It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utz Truck

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Does anyone else remember as a kid having the Utz truck come around and make deliveries to houses like the milkman did? I do. Utz made the best pretzels, potato chips and snacks of anyone, and they had routes people would sign up for. They'd deliver right to your house. The potato chips and pretzels came in these big tins which you could use for all sorts of fun projects; they were awesome for using to blast into the sky with M80's.

One of the best products they carried were their pretzels. Why? Because they were SALTY, like pretzels should be!

The Utz company has been around for ages, but mostly they're just sold in stores now and in much smaller packaging. They also neutered most of their salty snacks by removing most of the salt, and they fell from grace with us and many others as a result. However, the other day the wife picked up a plastic barrel of Utz pretzels, and guess what? They're awesome...and they're SALTY! The plastic jug is almost as big as their old delivered tins used to be. Hey, it's better than nothin'.

I still kind of wish I'd see the light tan Utz truck driving around through neighborhoods though. Nostalgic thing maybe, but the Utz truck never stopped at our house. We were too cheap for that, but I always looked forward to Wednesdays when the truck would deliver to some of the neighbor places; it was time to go over to their house!

Remember the Utz truck?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Early 60's , Ca. We had a milk truck and a bread wagon, delivered fresh bottles of milk and loaves of bread.

Service discontinued when I was still very young.

The bread wagon was a sort of brown colored cross between a van and station wagon, with rear doors that opened. They parked in the street and honked and you came out to pick out daily baked bread.

The driver knew us by name.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yes, in Miami Florida in the 60s. Loved the huge tins of chips but especially those marshmellow coconut cookies. The best!

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
Yes, in Miami Florida in the 60s. Loved the huge tins of chips but especially those marshmellow coconut cookies. The best!

up in the tampa area it was these

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

That's the same exact tin Utz used, same color and everything!

Their truck was about that color too, and looked like a milk truck.

edit...huh, I just went out and searched for the vintage tins and all I see is the Charles chips like you posted.

edit on 1/13/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

That's the same exact tin Utz used, same color and everything!

Their truck was about that color too, and looked like a milk truck.

edit...huh, I just went out and searched for the vintage tins and all I see is the Charles chips like you posted.

you may be mixing childhood memories or something.
i do it a lot

i dont know if you can get charles chips anymore at grocery stores.
there is a store in cleveland called BA sweetie that sells them

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   
i never heard of utz until i lived on the east coast but i have to admit, those are some good chips.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Utz have flooded all the stores here in the east that I shop at. 2 for $5.00 almost everywhere. They might even eclipse Lays.... very soon
edit on 13-1-2018 by Plotus because: almost dropped my beer....oooops

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Could be, but I swear I can see it (in my memory) like it was yesterday.

I just remember the strange name.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Utz just discontinued our favourite pub mix in Nova Scotia, Canada and I ...actually paid SEVENTY DOLLARS to ship in a giant tub from the state's.
I'm really going to miss it.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Grandma Utz Handcooked Chips are the best.
Cooked in lard.

One local chip factory still used cans in this area up until about ten years ago.

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Never heard of UTZ but around here we have the Schwanns trucks. Mostly ice cream (the best) when I was a kid, now they have all sorts of foods and meals you can have delivered

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: tinner07

Yeah, you see Schwann's tooling around all over the place way out here in the country. It's 10 miles to the nearest town, and that only has a gas station (no grocery store). I always hear people talk about their ice cream, but I've never had any. I guess people like the convenience, but I've heard it's kind of expensive.

edit on 1/14/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   
We had "charles" and "utz".
Charles delivered in our area, not sure of Utz offered delivery but they ruled the grocery stores.
Same kind of tins, different logos.
It was a huge amount of chips.

We mostly ate the Charles brand, cause my dad's buddy Charlie, was the son of the owner, lol.
He always had a closet full of tins.

I actually liked both brands, but we often were given some of "Charles" brands new flavors.
First time I ever had a super spicy chip was some sort of hot pepper "Charles" chip (they looked identical to the regular)

top topics

join