It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost Newbie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Asking for help:

My name is Penny, but I prefer Nonnie. I have 2 adult children, and 1 more anxiously awaiting his 18th. My oldest daughter made me grandma (Nonnie) last September. My middle girl, turned 18 last August and hasn't decided what she wants from life since she graduated last may. My son is still in high school. He loves football, track, and girls. In March, I will celebrate 15 years of togetherness with my husband. Sometime later this year, we're finally going to make our common-law marriage legal.

I haven't been a member very long, 3-5 days, maybe a week. Anyway, I'm so confused it's not funny. I get that we're supposed to read what other members write in a forum, and if we want to respond I understand the concept of how to perform that task. The confusion comes from the fact that I cannot figure out how to create my own forum so I can talk about the things which are on my mind, and I don't wanna have to piggyback off someone else.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Penny4oh

Im not sure if you need 5 or 20 posts to start a new thread, the rules have changed over time.

You are at 4 as of this post, sojust a few more replies to other threads and you will be able to make your own, in most forums.

Certain forums require significantly more posts before you can participate, but that shouldn't affect you.

Welcome to ATS
edit on 1 27 2018 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS Penny! We can chat here if you would like to share what is on your mind a little bit.

It may generate responses that you might feel inclined to reply to.

Or you may choose to just "lurk" and watch as things unfold.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS, serial lurker here

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Penny4ohWELCOME!!! Enjoy your sentence, err, I mean your time here lol

don't wanna have to piggyback off someone else
Well, certainly. You want to share your unique and individual thoughts. But, we must learn to share, give and take, if you will. You might find some trains of thought are already here. My science teacher taught me (before free thought was clamped down on) that you can not think of something someone else has already thought, somewhere in time.. What a reverse psychology inspiration

Anyways, the time will slip by fast enough. Enjoy ..

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Ummm...that’s dreadful...Penny...

As that old fart...I mean Stosh64 stated...I think it’s 20 post reply’s before you can start your own threads...

From there you simply choose the forum that best suits your topic and click on “new thread”...

Welcome to ATS...where most of us don’t take themselves quite serious enough...and...some of us much...much too seriously...

Hope that helps...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   

A mod should show up soon posting all the references and guidelines you need first. Welcome to ATS.

edit on 27-1-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Hey! Just because I play an old fart on ATS doesn't mean I am one!

OK, I am one.

edit on 1 27 2018 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
When you are qualified to start your own threads, the simplest approach is this;
Which kind of topic do you want to write about? (e.g. UFO's , American politics, etc.)
Look down the Recent Posts page and click on somebody else's thread on the same kind of topic.
You will then find, near the top of the new page, a cross-in-a-circle icon marked "New thread". Click on that.
[The site is divided into subforums for different topics. Following this trick will get you into the right subforum. Or you can go direct to the right forum-page, when you know them better]

Clicking on "New thread" will give you an edit screen for typing. One box for the title, and another for the main text. The main box will have a message inviting you to click on it and write.
If you decide to type in the title first, do NOT press ENTER when you've done that part. If you do, the thread will go online at once without waiting for your main text. Half a dozen members will then add jokey comments about the fact, since newcomers are always doing this. (Don't panic, though, because there would still be time to edit and add your remarks)

edit on 27-1-2018 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: YouSir

Hey! Just because I play an old fart on ATS doesn't mean I am one!

OK, I am one.

Ummm...It's alright my friend...I'm a member of the old fart brigade as well...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
hi

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
DISRAELI,

I really appreciate your assistance. I've got so many topics, with one heck of a way to look at each. So, although I will be responding to others' threads, I will be doing a lot of my own topics. Could you please remind me of qualifications I have to meet before I can start my own threads.

Enjoy your day,

Penny4oh AKA Nonnie

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It used to be necessary to make 20 posts as replies to other threads, before you could make your own threads. I'm told the number has gone down. It may now be 10?
There are one or two very select subforums where the number-of-posts bar is higher than that. I don't know the details, because they are not my topics. If you suddenly find yourself unable to make a thread, when you normally can, you have probably discovered one of them.

posted on Jan, 28 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hi there! Welcome!

When you reach 20 posts you can start threads, except in RATS which require a lot more (200, I think...been a while), and begin to PM other members aside from staff.

As Disraeli pointed out, the easiest way to navigate around to find where you want to post a thread is to look for similar topics. Or you can contact staff for help on that. Sometimes it's harder to decide where a thread should go than it is to actually write the durned thing...

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards. Any questions, don't hesitate to drop us a line.

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Hello and welcome!

top topics

join