It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raspberry Pi and OSMC help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I don't know if I have a problem, or if I just assumed that OSMC worked this way. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 with OSMC flashed to a 16gb SD card and a 4gb USB with a couple films on it. I wanted to transfer the films to the SD card without using PuTTY, WinSCP, or any other internet based file transfer method. Why you may ask; I'm not at all good at using the terminal/command prompt on computers and find it to be good practice. I am however familiar with Arduino and proficient with G Code, so I "get it" on some level. The file transferring is not the problem, just trying to be detailed.

My assumption was that I could use the Raspberry Pi as a "server" and be able to access the Raspberry Pi from any computer, cellphone, or smart tv on my home network to watch the films stored on the SD/USB.

When I type the IP address of my Raspberry Pi into my PCs URL bar, I am able to access OSMC as a web page. The web page has a completely different GUI compared to the OS, however, it does have all the controls and options the OS has.

When I select a film to play using the PC, rather than playing it on the PC like I had thought it would (pulling data from the Raspberry Pi to the PC) the PC acts as a controller for the Raspberry Pi and plays it on the screen attached to the Raspberry Pi. Now if I drag and drop a film onto the web page, it will play the film. So I assume the web page is using OSMC to play it, which makes it seem as though it CAN do what I want, I'm just missing something.

Any help will awesome.

Please try and stay on topic as some might know both the Raspberry Pi and OSMC are capable of MUCH more than a simple entertainment system.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MrEnergy

You cant drop and drag it/them over? Yet can watch it both ways/devices?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

If I press play through the Pi, it plays on the Pi. If I press play through the PC, it plays on the Pi. If I drag and drop on the PC, it plays on the PC using the OSMC's web page associated with the Pi's IP address (not to be confused with OSMC's website, it's like going into your router or modem, OSMC on MY Pi has an IP address associated with it). Both the Pi and PC have independent monitors.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Hi, if you want to share media through internal network, then activate SAMBA server in OSMC. SAMBA will make files visible in windows network. RPi3 isn't the best as an media server because it has USB2.0 and 100mb ethernet and quite weak wifi. As an media player it also sadly lacks the ability to hardware decode HEVC files. HEVC is the future because it takes about 3x less space to show the same quality media as it was with x264.
The best media server would be a proper router with usb 3.0 and samba support.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrEnergy
a reply to: mysterioustranger

If I press play through the Pi, it plays on the Pi. If I press play through the PC, it plays on the Pi. If I drag and drop on the PC, it plays on the PC using the OSMC's web page associated with the Pi's IP address (not to be confused with OSMC's website, it's like going into your router or modem, OSMC on MY Pi has an IP address associated with it). Both the Pi and PC have independent monitors.

I see.. Hope someone here can help you. Let's us all know how it turns out!

Always good to pass around useful info and learn something new....!

top topics

join