It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Genetic "Doping" Imminent Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
A new technology has sports officials worried that its use may be rampant by the 2008 summer games. Called genetic doping. it involves the transfer of genes into the cells to create a hybrid DNA that can promote muscle growth or increase a persons endurance. AT this point this procedure is not detectable.

story.news.yahoo.com
PORTLAND, Ore. - The 2008 Olympics are still a long way away but worries are already growing about whether it will become the first genetically enhanced competition in amateur sports.

Dr. Theodore Friedmann, a top adviser to the World Anti-Doping Agency, said the arrival of so-called "gene doping" to enhance performance is "inevitable."

"The question, of course, is how genetic technology can be used to push the performance of athletes, and at what point does that kind of manipulation cease to be sport and become just an exercise in biotechnology," Friedmann said.

Gene doping involves transferring genes directly into human cells to blend into an athlete's own DNA in order to enhance muscle growth and increase strength or endurance.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Given the money that is involved in sports it inevitable that athletes will have access to cutting edge technology. However, since its hit mainstream science, you have to wonder if the U.S. or other country already has "enhanced" soldiers running around?

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
...or imminent oppertunity ? can do a lot of good stuff with it as well, all in the eye of the testtuber....

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Uh no. 2004 was arguably the first, some say it was 2000. 2008 is the first Summer olympics where the first scandel will happen, because the science of catching those athletes will catch up. I betcha any money the Chinese and Americans are gonna vying for the lead for the most doped athletes.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Ohmyohmy. Just think what they can do to soldiers.

'Tis truly a brave new world we're into here.

Good find FredT.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Where can I get this gene doping done? .. lol

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I can think of one product that is very close to market. I forget the name, but its used to treat patients with Muscle Dystrophy. It is also possible to use this drug to increase muscle mass through direct injections. I believe it may also be alot safer then Steriods but who knows, only time will tell. I wound't mind getting some gene doping mods if they are proven safe that is... I have heard of alot of Cancers and sudden deaths arrising from Gene Thereapy trials, so I hope these athletes know what they are getting themselves into...

Here is another article...

www.betterhumans.com...

[edit on 13-2-2005 by sardion2000]

top topics

join