It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wear your seat belt you selfish Ahole

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
While many people (men) view themselves as invincible, you're not. And neither are the rest of us.

The human experience is odd, no one has the answers, but we all have to be considerate.

A very good man I've know for years passed on Thanksgiving leaving a loving and lovely wife, and two daughters, 4 and 6. The crash left two injured and him dead because he didn't buckle up.

No one thinks you're macho because you don't buckle up, you're not invincible. Our actions have ramifications, we have to leave selfishness aside and do what is right for those around us.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Not much more to say than...

Amen, brother!!

Only stupidity explains not buckling up. My car doesn't move until everyone is buckled in. It may not make a difference, but than again, it may make all the difference.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Same could be said for drinking.

Same could be said about smoking.

Same could be said about eating habits.

Same could be said about not exercising. Large list really.

Freedom is for everyone, and there are things that are obviously "unsafe" to some and others ignore.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
My motorcycle doesn't have a seatbelt.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

We all have the choice to ear like chit, drive without a seat belt, drink like a sailor....

But at the end of the day, freedom is only as beautiful as the citizens we hold dear.

If you want to be selfish, you have the freedom to do so. If you decide to be selfish, the rest of us has the freedom to call you a selfish asshole.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

May you be blessed with freedom, may you also be blessed with reality.

If you have young kids, I hope you preserve your life. You can be the best driver... But all it takes is a bad one on the other side of the road.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Freedom is a wonderful thing, but it also comes with a great deal of responsibility.

No one has the power to make you do the things you should, and that is the first lesson you need to learn when you're grated your freedom. It's why kids have parents. Good parents will hopefully raise their kids to do right by themselves or at least teach them to own the consequences of their poor choices in life.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Correct, freedom gives the average person certain rights . And of course others can disagree but at the end of the day personal responsibility and freedom go hand in hand.

In most areas seat belts are legally required. So that is one freedom that has disappeared. Wonder what freedom we will say good bye to next?

edit on 27-11-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Freedom is for everyone, and there are things that are obviously "unsafe" to some and others ignore.

Whats the expression, your rights end where my nose begins.

Problem is, when you crash, you go through the windshield and into my windshield, then that will injure me, along with shards of glass landing on the passengers in your car...so, no seatbelt wearing effects those around you, meaning, it is basically my right to demand you do something to ensure I don't have to deal with your sillyness.

Driving isn't a right

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

That is a situation you encounter often?

link   

In most areas seat belts are legally required. So that is one freedom that has disappeared. Wonder what freedom we will say good bye to next?

Driving isn't covered by the constitution. You gotta obey laws, no freedom to go 100mph in a school zone...seems common sense

link   

That is a situation you encounter often?

Car accidents?

More often than I would care to

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

No, the other driver crashing through their windshield and going through the air and crashing through your windshield injuring you.
I imagine this would be a head on crash with some serious "English" to get the body to go diagonal to hit you.

I agree with wearing the seat belt-I do not agree with a law forcing people to do so.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Don't you know the seatbelt conspiracy? If you fly out the windshield you don't have the same impact as if being belted in

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Until the mid 1990's you had the freedom to not where your seat belt. Then a law forced people to wear it.

Agree with the new law or not some amount of freedom was given up. Does the law have good intentions-yes. Do I agree with it no.
And I do not endorse driving 100 MPH in a school zone or anywhere on public roads.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

No, the other driver crashing through their windshield and going through the air and crashing through your windshield injuring you.
I imagine this would be a head on crash with some serious "English" to get the body to go diagonal to hit you.

I agree with wearing the seat belt-I do not agree with a law forcing people to do so.

this is one law im ok with. whatever freedoms it restricts are minimal, i mean what, u cant do your yoga in your car while driving down the road with a seatbelt on...? it does prevent huge costs to the taxpayers having to deal with the aftermath when people dont wear a seatbelt and have a crash. on the other hand were always in need of organ donors. one thing i dont agree with is the cost of fines from traffic violations such as not wearing a seatbelt. the fines in my area can quickly put someone thats living paycheck to paycheck out on the street from one simple mistake. in many cases the fines will exceed the value of the car being driven. the economic hurdle is real in society
edit on 27-11-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: eXia7

May you be blessed with freedom, may you also be blessed with reality.

If you have young kids, I hope you preserve your life. You can be the best driver... But all it takes is a bad one on the other side of the road.

Yeah I don't have kids, so if I die, it wouldn't really matter lol.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

The thing about freedom and giving it up is that drawing conclusions about size of freedom given up or freedom given up for safety can lead to very bad unintended consequences.
Or saying to yourself that I think this (new law) is worth giving up my freedoms for, after all everyone is safer, so it would seem that everyone should agree with me. This is a simple but flawed thought process and it is used to slowly strip freedoms from people.

I stepped back from the obviously great idea it is to wear a seat belt when the law was made to force people to wear it. That is not what freedom is about. I support wearing the belt, I do not support the law.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I'm guilty of never wearing my seat belt. It's not a macho thing. It's because I grew up during the time when many didn't wear seat belts. Our seat belts were the hand of our parents keeping us from sliding and hitting the dash board when they had to make sudden stops. I don't know how old your male friend was, but many guys my age have a bad habit of not using their seat belt. My wife is always after me about putting it on. I really don't think about it when I enter my car. I keep telling myself I need to start wearing it all the time, but it totally escapes my mind.

Having said that, my wife has got me in the habit of wearing it when were traveling on long trips, but I think the chances of me getting in an accident on the thruway is really much less than in city driving! I know in my state, it's illegal not to wear your seat belt, but the only time they'll fine you is if you're pulled over for a traffic violation. Motorcyclists don't have to wear helmets in my state which is much more dangerous, so I feel the law has a double standard.

I hope your post helps me break my bad habit. Maybe I should try putting a sticky note on the dash to remind myself to buckle up when I get in the car. That would be a good start.

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Until the mid 1990's you had the freedom to not where your seat belt. Then a law forced people to wear it.

And who do you think might have been behind those laws? Do you think legislators grew a conscience and wanted to protect people? Or could it have been insurance companies who wanted to minimize their payouts?

I always buckle up before I start the car. I insist my passengers do also. Not because of any law, but because it's common sense. If there was no law, I would still buckle up.

In case I was unclear, Seasonal, I agree with you. If people need a law to replace common sense, then I say let natural selection take its course. Seat belt laws are designed for two things: insurance company profits and government revenue. I see a lot of TV commercials with the theme, "Cops are really looking out for seat belt violations right now. Buckle up." Who pays for those? Have you ever seen a TV commercial saying, "Cops are really looking out for meth users right now. Don't do meth."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join