It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MP3, WAv etc to Text

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I am very frustrated at trying to find this kind of technology that I can get to work.

I have downloaded about 10 such programs, installed them and tried to get them going but fail each and every time. I have enven installed Naturally Speaking 12 which I belevie has such a capability but I cannot even get the program to run.

The on line programs I have tried, I just cannot get to work.

I cant even replicate the "how to' vids. Once I went to the site after watching the vid and I could not even get into the site. I could not find a 'create an account' facility.

the help vids all make it sound very simple, easy and straight forward but form, a 65 year old bloke, its a hopeless task.

I think the problem is that I cannot sound through the virtual cables and when I play an MP3 the built in microphone does not seem to pick it up.

This is extremely frustrating,

any ideas gratefully accepted, thanks

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

I use Naturally Speaking and it works fine. It does need to be trained.

You have a problem where the audio is not getting to the program. It could be any one of ten settings and anyone would need to know some computer specs and what OS you are running if they are to help.

I am about the same age ... you can do it.

P

edit on 12/12/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   

i am not trying top be snarky - but if you have read the apps on line help // instructions /./ FAQ and watched other peoples tutorial vids

and the apps still will not run for you - i am not sure how any ATS help instructions will aid you

that said - the failure of multple commmercial products does indicate a flaw in your system [ audio settings ?? ]

the only helpfull thing i can say is :

do you have the money to pay a local computer shop // tech guy the 1 hour basic charge to look at the problem for you ???

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

I use Naturally Speaking and it works fine. It does need to be trained.

You have a problem where the audio is not getting to the program. It could be any one of ten settings and anyone would need to know some computer specs and what OS you are running if they are to help.

I am about the same age ... you can do it.

P

Thanks for that, Sorry i should have given these. I run a Windows PC with win 7 home premiuem, 64 bit with 8gb of ram. I cant even open Naturally Speaking. It does not seem to open like other programs and I cant find a way of opening the program.

I try one program and run into a block and so I find and try something else but with the same result I cant get anything going.

I've got Naturally Speaking 12 and i understand that has MP3, wav to text capability so look like Im in for a long slog at getting it to work.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
At this point you may want to run an antivirus program.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Have you tried this?

The guy even has the same problem with the input through the virtual cable.
But seems very doable. gl
edit on 12-12-2017 by Jubei42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

i am not trying top be snarky - but if you have read the apps on line help // instructions /./ FAQ and watched other peoples tutorial vids

and the apps still will not run for you - i am not sure how any ATS help instructions will aid you

that said - the failure of multple commmercial products does indicate a flaw in your system [ audio settings ?? ]

the only helpfull thing i can say is :

do you have the money to pay a local computer shop // tech guy the 1 hour basic charge to look at the problem for you ???

Thanks, for your obervation. I think the problem I have has more to do with getting my mp3 or wav file put somewhere where the microhone or the vb cable will pick it up and 'hear' it,, or the settings in the sound system adjusted so it will get picked up.

This is the hard part because I do what I know to do, and then im then stuck with what to do to fix it from there.

My dragon naturally speaking is 1.8 gb in size and seems to be take all my CPU power as the curser is quite slow and has to pushed along to where I want it to go.

When I try to start natrualy speaking it keeps wanting to configure itself but to that it first has to find the MSinstaller which I cannot locate in the product software to point the search for the installer to.

Running into dead ends left, right and centre.

I'm now trying to find some short articles on how Open Naturally Speaking and on how make it trasncribe MP3 or .WAV.

This is bloody frustrating.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42
Have you tried this?

The guy even has the same problem with the input through the virtual cable.
But seems very doable. gl

yes, a perfact example actually, he had no probems at all but I could'nt even get to go like he did.
i'm now trawling the net for how to's but again, the same reuslt.

According to my computer and what I read Natrually Speaking is a 1.8 gb program but according to one popup i get there are 2 installations in there and for that reason, it says, it wont start, Funny that, its still only 1.8gb folder??

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Wait wait, don't install anything. Why won't the web speech api work in your chrome browser?
You have chrome browser installed?
You have a mic connected to your system?
You should, at the very least, be able to talk to your mic and see text popping up.

We'll deal with the alternative input through the virtual cable later later.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Wait wait, don't install anything. Why won't the web speech api work in your chrome browser?
You have chrome browser installed?
You have a mic connected to your system?
You should, at the very least, be able to talk to your mic and see text popping up.

We'll deal with the alternative input through the virtual cable later later.

Thanks, "Why won't the web speech api work in your chrome browser?"

- I dont know. Yes I have installed Chrome for the purpose of using the Chrome based applications. I play the MP3 or the WAV set both input and the output to virtual calbe but I still cannot get words popping up on the screen.

In google docs I tried opening the virual microphone but it seems my version of MS office will not let it run.

Most of this sort of software requires both the input side and the output side to be connected to virtual cable so this is what I do, I make it them default connection on both sides. I play the MP3 with VLC player and I've tried Foobar2000, I turn the volume up enough to ensure its loud enough for the microphone or vitrual cable to pick it up but still no words popup on the screen.

I dunno what it is but i still seem to be doing somthing wrong.

I would rather use these on line programs because while the transcription my not be perfect I am happy to fix it later and they are small and fast it seems. Natrually Speaking is 1.8 gb in size and is impacting on the battery life of my mouse. I have gone through two lots of A3 batteries in two hours. it gets slower and slower unitl it just wont move so i repalce the batteries and it works as good as gold.

This morning I let the compter do updates and its seems to have fixed whatever the cause was, touch wood.

thanks

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Just an observation... but in the time it took you to mess with all those programs, mess with Naturally Speaking, Authored and replied to this thread... You could have just listened to the MP3s and WAVs and typed them out by hand... LoL!

Glad to see you got it working nonetheless

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

In google docs I tried opening the virual microphone but it seems my version of MS office will not let it run.

I'm sorry I shouldn't, but this is pretty funny. I apologize, and for the fact I haven't been usefull in solving your problem

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: UberL33t

Well.. yes, i been doing that for some time now, spending 5-7 hours in a day listening to a 1.5 hour talk by writing a few words, write that, listen to a few more words and write that down, listen to a few more words and write that down, listen to a few more words and write that down, listen to a few more words and write that down,listen to a few more words and write that down.

As you can see it takes a lot of time to trans late a 2 hour MP3 recording into text that captures the main learnings to be obtained from the tape. It taxes the committment to the hilt.

To set and forget and then spend half an hour to edit it, read it and file is something to die for figuratively speaking.

posted on Dec, 15 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

I'm sorry I shouldn't, but this is pretty funny. I apologize, and for the fact I haven't been usefull in solving your problem

no worries, I spose I am only trying to pick other peoples brains to make it easy for myself which I probably should'nt do either. As it turns out I think i have Naturally Speaking up and running now after having done some window up dates.

top topics

join