It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seatle sin taxes soda

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Easily solved.

Drink water.

I stopped drinking soda.

It's killing you anyways. 39 grams of sugar per can of Coke is bad for you.

edit on 10-1-2018 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Our moral and intellectual superiors are at it again.
Seattle has imposed a tax on sugary drinks such as Gatorade and soda.

"Seattle has decided to impose a 1.75 cent per ounce tax on all sugary beverages within the city with the hopes of raising a $15 million revenue stream that it will use for programs to help people “have better access to fresh fruits and vegetables,” as Seattle station KIRO 7 explains. The price of Gatorade Frost Variety Pack at Costco, usually $15.99, with the $10.34 tax, shot up to $26.33, leaving customers with sticker-shock."

The next step must be tax people by the pound.
It's for their own good ya know.
The nanny state keeps taking over one little step at a time.

rare.us...

What I've never understood is how liberals will tax something because they want less of it, but then they don't seem to extend that logic to how high taxes can negatively affect income and business productivity (i.e., less of it).

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

My question: when a state like Washington or Cali go to being a "one-party" state, does the number of people bothering to show up to vote drastically decrease? If you're not a Dimocrat, whats the point of voting?

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

What I've never understood is how liberals will tax something because they want less of it, but then they don't seem to extend that logic to how high taxes can negatively affect income and business productivity (i.e., less of it).

From everything I've observed, they could care less about negatively affecting income and business productivity. In fact, they often times take actions that are precisely intended to negatively affect income.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: seagull

My question: when a state like Washington or Cali go to being a "one-party" state, does the number of people bothering to show up to vote drastically decrease? If you're not a Dimocrat, whats the point of voting?

Might as well not show up. Where I am in Chicago, it is Democrat controlled and I know my vote doesn't mean squat. I vote on principle anyway.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Democrats tax the hell out of specific items, people go elsewhere to buy them, their local businesses fail, and then they blame Capitalism. Liberal Logic 101

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Our moral and intellectual superiors are at it again.
Seattle has imposed a tax on sugary drinks such as Gatorade and soda.

"Seattle has decided to impose a 1.75 cent per ounce tax on all sugary beverages within the city with the hopes of raising a $15 million revenue stream that it will use for programs to help people “have better access to fresh fruits and vegetables,” as Seattle station KIRO 7 explains. The price of Gatorade Frost Variety Pack at Costco, usually $15.99, with the $10.34 tax, shot up to $26.33, leaving customers with sticker-shock."

The next step must be tax people by the pound.
It's for their own good ya know.
The nanny state keeps taking over one little step at a time.

rare.us...

Good. I've been saying that for years. I see women out stuffing those machines with money for drinks for overweight children. Besides, beer has had enough taxing. Move on.

Parents let children drink those things with their meals. Liquid sugar.

Additionally, carbonation is bad for the kidneys. They should omit non-carbonated drinks like tea, lemonade, and of course, water.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Taxed, past tense.

I am aware that it was killed. ...and those highways? Used for a bit more than the ferries are used for. Don't get me wrong, when I'm in Seattle, or the Sound area, I use 'em. They're dead useful, if you don't feel like taking the long way around.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Kind of what I figured. I used to live in Houston, 95% Democrat.........we never bothered to vote; there was no competition. Weird deal really. I became friends with a couple of the Democrat operatives in Houston. The upper echelons of the party decide who gets what at a cocktail party; the Newspaper "endorses" their selections, there's an election and voila! The results precisely mirror the newspaper's recommendations.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Right..
This will stop people from fattening up their children.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Passing laws to control peoples leisure is nothing new. Pots been illegal for quite some time.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I love my mini farm in Ohio more and more. To think a few years ago we were crying to move back to Oregon. Given this, and insane property values and taxes..

they can keep the Northwest...we will just pop by for a week to see friends.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

See Bluetone, you are complaining for nothing.

Comply -get with the program and do as you are told or life will become very very uncomfortable for you

Now you truly know what it was like for smokers.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

And when smokers asked people to stand with us and help us protect ourselves from a rapacious government, you all believed the anti-smokers when they said that the slippery slope was all a nasty lie concocted by Big Tobacco.

We are all smokers now.

I really, really hope you can see the difference in second hand smoke that affects lots of people besides the smoker and the ingestion of sugary drinks which affects only the user?

To equate the health risks of sugary drinks with thise of tobacco is absurd.

And FWIW, I quit smoking in 1984 after 12 years (started around age 12 and was smoking 2 packs a day when I quit). I also don’t drink sugary drinks...

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Good. soda is toxic. Fat slobs are causing huge increases in medical costs because they don't ask for water.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: richapau

Fat slobs already drink diet soda.
This tax will not change their habits but will likely make more people switch to fake sugar diet drinks.
Some improvement

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: richapau

I'm not fat nor a slob, but when I want a soda I should be able to buy one. If we are going to tax unhealthy food let's start with white bread, all fried foods, red meat, cookies and candies, why just single out soda. Some say dairy is unhealthy. It's a slippery slope.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I saw this one.

Apparently, CostCo of all places has changed their signage. They have the price sans tax with the tax amount listed underneath and then the total. Basically, the tax is so much that it more or less doubled the cost of soda overnight. CostCo has also helpfully posted signage directing their shoppers to other CostCos outside the Seattle metro where they can avoid that cost.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Easily solved.

Drink water.

I stopped drinking soda.

It's killing you anyways. 39 grams of sugar per can of Coke is bad for you.

I quit drinking it regular- but I still drink the occasional sugar drinks.
I think what most people fail to realize is exactly HOW MUCH sugar that is.

For reference, that 12oz can has 39 grams of sugar... but a full grown man on a 2,000 calorie diet should be consuming *no more* than 24 grams of sugar in a day. That's not "about" 24 grams, that's between 0 and 24.

A burst of sugar like that causes no shortage of bad things to happen in your body, both short and long term... but in that volume it's devastating. But that isn't the real problem... the real problem is consuming that much sugar regularly.

"That Sugar Film" has a ton of great information about the subject, and is a great watch for the family.
Even now, Today I had an energy drink with breakfast for whatever reason. That drink had 24 grams of sugar, which means before I even bit into my breakfast I was at 100% of my sugar for the day.
Then, breakfast had some jelly. And some fruit. I'm probably at 300% my sugar intake for the day and I've still got one more meal and a snack to go.

A regular can of coke would add another 163% to that.
Crazy amounts of sugar.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Anyone with half an ounce of sense knows it's bad for you and you shouldn't drink it except as maybe a rare treat.

But it's not the government's place to tell us what we can and cannot do.

If people want to drink six 3-liters a day, that's their own stupidity.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join