz racism

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

The true 50/50 chance.

Right, so what this boils down to is maths - probability and statistics is dishonorable because lady luck just wasn't on his side today.

Maths - let that sink in.

It seems lady luck is a racist bitch

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Agreed on the broader point that the headline is dumb.

Disagreed with the latter point. Its a popularity contest, just like you said. Race may or may not enter into it. But to throw it out there like that....is inappropriate and fulfills a stereotype that is one of the wedges dividing our nation. "Its racist" being used against anything you don't like, whenever its not actually supported by real evidence, is lame and folks are sick of it.

Perhaps the attitude he expressed when he lost the coin toss is part of why he didn't win the popularity contest?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

in a coin toss, there's a 50% chance someone will be disappointed

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just one more reason most of humanity is headed straight to failsville. A friggin coin toss is racist. God help us all.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

There is the possibility that several of the committee's that choose the flag bearer were concerned with the recent NFL protests and didn't want to chance a black athlete dragging the flag around the arena.
Every action has a reaction but that's as you say, a complex issue.

That's very possible yes, and like you say, it's a complex issue.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with a coin toss being racist.

And yet we see people continuing to claim it was a racist coin, and being outraged, and getting lots of stars.

I despair of humanity sometimes, I really do.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I'm fairly certain he called the coin toss "dishonorable", not racist.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   

no - because he is a baby - who cannot accept that he is not entitled to the highest honour on the team

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I do not fail to see the irony in the situation.

Yet, you fail to see the foolishness in your thought process...

Here, allow me to spell it out for you:

Black American(s) are upset about not carrying the flag at the Olympics that represents their country but at the same time support black athletes that refuse to stand and respect the flag during the national anthem.

You don't respect it but want to carry it....

So, you lump all black Americans into the same box and paint everyone in that box as possessing same ideology and emotion—herd mentality.

My world just doesn't make sense anymore.

My world makes perfect sense. It's YOU who doesn't.

In saying that, I do not fail to see the irony in your post. Give your head a shake...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Has there been an investigation into Russian Collusion with the coin?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Involutionist

Trump voters are all racists.
Guns are evil. See multiple current threads.
Cops are all killers.

How many more examples of herd mentality do you Need?

Why are blacks so special?
They can deal with their stereotypes just like everyone else.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
No, not the coin, but the flipper is under scrutiny..

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
But why resort to something as antiquated and barbaric as a coin toss for a modern sporting event?

I propose that each athlete choose a cage-fighter (or even vice-versa - the fighter chooses the athlete), and the last man standing wins for that athlete.

Like McGregor vs. Mayweather, for example.

I mean that's something we've never seen!

PS. Alternatively make the athletes play musical chairs on the field to Bohemian Rhapsody. Now there's something we really haven't seen! And totally fair.
edit on 15-2-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join