It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont becomes ninth U.S. state to legalize marijuana

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I feel this is a step in the right direction for several reasons.

First, it's my opinion that weed was made illegal in large part because of petroleum chemical industry. Cars were run on hemp oil, and plastics were made with the same. Petroleum oil is more expensive and diminishing, so they had to halt the proliferation of hemp.

This is a religious freedom, the bible clearly states, all seed bearing plants for the consumption of man. This is the first chapter in the first book of the bible.

This is also a personal freedom issue. I believe in the divine family unit, which means I choose what is right for my family, not other people inserting their morals and beliefs onto my family. There is a responsibility to protect and not harm ones family, and that is the core of the divine family unit.

Why not allow the government to make money off of this, and not just criminals. The plan didn't work for prohibition, it just made the mafia rich. I also feel that weed should be sold in every prison, at a higher cost than normal. This would lower violence and create large incomes for states.

Weed is good, it grows everywhere, and it's a powerful medicine. Regardless if you don't like it, you shouldn't stop others from using it.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: SkeptiSchism
Yah I support de-criminalization of all drugs. But legalizing drugs just opens the door for government to create cartels and monopolies for corporations.

Making drugs illegal is a worse cartel. Look at the CIA bringing in coc aine, or gangsters selling booze during prohibition. I agree that monopolies are dangerous, but making something illegal creates a much more insipid monopoly, where the government controls and locks people up at their will. I go for as little government interference as possible. This is why it's great that the states have taken control, instead of the Feds

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThreeDeuce
I feel this is a step in the right direction for several reasons.

First, it's my opinion that weed was made illegal in large part because of petroleum chemical industry.

In fact, it was criminalized partly through efforts to regulate the pharmaceutical industry and ensure accurate labeling of drugs and partly in an effort to deport Mexicans entering the US (Mexicans commonly smoked cannabis after working in the fields rather than drinking alcohol.)

Cannabis was in common use as an ingredient in tinctures and drugs before 1906, when it became listed as a narcotic and therefore a controlled substance under the "poison laws."

It snowballed from there.

In what has to be a very interesting irony, California was one of the first states to criminalize it under the poison laws.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I actually think the way Vermont has it set up itssetter because with it being legal to grow your own there is no reason or excuse for there to be retail outlets.

I personally don't like seeing cannabis turned into just another commodity like everything else it's a naturally occurring plant it's a plant that everybody now has access to ( in the states where it's legal ) and there's no reason why they can't supply themselves.
edit on 23-1-2018 by HarryJoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I absolutely love the fact that states are still pushing for legalization, not giving AF about what Trump, and the Feds are about to throw at them. Keep the good fight alive!!!

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy
I actually think the way Vermont has it set up itssetter because with it being legal to grow your own there is no reason or excuse for there to be retail outlets.

To my knowledge, the other States that allow recreational MJ also allow adult residents to grow it. For example, Colorado allows up to 6 plants per adult resident over the age of 21, with a maximum of 12 plants per household except under specific circumstances (HERE).

But growing a plant doesn't replace the need for consumer-ready versions of that product, especially when there's such a strict limit on how much you can grow at home. Suppose that they placed the same legal limit for tomato plants in an urban garden. Would 6 plants be enough to produce all of an individual's tomato needs/wants?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

Could you imagine if pot commercials could air during NFL game? It would be GG for the beer market. Lol.

It sure would lol They made mofo amounts of cash from it.
edit on 23-1-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
For the guy that asked me about this -

This from 2013.

European Commission to Ban Heirloom Seeds and Crimialize Plants and Seeds not registered with Gov.

It seems the government is taking over everything -

This law will immediately stop the professional development of vegetable varieties for home gardeners, organic growers and small scale market farmers. Home gardeners have really different needs – for example they grow by hand, not machine, and can’t or don’t want to use such powerful chemical sprays. There’s no way to register the varieties suitable for home use as they don’t meet the strict criteria of the Plant Variety Agency, which is only concerned about approving the sort of seed used by industrial farmers – Ben Gabel, Director of The Real Seed Catalogue

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I've seen articles from around 2013 and 2014 about that, but was there any update to the story? As in, did they go through with it or not?

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I haven't followed up on the story since I last saw it. But it looks like Denmark has rejected the EU Policy. I don't know about other EU countries.

seedfreedom.info...

The Danish Seed Savers (Frøsamlerne), The Danish Association for Practical Ecology (Landsforeningen Praktisk Økologi) and other engaged seed guardians networks behind SEED POPUP 2016 are celebrating Denmark’s decision to reject the corporatization of our seed heritage and free the seed. “Last year we focused on changing the Danish seed legislation and after repeating our demands many times for a free seed exchange, we finally succeeded!

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yes to my knowledge as well it is legal to grow it in any of the states that have legalized it... The difference with Vermont is, Vermont is not making any provision for retail sales of it also Vermont is the only state that brought it into being through legislation.

While six tomato plants may not be enough to supply a person's need of tomatoes for a year 6 cannabis plants could easily supply a generous amount for a year. Unless the person is chain smoking joints everyday. And even then in Vermont the person can still buy it they just can't buy it through a retail outlet the biggest factor is... it is no longer illegal to be carrying it around with you in quantities of one ounce or less from what I remember.

I guess the bottom line is. I don't have a huge problem with retail outlets for cannabis. I guess it just bothers me to see cannabis used for making profit and to see it being taxed. I just personally feel that it is something that should be kept outside of the normal commodity Market. Similar to how the Native Americans hold tobacco as a sacred plant it's not something they would try to capitalize on... although I'm sure at this point in history some of them may be.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Ugggh, when is Sessions going to champion the will of the people and impeach all these states who have legalized the devils weed!?!!!!!eleventy!!!

Enough is enough, this stuff is going to ruin America ('n private prison industries as well as pharma's bottom line).

Won't someone think of Big Pharma and the for profit prison industry!

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Another way to tax something,they see the potential revenue,and truth be told Vermont is not famous for any large industry or manufacturing I have heard of,have to get money to pay for liberal laws

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack We should watch to see if impaired driving accidents increase in Vermont.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Larry2323

Yeah well, that won't happen unless these idiots are driving drunk at the same time.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join