It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mayor censured over Nazi jibe row

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
It seems in recent months, nazi jokes seem to be on the rise again. First it was Prince Harry now it is the Mayor of London who has decided to "crack a joke" at a Jewish journalist.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Mayor of London has been censured by the London Assembly for making a Nazi jibe to a Jewish journalist.

The assembly unanimously passed two motions which call on Mr Livingstone to apologise and withdraw his comments.

Last week Mr Livingstone accused an Evening Standard reporter of behaving like a "concentration camp guard".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What is making this more alarming is that Mr Livingstone refusing to apologise. Majority think the Mayor has gone "too far" this time because you cannot make Nazi remarks to anyone, especially a Jew. Its seems that common decency is slipping away from society now, it does seem abit immature that the Mayor of London, capital of England, thinks its "ok" to compare a Jewish man to concentration camp guard.

Related News Links:
politics.guardian.co.uk

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
As if making him apologize by parliamentary decree is going to mean anything. He has the right to be as offensive as he pleases, and the government can not take it upon itself to punish him for it. Maybe that would be reasonable if the mayor of London was still appointed as opposed to elected, but now Livingstone will just have to deal with how the voters take to his comments.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think he the mayor must have felt cornered/annoyed by the persistent questions and inquiries the journalist did about him. well some journalist are more annoyiing than a cloud of musquitos, but the mayor better would have said a word like "bloodsucking scumbag" , that would have a more generally well received angle toe it.

But then again , if somebody kicks you in the balls, you want to kick them back in the cheapest way possible...

The mayor showing actually is own weakness.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This guy needs to grow some thicker skin.

Oliver Finegold allegedly swore at the mayor

On tape Mr Livingstone is heard asking reporter Oliver Finegold if he is a "German war criminal".

Mr Finegold replies: "No, I'm Jewish, I wasn't a German war criminal. I'm quite offended by that."

The mayor then says: "Ah right, well you might be, but actually you are just like a concentration camp guard, you are just doing it because you are paid to, aren't you?"

This reporter pulled out the "Get Out of Jail Free" Jewish card, and the mayor called him on it. I find the exchange absolutely hilarious. Some people take themselves too seriously

top topics

join