It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching Olympics...Snowboarding

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Are you one of the guys that prefers the 1950s version of the Olympics?

Probably so cuz everybody today knows the nut grab always follows the Mctwist.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
All sports develop their own jargon.
I used to play a game in which one of the most desirable achievements was a "tripleton squop", and I was always being urged by my partner to "sit on" one of our opponents.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

i mean, you could just google it......

snowboarding is really not to difficult if your just trying to go slow and not fall on your ass.
but add in serious speed and going airborne and your asking for a cracked rib (been there done that) , throw tricks never before performed on top of all that and your flirting with serious injury. so out of respect for those who put themselves at such risk to compete for our country in the Olympic games, i choose not to mock the terms they've chosen to name the various stunts... after all they gotta call them something, only way to quantify the performances.

a reply to: ignorant_ape

well seeing as how the most important detail is merely degrees of rotation i guess they jumped the gun in assuming people had an elementary school level education to be able to understand that.

as for the terms unrelated to degrees of rotation, majority of them are decades old, as another poster mentioned they came from skateboarding and surfing, anyone with any actual interest in any of those sports typically doesnt mind learning them.

but for the sake of all those watching the Olympics i guess we should remove those terms and instead make them something more simple and understandable, easier to understand for minds that need such handicap..
edit on 14-2-2018 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

Don't be that guy.
He is obviously trying to be funny and has done so.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

sure sure, but anytime someone tries to be funny at the expense of something or someone theres always gotta be a dissenter. or else finer details may be overlooked.

and besides, believing some aspect of the sport is foolish (even if its just terminology) is discouraging to kids contemplating trying it.

perhaps thats the root of my resent for this. my father mocked skateboard trick names in the 90's. my brother copied him and did so as well in the 2000's so when i finally got my own skateboard in 2004, i wouldnt dare try any tricks around them, they clearly thought it was foolish.

and look i get now as an adult they were just having fun, but then as a kid, thats not how it comes across, small things like that can be discouraging

(i never have had a stomach for mockery(except as a return policy))

alright ill step off the soap box and let the mockery continue, enjoy.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
o.O I don't understand half the jargon in football, baseball or basket ball, or even golf for that matter, but I don't try to make fun of it. That's a fool's time-waste there.

BTW, curling is a better spectator sport. I suggest the Japanese team, they're...um...well let's be honest, nobody's paying any attention to the rules of the game, they're ogling the women. Even me. And I do actually like curling.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Joking aside, I totally get where you're coming from. We watched the men's halfpipe live and are fans of Shaun White, but the commentary was terrible. My partner even mentioned it...I couldn't answer her question save for the numbers meant degrees of rotation.

As someone who grew up reading Thrasher magazine (they actually had Thrasher[a skateboarding magazine] on the top shelf with the skin rags in my deep south town) and ordering decks, bearings, trucks and all sorts of other skateboarding gear and swag from California Cheap Skates, I thought I would have picked up the commentary jargon fairly quickly after the first few runs...nope. Even us, pesky whipper-snappers, felt the commentary was poorly articulated and delivered.

You're spot-on.

It was nice to see Shaun pull out the win on his 3rd and final run. Shaun seems to be a really good dude. Much like the guy I grew up wanting to be, Tony Hawk. Tony and Shaun are class acts; both are supremely technically talented and true icons of their respective sports.

*Just to grind your mental gears a little more, the stances (right foot first or vice versa) are borrowed from skateboarding jargon and one of them is termed 'goofy-footed' -- I'll let figuring that one out to be your homework.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I like watching the snowboarding, etc. I'm an older BMX guy from the 80s, so anything remotely connected to alternative sports whether it be skating, snowboarding, bmx, dirt jumping, etc tickles my fancy.

Personally, I think the progression of all these extreme sports has gone too far though. It is something to watch and the talent of the riders / participants unquestionable. My issue is that that the skill and danger has surpassed what is reasonable. These guys have gone to Evel Knieval levels of tricks. It is only a matter of time before someone is killed trying to do a 1440 double nut grab goofy footed with a backward flare to a biscuit while blindfolded.

I raced BMX in the expert class nationally as a teen. I was psyched when it finally made the Summer Games as a sport. The olympic track is absolutely insane. I don't think I would have made it down the first straight on that olympic track. I also had found out the silver medalist in the 2012 Olympics was paralyzed in a training accident.

posted on Feb, 14 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I sadly understood every word.

What have I done with my life.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join