It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA data: 2005 could be warmest year ever recorded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
(not "the warmest year ever" but "the warmest year since we started keeping global weather records.)

The conditions that have sparked this warning are increases in greenhouse gases combined with a weak El Nino. For the record, we've had record "hottest years" for three of the past seven years. Frankly, if you live in an area that is NOT prepared for hot weather (like we are here in Texas) you might want to think about preparations for this summer (like, get another box fan or something.)

story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20050210/sc_nm/environment_warming_nasa_dc

Oh yes... and write your congresscritter and tell them we need to QUIT listening to Bush and start listening to some of the tree huggers instead.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
And yet for eastern europe this was one of the coldest years on record.
This winter has been one of the coldest ever but the earth is warming up?
oooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The weather seems to have been acting a little crazy for awhile now. I'd say for at least the last couple of years. It seems to be happenning in small incrimental temprature differences that keep shifting in the same dirrection. For instance, where I live, our winters seem to be getting more and more snowfall, yet our summers are getting more milder. Just a weeks worth of temps over 100 last year. 10 years ago, July and August were unbearable. 100+ degrees pretty much for two months straight, with humidity as well. Its just not like that anymore, not that I'm complaining. I do hate all the snow though.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
That realy confuses me. Last year they said it was warmer, but here in Missouri it was the coolest, wettest summer on record. THere is snow in the deserts and yet in the coldest areas it has been getting warmer and drier. So where is it supposed to be the warmest? Antarctica? Everything seems to be opposite of what it is supposed to be.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The year that holds the record for being the hottest so far is 1998.
This is for the entire Earth.

1995 held the previous mark, a global annual average of 58.154 degrees Fahrenheit. NASA says 1998 averaged out at 58.496 degrees F., a very big one-year jump.
www.gsreport.com...

People are just not listening to the warnings. Not only our governments but everyday people as well.

Melting of the caps will mean many other disasters for Earth. Climate change is a serious problem and we are facing it now. How long can the world government put off acting on Human-created green house gasses?
ATSNN

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
*scratches head*
I dunno about that. If you looked in my garden, you would swear the summer wasn't warm enough. Lousy crop of tomatoes--they need fairly warm sunny days and warmish nights to set fruit. My flowers were nothing to write home about.

Maybe I missed it, but how long has NASA been keeping records? The only HOT summer I remember in the MIdwest was 1988.

Sure, ny cooling bills will be much higher---mainly due to increases in price per KWH

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Oh yes... and write your congresscritter and tell them we need to QUIT listening to Bush and start listening to some of the tree huggers instead.

Good to hear from you Byrd. Important post. Thanks.

BTW - For those who are confused about cold wet weather seeming to bring this all into question - what we're looking at are changing weather patterns along with the heat. ...and shifts that muck things up big time - like affecting our ability to grow food because the growing weather ends up in the wrong place (simplistically speaking, sort of).

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Still Not Seeing Proof

I see a lot of conclusion jumping and agenda-pushing, but I'm not seeing proof of anything -- other than that.

I get insulted all the time for not adopting a religious position on this issue based on insufficient and highly suspect information.

Needless to say, I'll never agree with people pushing an agenda that call me an idiot, because only an idiot would do so.

Is it wrong for me to be skeptical?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
from where i live..looking back to my childhood the weather was hotter and the winters colder and more snows..it did not rain all the time..lots of passing showers
now the weather has been less sunny more than often and occasional rain..sometimes more than others..
winters seem to begin late and end earlier..right now it is raining when it should be a blzzard.
it is warmer in areas..like grass is showing in the artic and colder in england...texas austraila etc..but over all the temp is warming...
hence the shorter winters and more cloud in the skies...

over all we may feel cooler because of the moisture in the air because of the heat..althou somewhere else the temp does need to be cold..
such is life....on the other side of night there is day.

i would not worry about what we may be doing to global warming..what takes us so many years to do...a volcano or churning ground can do in seconds....
we are only effecting ourselfs...not the planet... does that make sense...its kind of early right now..

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Still Not Seeing Proof

I see a lot of conclusion jumping and agenda-pushing, but I'm not seeing proof of anything -- other than that.

