It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remember the laser allegations? Here you go...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. military is planning a final demonstration Friday night of a ground-based laser system designed to warn pilots who have flown into restricted airspace over the nation's capital.

During the demonstration of the Visual Warning System, a test aircraft will be illuminated with alternating red and green laser lights, said Michael Kucharek, spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command.

"It's an attention-getter, but it's not blinding," Kucharek said. "It's not a distraction. So pilots can still focus on flying the aircraft without endangering anyone or themselves."

and it was supposed to be terrorists...

[edit on 13-2-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I must admit when I saw the threads about terroists using lasers to down aircraft I couldn't believe people were taking it seriously. Couldn't help but chuckle.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
One wonders why the pilots weren't warned about the testing...and the passengers.

All that money and tech, but not the common-sense or protocol to warn people. Stoopid.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   

One wonders why the pilots weren't warned about the testing...and the passengers.

Maybe we were actually testing a weapon. That would be why we wouldn't tell the pilots or the passengers. This could just be the cover story......

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hey I got an idea. If the pilots don't heed the oh-so-safe .5 watt pretty lights, we just turn it up to 5 megawatts and melt their eyes. It'd be kinda hard to nosedive into the White House then.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This is not the lasers that were being projected into cockpits of commerial flights recently. They haven't started operational testing of this warning system yet, and its designed to be non-distracting and certainly non-blinding.

People have admited to having pointed lasers into helicopter cockpits.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Yes, these are part of the laser problems- widely reported to be some act of terrorism...no body knew what they were- Sure, then you have the guy playing with his kid in the backyard who was booked under a terrorism act.
This is most certainly part of that "terror" boogy woogy of not so long ago.
Ironic.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
How do you figure since its a differnt kind of laser that hasn't been used publically and even when it is its only for dc?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
I must admit when I saw the threads about terroists using lasers to down aircraft I couldn't believe people were taking it seriously. Couldn't help but chuckle.

you can do whatever you want, but i live in colorado springs and the incidents that happened here were totally real. it wasnt towlies so it wasnt terrorists? it was still an act of terrorism as it made people terrified and endangered human lives, it just want politcally motivated, it was dumb kids.

ok i wasnt really clear about how i feel about it after re reading the other posts. THERE IS NO LEGITIMATE REASON TO POINT A LASER INTO A JETS COCKPIT. It was not intended to terroize but thats exactly what happened. if you do something that stupid you deserve to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

what if the plane/helicoptor would have crashed? what if someone you loved was on that plane. you would not pursue legal actions against the idiot that pointed the laser into the pilots eyes? you would just say "I couldn't believe people were taking it seriously."

[edit on 18-2-2005 by jprophet420]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
You're right. This is nothing to laugh about. It could have had very serious results.--My question is, why were the feds looking for terrorists doing this when all along it was the government doing it? One hand doesnt know what the other hand is doing? A little terror would be good for the masses? Its all very sick if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
It distinctly said in the article that this would only be used over DC for now. Which part of the fact that the problems last month took place over other cities are you not understanding?

To decide that this new system means all the recent laser incidents were done by the government (no doubt in your opinion at Bush's personal urging) is being misinformed at the very least.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums

To decide that this new system means all the recent laser incidents were done by the government (no doubt in your opinion at Bush's personal urging) is being misinformed at the very least.
Bush's personal urging...you're a riot.
- Sure, its nonrelated at all, if you say so. I'm having a hard time swallowing this one. Got water?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
yeah that was part of my point that the incidents that happened here were not done by government...

ok so heres a conspiracy theory. whomever got busted for it out here was a patsy for the government. colorado springs is also known as 'air force academy' and is located under chyene mountain. It WAS government that did it here as this is a significant military target and as i said they found a patsy to blame.

i dont really believe that, but to count that out would 'not be prudent at this juncture in time'.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Ok let's try a new concept, it's called fact.

www.dailyrecord.com...

