It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Working with Nature to clean up the Environment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Scientist have created a "proof of concept" where they are able to use a genetically modified mustard palnt to absorb selenium a toxic heavy metal. The plant absorbs the selenium and converts it to a harmless gas. The plant is not yet ready for commercial use but they are hopeful that it will be soon. They are also investigating the possible use of other plants to clean up mecury.

www.wired.com
Genetically modified plants may be the green solution for cleaning up contaminated soils.
The results of a successful field trial in California last year were published last week in the online arm of Environmental Science & Technology. They showed that genetic engineering boosted a plant's ability to absorb selenium, a toxic heavy metal, by 430 percent.

"It was our first trial, and we were surprised at how well it worked," said study author Norman Terry, a professor of plant and microbial biology with the University of California, Berkeley.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a very great stride in the right direction. Man finally working with nature to help clean up mankind's mess.
We are already using types of algae to clean up oil spills. Maybe soon we can even use natural sources to, dare I say it?, clean up our trash, plastics etc.
There futrue is starting to look better and greener to me now!

Related News Links:
pubs.acs.org
www.appliedphytogenetics.com

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Good find, and good news! I do worry about genetic modifications but find I am more accepting when it's for such good purposes. ...But as I recall, many natural plants have the ability to take certain things out of the soil and put other things in too. Worth watching anyway. Thanks.

join