I get insulted all the time for not adopting a religious position on this issue based on insufficient and highly suspect information.

Needless to say, I'll never agree with people pushing an agenda that call me an idiot, because only an idiot would do so.

Nobody insulted you on this thread Majic. There is nothing wrong with being skeptical. We need people like you to keep consperacy nuts like me in check

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
The sun is entering a super solar max era that may last for some time. Greenhouse gases have little to do with the issue.

science.nasa.gov...

more solar data

sidc.oma.be...

[edit on 15-2-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
You may get good long, hot summers in the US but here in the UK its always bloody raining! We don't see many good summers here so i think i will hold off buying that Air Conditioner for a while yet.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
You may get good long, hot summers in the US but here in the UK its always bloody raining! We don't see many good summers here so i think i will hold off buying that Air Conditioner for a while yet.

Hasn't it rained in the UK for oh, say, the last 1000 years? Or was that back to 585 when Patrick kill off all the snakes?
I always thought a lite rain was a sunshiny day in Bath?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid

Originally posted by Janus

Hasn't it rained in the UK for oh, say, the last 1000 years? Or was that back to 585 when Patrick kill off all the snakes?
I always thought a lite rain was a sunshiny day in Bath?

Bloody feels like its been raining for a thousand years. The first sign of sunshine and we all begin to slap on the sun factor 50 and sunbath in the back garden and then it starts to rain again.

Yep if it drizzles abit then we consider that a good summer day

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
*snip*

Not at all, majic. I agree with what you are saying.
I know I'm not a confused individaul. But I am an individual who will not be swayed by the forecast du jour. We would be an arrogant people to think we earth, who has been here forever, is being regulated by humankind.
I'm sure what we do has some impact. Not nearly, though, what the greenies insist.
IMHO

E_T

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenmansmind
what takes us so many years to do...a volcano or churning ground can do in seconds....
First of all mankind's emissions dwarf volcanic emissions.
Second volcanic eruptions actually cool climate because of huge amounts of aerosol particles they release.

Also it just happens to be that amount of CO2 in air has risen over 30% after industrial revolution, to level much much higher than ever in last 400 000 years. (and rising just increases)

CO2 amount and temperature seem to be linked very closely.
www.daviesand.com...

Here's CO2 observations from Mauna Loa, showing rising trend.
cdiac.esd.ornl.gov...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I like warm weather. Hooray!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
oh well, "Even the Mona Lisa's falling apart."

We've all got to die sometime...perhaps global change is the evolutionary-kick-in-the-ass humans need to get off this miserable gravity-well-of=a-planet and disperse your Life seed into the universe.

Besides, having studied your race, I've come to the conclusion that its end isn't particularilly important to the greater drama.

But we'll try to get your remaining artists, mathematicians, engineers and poets out in time...so keep honing those skills, newborn Buddha's!

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Did someone say Tree Hugger!

Hot here, cold there? You have to understand what happens to a system that runs on heat when you raise the temperature of the system. Jet streams that normaly run a certain pattern now overshoot the normal flow, this moves the flow somewhere else until the whole planet has different patterns. Rain and Tornados in SoCal, dry in Seattle when it should be wet. The polar jet is changed from colling the middle section down into the south is now pushed further north. This normally moves waves of warmer wet weather to the other side of the pond but is skiping this year making it freaking-frigid in Europe. The typical pattern we have seen in the past has prevailed for quite a while. We know it has been disrupted by natural causes but what if we are on the verge of tipping the scale. Good bye growing food in California, grain in the midwest, fruit in Florida.

Ask yourself this. trillions of gallons of fuel and ump-tillion tons of coal have been stored away. In the last Centery+ we have been throwing this stuff into the air. Where do you think all this Carbon is going?
The man in the oval office doesn't give a crap about you are your kid are there kids. It's all about profits, and they will try to sell us on anything to continue the status quo!

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Better give my sun goggles a good polish then

Bring on the heat waves! Might grow some tropical weeds in England then, btw UV light is good for plants - more UV more RESIN

new topics

top topics

join