It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missile alert employee not cooperating in probe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Demoncreeper
Was in Maui when the alert came out, we all got the text. Was pretty surreal. But I was struggling with pop ups on my phone, all morning, from the "westjet" app that I downloaded. So when I got the message alert, at first, I was like "naw...not falling for that". But then my father in laws flip phone was getting the alert. No apps on that phone. haha.

We did see military helicopters, later that day, patrolling. Which someone said was a regular occurrence in Hawaii. But we were there 14 days. Only saw them, that day. Also, only assuming they were military and assuming they were patrolling...haha.. They didn't look like the "tourist" helicopters. Pic

I am thinking there actually was a launch from NK. But we were able to intercept or down it or it just went down on its own and now NK is seeking peace because they are just realizing the reality of their situation. Just my opinion nothing to back it up.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

It depends on the design of the app. If all they had to do was update a message in the DB , xml, or simple txt,etc . 38 minutes is a long time to do that.

In reality they likely didn't create the app and would have had to contact the vendor and have a consultant tell them what files to update. Trust me getting a hold of a CEO by a high ranking govt official under such manner takes minutes, I have been their on both sides.

This likely didn't involve modifying code but rather metadata and or configuration files.

If they built the app in house then getting hold of the right developer is what likely took the time.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Demoncreeper

They're Black Hawks. They were most likely going from the Pohakaloa training area on the Big Island back to Oahu, which is where they're based.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

where do you come up with this stuff just making it up off the top of your head?

they didnt hack any system, they didnt send out any cancellation alert, there was just the one inbound missile alert, that was the only alert sent,

the way they retracted the alert was via twitter. they tweeted that its a false alarm, and the news picked up on that tweet.

no advanced system hacking involved....

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal

where do you come up with this stuff just making it up off the top of your head?

they didnt hack any system, they didnt send out any cancellation alert, there was just the one inbound missile alert, that was the only alert sent,

In the software industry and computer industry a hack doesn't just mean a 13 year old kid in the basement going wargames on Hawaii. A hack means you modified the system to do something it wasn't originally designed for, by its developer or sysadmin on the fly as a work around . Not just for nefarious purposes.

In this case one of the articles stated that the messages in the system were predefined that is why they couldn't just immediately send an update message. They likely would have had to hack or modify the valuelist as shown in one of the pictures of the application , to change the message associated with the drop down menu. However, couldn't on time for what ever reason or chose not too.

The point is that its possible that due to the bad system design they couldn't just simply send a corrected message immediately as some have suggested , unless they hacked the system and had permission to make such changes. Something not typically done in a production environment unless extremely critical error has occurred. Which this incident possibly could have been justified but they likely lacked the permissions or know how todo so.

edit on 04131America/ChicagoFri, 26 Jan 2018 15:04:43 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

i did not ask for a definition of the term "hack", i rather was just curious where the poster i was replying to (not you) got it in his head that they had performed any sort of hack to retract the alert... they didnt, they tweeted a retraction. no "hacking" involved whatsoever, under any definition of the term.
edit on 26-1-2018 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
in the system you can add the message!
so just put a NEW messgae that says.
"Sorry no attack, me bad"
and press the attack button again!

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

They did send out a cancellation alert though, 38 minutes later. I have it on my phone.

They may have taken to Twitter first, but the retraction alert did go out to all phones.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ
I read something similar except it wasn't NK but was an attempted false flag, but the missile was taken out and so was the submarine that launched it, and that is what took the 38mins. Was also a YouTube vid of a guy saying his sister was there and people on a tourist boat and I think a lighthouse saw an explosion in the sky about 15mins after the alert. Also read there was something unknown showing up n the radar the day before.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Sense says people don't just type in the message in real time. Preset value.

As for as the initial alert...

Around 8:05 a.m., the Hawaii emergency employee initiated the internal test, according to a timeline released by the state. From a drop-down menu on a computer program, he saw two options: “Test missile alert” and “Missile alert.” He was supposed to choose the former; as much of the world now knows, he chose the latter, an initiation of a real-life missile alert.

