It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migrating Operating System on to New Drive (assistance sought)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Thank you. I understand that now about the BIOS. I can remember where the BOOT sequence menu is.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: gr8skott

originally posted by: Revolution9
a very complex set up of many programs that takes weeks to configure

Weeks? Lmao. Ok.

Why mess with it at all then. Just use the new drive as a slave for files and databases and leave the drive with your precious configuration alone.

I'm not joking. It really does take ages. It's frightening. I have so much software. It is all legit, too. I have paid for it. Top notch quality. i have been at this for ages. I blooming LOVE IT! I live for it. The programs you have to download and some of them are like 10 - 20 GB each. I have software from so many companies. America is way ahead in the music software. It's mind blowing good. Spectrasonics, Eventide, UAD are my favourites. I use Steinberg for my studio. I have everything that Steinberg have produced. I use Cubase 9.5. They just bought out a wicked update. Eventide just made the best software Limiter and final master plug in I have ever heard called ELEVATE. It is a way expensive hobby.

I will make a few threads about my experiences. I have been doing this for 17 years now. I expect i have some useful educational experience to offer by now.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ttropia

Thanks for the advice!

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
If you are getting that Samsung, use their software without reserve.

I was skeptical about it, but was extremely impressed when using it on smaller SSDs (usually 500gb).

Its actually a really neat piece of software, very easy to use and has been exceptionally reliable.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Clonezilla, free software to duplicate the original drive and then MiniTool partition wizard (free) to resize the partitions.

Don't over complicate and try and get some software that does everything at once.

In this instance, you only copy the original drive, it is untouched, so if after copying and resizing the new drive is unbootable, you can try it all again with different option parameters. No data loss.

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I use parted magic.. One of the programs included on the disk is for cloning very simple to use and works every time and is quite quick.. a reply to: Revolution9

edit on 17-11-2017 by gimcrackery because: added more information

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join