On Wednesday night, a pilot preparing to land the jet at Teterboro reported seeing three green laser beams about 11 miles from the airport.

In addition to the Teterboro incidents, federal agents are looking into recent reports of lasers being shone at aircraft in Colorado Springs, Colo., Cleveland, Washington, Houston and Medford, Ore.

Now read the CNN article you posted a link to.

Hmm... green and red alternating vs. three green beams...

Hmm... DC only vs. 5 other cities...

Hmm... FBI investigating incidents that the government was perpetrating.

Sorry, doesn't add up.

I'm a riot, but at least I'm not so obsessed with this administration that I invent charges when I'm out of material.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
what if the plane/helicoptor would have crashed?

Please,
any laser available to the public is not powerfull enough to premenently blind the pilot from that kind of distance. The large planes practically fly themselves when crusing. The only time I could see it causing a crash is during a landing/ takeoff, and even then I am skeptical that any momentary flash/distraction could not be recoverd from. Thats why they have co-pilots. Plus now the inustry is using lasers, can't be that dangerous can they?
This terrorism thing is going to far. Anything that causes fear is terrorism??
Come on people get real, if the motive behind the act is intended to bring about social or political change then it is terrorism. Otherwise it is idiots that should be prosicuted under malicious mischief laws.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You underestimate me, darling...I have a full life..and only obsess when i am done living the "FULL" part of my life and come to ATS for awhile.
PS...who mentioned Bush anyways? The man isnt even told about such trivial things on a daily basis...and he doesnt do "newspapers"

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Halfofone

Originally posted by jprophet420
what if the plane/helicoptor would have crashed?

Please,
any laser available to the public is not powerfull enough to premenently blind the pilot from that kind of distance. The large planes practically fly themselves when crusing. The only time I could see it causing a crash is during a landing/ takeoff, and even then I am skeptical that any momentary flash/distraction could not be recoverd from. Thats why they have co-pilots. Plus now the inustry is using lasers, can't be that dangerous can they?
This terrorism thing is going to far. Anything that causes fear is terrorism??
Come on people get real, if the motive behind the act is intended to bring about social or political change then it is terrorism. Otherwise it is idiots that should be prosicuted under malicious mischief laws.

the one that happened in my town was during landing.
there is a warning sticker on all laser diodes/devices.

Green Laser Pointer Specs

GLP - 3

GLP - 5
Laser Type:

Frequency doubled, class IIIA laser. FDA approved.

same
Power Output:*

~ 3 mW

~ 5 mW
Wavelength:

532 nm, green
# Class 3a
Class 3a lasers or laser systems include all lasers that have an accessible output between 1 and 5 mW. These lasers do not present a problem for momentary viewing due the aversion reflex however viewing with an optical instrument is a hazard. An example would be a laser pointer.

as you can see if the pilot was wearing glasses it could directly damage his eyes DIRECTLY causing a crash. If he was not wearing glasses it willl cause the aversion reflex indirectly casueing a crash.

also, with minimal modification i could bump up the power output on that laser and blind you quite easilly.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
If this if that.... I still maintain that any serious terrorist would get much better effects using directly destructive methods.
Flashing naked breasts at a busdriver in the middle of a intersection could distract him causeing a multi car pile-up, and multiple deaths. does that make that woman a terrorist? No.
Does she deserve to go to jail? I think so. but not unter terrorism laws.

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Halfofone]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
ok, well reword the scenario a little bit and all is well.

you have to be a blooming idio to point a laser pointer at a pilot flying a plane, so you deserve to be prosecuted under the blooming idiot law, and held accountable for the lives of every person that was on the aircraft that you jeapordized the safety of.

it wasnt an act of political terroism, it was just an act that caused terror and endangered human lives.

ill agree that they werent terroists against the state if you agree they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for endangering lives.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Ok I will agree to that.

Yes they are stupid for doing what they did but the reaction is a bit much. If their intent was malicious then they are lible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join