“In this case, the operator selected the wrong menu option,” HEMA spokesman Richard Rapoza told The Washington Post on Sunday

Link

edit:

I wouldn't be surprised if the design didn't account for this type of incident.

"Who would send the real launch message for a test."

edit on 1/26/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

The only way any ICBM is stopped is by using interceptors from California or Alaska. They'd have to use multiple interceptors, meaning at minimum two launches from whichever location was used. But we don't have a single sighting of an interceptor being launched. Not too mention that an ICBM would be at its target a lot faster than 38 minutes.

Not to mention, the story I read about the tourist boat was that his sister told him about it, and they were 100 miles out. In all the years I lived in Hawaii, the only time I ever heard of a boat going anywhere near that far out, was the interisland ferry that no longer runs (unless they brought it back, which has almost no chance of happening because it made too much sense).
edit on 1/26/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: CthulhuMythos

The only way any ICBM is stopped is by using interceptors from California or Alaska. They'd have to use multiple interceptors, meaning at minimum two launches from whichever location was used. But we don't have a single sighting of an interceptor being launched. Not too mention that an ICBM would be at its target a lot faster than 38 minutes.

Not to mention, the story I read about the tourist boat was that his sister told him about it, and they were 100 miles out. In all the years I lived in Hawaii, the only time I ever heard of a boat going anywhere near that far out, was the interisland ferry that no longer runs (unless they brought it back, which has almost no chance of happening because it made too much sense).

The ferry is a different story, it was hated by a lot of people for a lot of reasons.

Anyway, you're sure that the nearest interceptors are in Alaska or California? Leaves us pretty exposed out here, not that I ever expected otherwise. With all the military assets in the islands at any given time, are we really dependant upon Alaska or California to cover us?

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: VariableConstant

They did send out a cancellation alert though, 38 minutes later. I have it on my phone.

They may have taken to Twitter first, but the retraction alert did go out to all phones.

Any chance you have a screenshot of the original alert and the cancellation alert you can post here?

I find the fact his only statement was a written one to be very telling. It was likely prepared by someone, possibly an attorney for the agency.

It would be interesting to hear him talk and be able to compare his speech to the writing sample. The fact he is refusing to cooperate speaks volumes of a cover up.

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: VariableConstant

Any chance you have a screenshot of the original alert and the cancellation alert you can post here?

I find the fact his only statement was a written one to be very telling. It was likely prepared by someone, possibly an attorney for the agency.

It would be interesting to hear him talk and be able to compare his speech to the writing sample. The fact he is refusing to cooperate speaks volumes of a cover up.

I can't figure out how to upload. Maybe this link will work?

imgur.com...
edit on 27-1-2018 by VariableConstant because: workaround

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hewhowaits
If he was entrusted with the position of emergency warnings, he should be responsible enough to explain his actions. In what world are you not liable for your actions?
He caused sheer panic, he should be personally liable for any damages due to his negligence.
But then again, Noone seems to be liable for sh#t lately.
Maybe give him a box of tide pods and let nature take its course.

"In what world are you not liable for your actions"?

When you work in any position of authority in the USA. They leave us with no shortage of examples that prove this point.

And it is quite embarrassing for the rest of us when our so called leaders set these kinds of examples.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I saw on a site on YouTube that a boat full of tourists off Hawaii reported that they heard a loud "explosion" around the same time as the alert. Kinda makes one want to sit back and say "Hummmmmm mm mmmm...velly intellestink."

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

I know, right?!

I heard that and STM (said to myself) WTF?!

10 bucks it's a deep stater! Or a Daca.

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: VariableConstant

The only interceptors capable of stopping an ICBM, for the entire country are at Vandenberg AFB, California, and Fort Greely, Alaska. As of June of last year, 10 of 19 kill tests, under very limited, specific conditions had been successful.

Hawaii has been instrumental in developing the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System, but that system is only capable of stopping up to a medium range ballistic missile, not something that can reach Hawaii from North Korea.

Ground Based Mid-course Defense

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: VariableConstant

Perfect...thanks!

posted on Jan, 27 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Why not send the already defined and coded this is just a test message?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join