It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bitcoin SNUBBED after value plunge as Starbucks announces plans to accept cryptocurrencies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

STARBUCKS is set to become one of the first major high street shops to accept cryptocurrency after it announced plans to incorporate blockchain as part of its payment strategy, but in a snub it has ruled out using Bitcoin.

The move means digital currencies could be traded for everyday purchases in the coming years.

Following the increase in consumer interest in the online currencies, Starbucks Chairman Howard Shultz said it was necessary for major businesses to adapt their strategies.

But the Starbucks boss said his company would not be looking at Bitcoin in their corporate strategy, claiming the original digital currency would not “be a currency today or in the future”.

No Bitcoin

Many people here and elsewhere say crypto has no value, worthless, not backed by anything. Many people and businesses seem to think otherwise.

We will see.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Its like the first snowfall in winter. Will it melt fast or stay.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   
It has as much value as other fiat money - value depends on if and how much people are willing to use it for trade.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
It has as much value as other fiat money - value depends on if and how much people are willing to use it for trade.

Words of the wise has spoken.
Is Wallstreet listening to you now.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna

It seems that the list is growing by the week or month. It is gaining popularity. I think that Starbucks announcing this is a pretty big step into the legitimacy of crypto.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
They need to say right now what coins they will accept if they haven't, there is way too much risk for insider trading here.
edit on 28/1/2018 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Cryptocurrency for bad coffee that gives me explosive diharrea. Sounds like a fair trade.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Cryptocurrency for bad coffee that gives me explosive diharrea. Sounds like a fair trade.

You could possibly have a medical issue..lol

I went years before I discovered I was lactose intolerant. Maybe you are super sensitive to caffeine.

I am not a medical professional though.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:19 AM
link   
well, Starbucks executive team apparently has no brains

this won't go well for them, that's my prediction

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I just wonder how they'll keep up with the constantly changing exchange rate. Crypto seems too volatile for such a practical application as buying coffee, the price (in crypto) would be changing every 30 minutes :O

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

sounds like a cynical ploy to appear cutting edge - without taking any risks

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I bought Starbucks coffee 4 years ago while visiting the States for around $3.40 a cup. It was sh.. and I like coffee.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:37 AM
link   

OK I have to ask are they brain dead? They say Bitcoin is going under and won't be around but then decide to accept less popular cryptos instead? So which is it they will fail or not?

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01

You could possibly have a medical issue..lol

I went years before I discovered I was lactose intolerant. Maybe you are super sensitive to caffeine.

I am not a medical professional though.

It is low quality coffee though,you mainly pay for the brand name. I have had better coffee that I produced at home if you have the right ingredients and aren't too lazy to make it yourself coffee at home can easily be better made at home. Coffee in general can give me diarrhea so I don't make it all the time,but I do enjoy a 80/20 latte every once in a while.

Fyi 80 percent is milk 20 percent is coffee,I believe this ratio produces the best flavor,that or 75/25 I forget which it has been a little while since I made one. Most people prefer their coffee the exact opposite of how I enjoy mine so perhaps I may have this caffeine sensitivity you mention.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

sounds like a cynical ploy to appear cutting edge - without taking any risks

Starbucks Coffee is so bad it needs all the advertising it can get.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   
They've grown too big, they must go scorched earth on the roasted scale so the taste is consistant across the planet.

You will never escape the burn!

Seriously though,

I hope it's faster than cash.

Blocking morning coffee rush to tinker with your phone is borderline suicidal.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
They've grown too big, they must go scorched earth on the roasted scale so the taste is consistant across the planet.

You will never escape the burn!

Seriously though,

I hope it's faster than cash.

Blocking morning coffee rush to tinker with your phone is borderline suicidal.

seriously though Mc Donalds in Asia used Vietnam coffee which they called "premium" and it kicked in the morning high, now they even changed the cups and the coffee blend, which is still not too bad, but the coffee high just doesn't kick in like it use too.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

You buy coffee from MacDonalds... Really?

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: musicismagic

You buy coffee from MacDonalds... Really?

yeah 100 yen a cup
not bad if freshly made, does go stale quickly after it warms up a bit

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
I just wonder how they'll keep up with the constantly changing exchange rate. Crypto seems too volatile for such a practical application as buying coffee, the price (in crypto) would be changing every 30 minutes :O

I wouldn't think it would work any differently than the dollar. The value will just be established at some interval, determined by the retailer just like it is now.

Ever see a daily chart for USD especially on a bad day?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join