It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern Ireland Is A Perfect Model For Solving The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I just read this great article on how Northern Ireland Is A Perfect Model For Solving The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, and I thought that I might share it here
Read more: forward.com...
I think we are at the start of a time where we need to work towards solutions for issues Like Israel.
What do you think, any other possibie solutions ?

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

Unless Ireland has had two separate factions of the same religion fighting each other for over a thousand years, they're not even close to comparison.

ETA: It's not just about Jews and Arabs getting along, it requires Sunnis and Shiites to get along as well, and that will never happen. The Islamic extremists will kill any kind of joint collaboration.

edit on 15-11-2017 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The problems in Northern Ireland were solved because the terrorism was defeated and they IRA realised thay they would not defeat the British state.

The situation in Israel is somewhat different.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
Your a touch wrong there Paraphi.
The problems in NI were they did not want ruling from England (Westminster), though they called it British out, it was England really.
Then they wanted unification with Southern Ireland. That is the basics.
Now the "terrorists" have never been defeated, they just stopped doing what they were doing. I won't go into the semantics of the "terrorists" as the majority were criminal gangs.
Now if you look back the "problem" was dissolved because their main reasons for "fighting" and for support from their grassroots people faded away. ie. rule from Westminster and unification were moot points after the UK decided to join the EU. The political arm of the IRA knew this and suddenly started to play the political game and get themselves elected to Westminster, even though they didn't attend.
Suddenly they were not ruled from England but Brussels and they had tacit unification. Reason for terrorists gone.
Now Israel is a different kettle of fish as in Israel you have different factions of jews, mainly Hasidics, who don't want to capitulate or integrate. The same with the Palestinians, they have their own factions plus outside factions that do not want to capitulate or integrate.
There is no comparison.

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
From the op link:

Allport’s Intergroup Contact Theory, a leading theory in conflict resolution which calls for avoidance of discussing the conflict, and focus on creating positive human interactions, in intergroup meetings. The benefits of this theory are marked, proven to both break stereotypes and lower fear. However, it does carry a drawback, as by not addressing the different group narratives, the minority group leaves feeling disenfranchised by the lack of recognition of the unequal status quo; and the majority group leaves with more positivity and a lower drive for social change. In short, people leave less discriminatory but only on a personal level, not on a group level.

This is the first that I’ve ever heard of the Intergroup Contact Theory.

There are so many nuances and twists to the Palestinian/Israeli conflict, that I’d rather not offer opinion on the matter itself, however, the best way to build bridges is to work together for the common goal, rather than focusing on the chasms and voids that separate.

edit on 11/15/17 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC
I just read this great article on how Northern Ireland Is A Perfect Model For Solving The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, and I thought that I might share it here
I think we are at the start of a time where we need to work towards solutions for issues Like Israel.
Solution??? Yes...Move the Palestinians to Jordan where they belong...And put a fence around them...

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
The problems in NI were they did not want ruling from England (Westminster), though they called it British out, it was England really.
Then they wanted unification with Southern Ireland. That is the basics.

Yes, but it was a minority who wanted separation from the UK. That remains the case today, as it has been since 1921 when Ireland was partitioned.

The history of Irish republicanism in Northern Ireland is marred by an attempt to use bombs rather than the ballot box. The bombs and the brutality did not work. As time went on the terrorists (for that's what they were), starting to be killed in increasing numbers, and the general population did not like seeing the children being killed by these thugs, or people disappearing never to be seen again.

Remember the Disappeared

The British State defeated the IRA militarily and thus forced reversion to the ballot box. This ain't going to happen in Palestine and Israel.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Or better still, force the Israelies to leave the illegal settlements they stole.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   

lol All I know to say is, "Up the IRA!"

The Irish-English conflict took many centuries to come to where it is now. Frankly, how long do you honostly expect the peace to last there? There are still active cells of the real IRA abd the new IRA. They still attack police, and plot elaborate attacks with sophisticated explosives. Let's just wait and make sure the aolution there qorked before applying it elsewhere.

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
How do you come to a solution or compromise when one side has clearly stated for hundreds of years they only want the complete annihilation of the other side?

posted on Nov, 16 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
How do you come to a solution or compromise when one side has clearly stated for hundreds of years they only want the complete annihilation of the other side?

So from I am reading from the above none of you think that a solution to Israeli-Palestinian Conflict is possible? I disagree I think a solution to this conflict is possible, but all sides must genuinely want it. Whats the other option Intervention by an Angel called Gabriel. The last time that Angel was asked to sort out places like Jerusalem, his recommendation was to destroy it and re-build it from the ashes. Im not joking you have no idea how close you are coming to this happening -- hartman.org.il...
Be under no illusion it will be destroyed.The "mighty one" will shake the entire creation and building of Zion. It will be razed in order to be rebuilt if peace cannot be reached.I really hope that we as a race can work together and get solutions to issues like the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict. We need to move on and to work on resolving Political, Religious Race and Civil issues. We need solutions,not barriers, we need to see and work towards Light!
With regards to the IRA being defeated by the English - here's a song by the wolfe tones - Grace.
www.youtube.com...
The Irish reference was not made without reason

edit on 16-11-2017 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   

So from I am reading from the above none of you think that a solution to Israeli-Palestinian Conflict is possible?

Oh, I think a solution is possible. It involves two things...

1. Those countries who don't want peace should withdraw. I am specifically looking at Iran here who fund and support groups like Hezbollah. These groups are part of Iran's desire to remove Israel.
2. True representatives of those impacted by the long-running conflict need to talk. They need to conclude a two-state solution.

The Middle East is not Ireland, and what worked in Ireland won't work here. There are probably more lessons to learn from the successful attempts at truth and reconciliation as shown in South Africa.

new topics

top topics

join